Likes Likes:  985
Page 153 of 160 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 1592

Thread: The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

1. Top Of Page | #1521
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Not long after Joe left and I went to Independence Day celebrations, our home's (current home, that we are selling in 2 weeks) AC shit the bed. By the time I got home, it was 90 degrees in the house. So I spent the next, 95 degree, afternoon replacing the fan and compressor capacitors and the fan motor. So I got nothing car related done.

But hey, at least I was able to fix it myself and didn't need to spend hundreds on a pro. I guess that's the upside.

Last edited by Batmobile_Engage; 07-08-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IGOTASTi View Post
    I will put the last drop of oil on Earth in my turbocharged machine and smile amongst the carcinogenic fumes as I burn T-Rex’s family tree just so I can pass you, sideways in the middle of a blizzard.
    Member Journal: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?5453-The-Batmobile_Engage-Member-Journal

2. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Eagleye, Alin liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #1522

User Info Menu

I am currently getting quotes to have our HVAC system replaced...talk about a painful bill. Congrats on getting yours repaired. I appreciate the time I spent years ago working construction to gain a lot of real world skills that help our family save a lot of money on house repairs and projects. It amazes me that we put emphasis on memorizing bullshit that is irrelevant in the real world over teaching skills like money management and simple home/car repairs in our high schools. Not everyone is going to college and even if they do, how many get a job that has something to do with their degree? Presidential candidates want to slash taxes or give people $1,000 a month for nothing...maybe we could teach a man to fish instead? Sorry...don't mind my passive aggressive thoughts on how this country is run haha.

15 GBP STi

4. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Batmobile_Engage, Alin liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #1523

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    I am currently getting quotes to have our HVAC system replaced...talk about a painful bill. Congrats on getting yours repaired. I appreciate the time I spent years ago working construction to gain a lot of real world skills that help our family save a lot of money on house repairs and projects. It amazes me that we put emphasis on memorizing bullshit that is irrelevant in the real world over teaching skills like money management and simple home/car repairs in our high schools. Not everyone is going to college and even if they do, how many get a job that has something to do with their degree? Presidential candidates want to slash taxes or give people $1,000 a month for nothing...maybe we could teach a man to fish instead? Sorry...don't mind my passive aggressive thoughts on how this country is run haha.
    Dude, I'm right there with you.

Kids need to learn how to build things with their hands, grow and hunt their own food, do their taxes, create a household budget, hang drywall, shingle a roof, change CV axles and care for children.

But I digress...we could bitch about this all day. Better to end it now before we offend someone.

Last edited by Batmobile_Engage; 07-08-2019 at 10:34 PM.
    I will put the last drop of oil on Earth in my turbocharged machine and smile amongst the carcinogenic fumes as I burn T-Rex’s family tree just so I can pass you, sideways in the middle of a blizzard.
    Member Journal: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?5453-The-Batmobile_Engage-Member-Journal

6. Thanks Eagleye, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Eagleye, Alin liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #1524

User Info Menu

Hoping to find some valve buckets today. My buddy Joe might have some extras laying around at work. Then, whatever he can't find, I will order from Jordan.
    Once those come in, the heads will be complete and I can finish putting the engine together.

8. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #1525

User Info Menu

This is for especially for @Grinder34

I cleaned up the coolant crossover pipe with sandpaper, brake cleaner, and hot water and a scrub pad. Taped it all off and laid on a thick coat of Duplicolor Ceramic Engine Enamel Primer. The finish of the primer is actually nice enough to be a top coat and the gray color should help reduce the amount of thermal and IR radiation that you might otherwise have with a black surface.

Pics: Before and after paint.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

10. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #1526

User Info Menu

I also installed the Torque Solutions billet half moon seals and permatex'd them in place.

12. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  13. Top Of Page | #1527

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    This is for especially for @Grinder34

I cleaned up the coolant crossover pipe with sandpaper, brake cleaner, and hot water and a scrub pad. Taped it all off and laid on a thick coat of Duplicolor Ceramic Engine Enamel Primer. The finish of the primer is actually nice enough to be a top coat and the gray color should help reduce the amount of thermal and IR radiation that you might otherwise have with a black surface.

Pics: Before and after paint.

Also props to fixing the AC yourself. When ours shit the bed a few years ago I didn't know where to even look. Ended up needing a new fan and new capacitors, but finding out which ones I needed, and then finding them in stock with someone that would sell direct to consumer was too difficult, so we ended up paying WAY too much. And then about 3 months later we ended up putting a whole new (larger) system on our roof and putting in two new ducts on the roof too. That was even MORE expensive...yay.

Check out my journal here (Sold)
    My non-subaru journal here!

14. Thanks Alin, Batmobile_Engage thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #1528

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post

Also props to fixing the AC yourself. When ours shit the bed a few years ago I didn't know where to even look. Ended up needing a new fan and new capacitors, but finding out which ones I needed, and then finding them in stock with someone that would sell direct to consumer was too difficult, so we ended up paying WAY too much. And then about 3 months later we ended up putting a whole new (larger) system on our roof and putting in two new ducts on the roof too. That was even MORE expensive...yay.
    Thanks bud! I am pretty handy around the house and a professional electronics technician, so I felt that I should at least take a swing at it. It helped a lot that I have a licensed HVAC friend that could come over in a day or two if I was not successful. Had he not been available, I might not have been so inclined to try it myself. However, after taking off the access panels I thought, "Really, this is it? Well shit...I should do AC repairs on the side." Just taking a peek inside really demystified the whole thing. But like you said, the most difficult thing is finding a place that will sell you the parts. You can buy everything you need on Amazon, but there's always the unknowns, like "did I actually order the right parts"? Most of the places locally I checked with would only sell to me if I had a license, certification or worked for a contractor. Luckily, there is one place in the area that sells parts to the public and their parts guy was nice enough to walk me through the whole replacement.

In the end, it cost me $180 in parts and I saved a couple hundred in labor by doing it myself. But the best part is the learning experience. Now I'm not as hesitant to attempt such things in the future.

16. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  17. Top Of Page | #1529

User Info Menu

Decided to add another coat of the ceramic primer and then got it all fitted and permatex'd in place along with the coolant piping coming off the water pump. There's a couple other brackets and pieces of piping drying out in the garage right now which should be installed tonight.

Luckily, I realized last night that I never installed the upper oil pump seal. So I took that all back apart and tapped that into place with some assembly lube. Thank God, because that would have been a huuuuuge fuck up.

Last edited by Batmobile_Engage; 07-10-2019 at 07:12 AM.

18. Thanks IGOTASTi, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, Alin liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #1530

User Info Menu

A little more done tonight. A lot of this stuff was getting kind of rusty, including some of the factory hose clamps. Some I cleaned up and sprayed a thin coat of rust inhibiting flat black paint, others I replaced with new worm gear style clamps. I also reconditioned or replaced a lot of the hoses.

Pictured: coolant and pcv systems (partial), water pump to oil cooler tube

Last edited by Batmobile_Engage; 07-11-2019 at 09:13 AM.

20. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
Page 153 of 160 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155 ... LastLast