The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Agreed, ditch that and get a killer pickup tube. The OEM ones have a high failure rate due to being brazed and not welded.

I decided to go with the Moroso tube. Killer B makes good stuff, but there's no good reason for their pickup tube to be twice as much $ as the Moroso. Crazy shit, paying that much ($180) for a glorified pipe.

...and continue to post pictures so we can tell you what you're doing wrong! :lol:

Will do! :lol: In all seriousness, let me know anytime you see anything hokey. I have never done this before.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I decided to go with the Moroso tube. Killer B makes good stuff, but there's no good reason for their pickup tube to be twice as much $ as the Moroso. Crazy shit, paying that much ($180) for a glorified pipe.

Will do! :lol: In all seriousness, let me know anytime you see anything hokey. I have never done this before.

Let me know your impressions of the Moroso when it arrives. I am going to replace my tube sometime soon.

Only reason I went with killers vs Morison was because the killer b has a v at the bottom that prevents you from putting it in and being too close to the bottom of the pan. If you were to hit a rock or something that dents your pan at the location of the pickup tube you could potentially starve your motor for oil. As you can see in this picture.

de02710c2d389a73e792b1947a8cdd85.jpg

Also the killer b pickup tube has better bracing to prevent movement of the tube, this eliminating possible cracks at welds. At least that was my thoughts between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Fair enough, though I'm not too worried about either of those potential issues. If I was beating the car off-road, that might be different. Plus, I have a HUGE skid plate protecting the engine and oil pan.

Fair enough, though I'm not too worried about either of those potential issues. If I was beating the car off-road, that might be different. Plus, I have a HUGE skid plate protecting the engine and oil pan.

Also another thing to do is check the clearance between the bottom of your pan and the pickup tube once you get the Moroso one.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
So I guess I should order this:

IAG-ENG-1720-400.jpg

"Not planning on reusing your original short block service plugs and covers? IAG offers a simple comprehensive cover and seal kit that includes (1) Rear main seal, (3) OEM wrist pin plugs, (3) OEM wrist pin plug washers, (1) OEM separator cover, (6) OEM separator cover bolts, (1) OEM wrist pin service cover, (1) OEM wrist pin service cover O-ring and (2) OEM wrist pin service cover screws. *If you are reusing your original wrist pin service plugs and covers always replace the (3) OEM wrist pin plug washers and (1) wrist pin service cover O-ring before installing a short block to avoid potential leaks. *Never reuse a rear main seal on a new short block."

I don't know why, but I originally planned to reuse my factory hardware if it looked to be in good shape (and it does). But now I'm not so sure, and will probably call Jordan back again today.

I would just clean up and reuse the original hardware kit. I assume you bought an ORM gasket set for the new build. It should have the crush washers for the plugs and the print for small cover on the back. Just use some grey RTV on the larger back cover and clean them really well. Not that you will ever see it. Also make sure you go and get some new bolts for those back plates when to put them back. I like to use stainless hex bolts instead of Phillips head screw. I find it?s easier to take off latter. I also use a drop of thread locker blue on the threads for ease of mind that they will never back out once torqued down.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I would just clean up and reuse the original hardware kit. I assume you bought an ORM gasket set for the new build. It should have the crush washers for the plugs and the print for small cover on the back. Just use some grey RTV on the larger back cover and clean them really well. Not that you will ever see it. Also make sure you go and get some new bolts for those back plates when to put them back. I like to use stainless hex bolts instead of Phillips head screw. I find it?s easier to take off latter. I also use a drop of thread locker blue on the threads for ease of mind that they will never back out once torqued down.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I just met up with Joe (WRB_STi) at his facility during lunch to pick up some seals and take a look at my heads, and he said the same thing you did.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Moroso Oil Pickup Tube arrived today. It seems to be very well made and the mounting depth in the oil pan is identical to the OEM pickup.

f84059977a4ea3626793dbe44f1eeed6.jpg
17188d5f8ea0a7cdf412b1e281c2a057.jpg

aeddecd35ffed1580617985a970a90ab.jpg
b0f0826c041774b1894f4f07823da15a.jpg
66c22569ed97030738205f1a4bd044a1.jpg

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Kinda sucks you never get to see the pickup ever again once its in there. Kinda puuurty.

I agree!

I was a little bit hesitant when ordering this pickup tube, since everyone recommends the Killer B pickup. But after getting my hands on the Moroso and seeing how well it's made, I can hardly imagine spending literally twice as much for the Killer B pickup.

Forgot that you may want to pick up a set of these for your head since it will be open.

dd1eb9b8e9643ad45735caeccfc2b328.jpg

1b0ca173f713dfadbf57e30c4a753391.jpg

Close to the same price as orm but you will never have to replace them. I got a set for this build since I didn?t want to buy another set of OEM?s.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Are those the valve cover half moons?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Very interesting! What're the benefits over normal rubber ones?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
After 70,000 hard, daily driven and flogged miles on the Batmobile, and seeing what great shape everything is in, I can't imagine I'll have any quality or leaking issues after my build is complete. And I am sealing up a lot of stuff with Permatex, for an added layer of leak protection. But I will definitely look into those. I'm really not familiar with most of this stuff. I'm fairly mechanically competent, but this is still the first engine I've had out of anything, unless we're counting weed whackers. :lol:

Also, I'm pretty sure my gasket and seal kit came with new ones, just not billet IAG ones.

After 70,000 hard, daily driven and flogged miles on the Batmobile, and seeing what great shape everything is in, I can't imagine I'll have any quality or leaking issues after my build is complete. And I am sealing up a lot of stuff with Permatex, for an added layer of leak protection. But I will definitely look into those. I'm really not familiar with most of this stuff. I'm fairly mechanically competent, but this is still the first engine I've had out of anything, unless we're counting weed whackers. :lol:

Also, I'm pretty sure my gasket and seal kit came with new ones, just not billet IAG ones.

Is your gasket and seal kit the oem subaru one? If so it does not come with new half moons. There are actually a few gaskets that kit does not come with. Like turbo to down pipe gasket, up pipe to turbo gasket, half moon seals.