The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I've never replaced shit and I just hit 125k last night. Interested to see/learn more...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Never heard that before.

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yes the PCV is a check valve and that is why I suggested blowing through it to see if it is faulty or not. By removing the hose at the throttle body and blowing in the direction of the block, it should be closed. Only flow from the block to the throttle body should be observed.

Otherwise if it does not act like a check valve then it is essentially a massive leak of pressure escaping into the block.

@HolyCrapItsFast

I've been reading more about the PCV system and I think I understand a little more of what's going on here. Does the PCV valve you were referring to that comes out of the block and goes to the throttle body (I think) operate as a one way check valve (unless it's broken)? I wonder if I should consider replacing that valve, which seems somewhat possible without tearing down the top half of the motor.

I need to get another pneumatic hose fitting before I can blow air through that valve (or attempt to). I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

I guess I also don't fully understand how a broken pcv valve would cause this problem. Can anyone help me out there?

Idk if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that Subaru recommends replacing the valve every 15,000 miles. That sounds like some ridiculous bullshit to me, but who knows...

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yes the PCV is a check valve and that is why I suggested blowing through it to see if it is faulty or not. By removing the hose at the throttle body and blowing in the direction of the block, it should be closed. Only flow from the block to the throttle body should be observed.

Otherwise if it does not act like a check valve then it is essentially a massive leak of pressure escaping into the block.

I guess I just didn't know whether air would/could escape into the block. Once I get that different pneumatic fitting, I'll try to blow through the PCV valve as you described. I was planning on doing that today, but I can hardly talk. Throat is all swollen and fucked up. I should probably go to bed when I get home. I'll definitely be doing this sometime this week. Come to think of it, I might actually have an extra pneumatic fitting that would do the job in my box-o-random-parts in the garage.

IF the PCV valve is bad, and it allows air to escape into the block, how difficult is it to change? I can get a finger on it, but don't think I could get a tool in there without removing a ton of stuff.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Nope. It's been slow going around here for the past week. I didn't happen to have the air fitting I need in the garage and then I came down with this plague-like chest cold. Just getting over it now...coughed up some blood this morning (coughing so hard last night broke some blood vessels). Between work and school, I don't have a lot of extra free time. I'd like to be able to get the PCV valve checked this week/weekend.

If it turns out to be the PCV valve that is bad, I'm considering having a local shop replace it. The valves themselves are very cheap, but replacing it looks like a bitch and a half.

Nope. It's been slow going around here for the past week. I didn't happen to have the air fitting I need in the garage and then I came down with this plague-like chest cold. Just getting over it now...coughed up some blood this morning (coughing so hard last night broke some blood vessels). Between work and school, I don't have a lot of extra free time. I'd like to be able to get the PCV valve checked this week/weekend.

If it turns out to be the PCV valve that is bad, I'm considering having a local shop replace it. The valves themselves are very cheap, but replacing it looks like a bitch and a half.
You got this the PCV valve is very doable for you to replace. Sorry you caught the plague it went thru my home last month.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Coughing up blood again this morning. If that lasts more than another day, I might have to tell my doctor about it again. Pretty sure I just broke a couple blood vessels from coughing, but this is starting to get ridiculous.*

Replacing the valve doesn't look too bad, but it's buried amongst a ton of other shit that will likely need removed in order for me to get to the valve itself. We'll see.

Today is my long day, so there's definitely not going to be any movement on it today. Biology from 8-10am, then work from 10am-6pm, then Philosophy from 6-10pm. :shock:

*EDIT: I've been joking around about the plague and all, but just read something about coughing up blood being an actual symptom of the plague. :lol: I'm pretty sure I just broke a couple blood vessels, but I have a dark sense of humor and found that kind of funny somehow.

4b174ef702ac3a7ed7be8f00441a9fa7.jpg

Last edited:
First... Eewww!
Second, I do hope you feel better!
Third, Don't wait to see a doctor!!!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I was at the doctor yesterday. He figured the same thing I did, coughing hard broke blood vessels and it pooled up overnight till I woke up. But if it continues, I'll go back. The office is less that 1/2 mile from my work, so I can drop in whenever I need to.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Fuck dude... get better asap!!!!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Thanks buddy. This has been a real bitch for at least a week, and worst of all, Jen caught it from me. So now, we'll probably share it back and forth for a month.

Oh well...30 minutes to go and then it's off to class, to listen to a 75-year old professor read from a textbook written by a shameless moonbat who writes the lesson outlines like a staunch Marxist, circa 1935 Russia.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
FML. If I want to meet these insane deadlines that are being imposed on the lab, then I need to stay here today for at least 10 more hours. Then, I MUST come in tomorrow for 4 hours, but will probably end up staying at least 8...

Reason # 5,932 that I never get anything fixed on the Batmobile. :banghead:

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Well, I put in 5 hours at the lab today when I would have preferred to have been working on the Subaru. Gotta do what you gotta do, though.

In other news, I'm done coughing up blood, so it looks like I'll survive. Also, on the way back from work, I stopped by Ace Hardware and got the pneumatic fitting I needed, so now I can test the suspect PCV valve.

More to come this weekend (I hope).

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hows the car coming along and hope your over your cold. PS post a new pic so we don't have to see your bloody mucus pic in our news feed LMAO

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I am better now, but still too busy with school and bullshit like this at work. I worked both Saturday and Sunday when I could have been working on the car. Hopefully that doesn't become a trend.
Between school and work, tomorrow is a 16 hour day. I've always been a busy guy, but this shit is starting to get ridiculous.

5615ed4858c833d3bf4df0ee98ce67de.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Lol. The job I was at, yeah, we had surplus. Sig gen too. Lol

Quite a few of them are $80-120K each because they are equipped with the new Real-Time Spectrum and Fast Fourier Transform functions. We got a good deal on one a few months ago for $60K. Real-Time is super helpful when trying to identify what component(s) are emitting the unwanted RF noise. FFT is a life saver when running quasi-peak measurements; bringing 5 hour scans down to 20-30 minutes (depending on scan parameters).