The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Other than going through a Subaru Parts Department, is there a good place to go for OEM hardware? i.e. when I snap off a seized exhaust bolt, stud, etc. what's the easiest way to replace them? The ACE Hardware near me has a great selection, but still leaves much to be desired.

As long as it is not an automotive specialty bolt you can go through McMaster Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/) or a hardware (bolts & nuts...not ACE, Lowes) specific store such as York Fasteners (http://www.yorkfasteners.com/). We use York Fasteners a lot (it helps that they are within a couple miles). If it is auto specific you will probably need to go through Subaru or a site like Rock Auto.

So far I haven?t found a bolt on my 04 that is not a standard thread metric size. That being said, as long as you match up the grade, material, thread and length you should be good. I usually go for stainless steel if I have to replace something that I broke for x reason. Although I?d did strip down every but and bolt off a 2005 STI a few years back and put them all in a box for spares, going forward.

another aide not you can order kits with all the common sizes off of amazon/autozone/o?reilly/Napa. Never a bad idea to have these around in case I need x and all stores are closed etc.

Here is the first example I found from google.

https://usboltkits.com/products/115...7Qt2u9E3s6wGkZ5z4uA2C5Xuq2OyljihoCTdwQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Been away for a few days.

I <3 McMaster for parts. But have you checked RockAuto? They may also, just dunno.

The red will likely darken with heat.

Also, painting calipers that get any *real* heat is likely to end up poorly. I'm also too lazy (its friday!) to scroll back up and remember what paint you used. I'm planning on using G2 paint on mine as that's the only one that I've heard actually holds up. Still worse than powder-coating. So if that's G2, ignore what I said.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Been away for a few days.

I <3 McMaster for parts. But have you checked RockAuto? They may also, just dunno.

The red will likely darken with heat.

Also, painting calipers that get any *real* heat is likely to end up poorly. I'm also too lazy (its friday!) to scroll back up and remember what paint you used. I'm planning on using G2 paint on mine as that's the only one that I've heard actually holds up. Still worse than powder-coating. So if that's G2, ignore what I said.
Nah, it was Duplicolor Ceramic High Temp Engine Enamel, # DE1653 RED.

I am aware of the infamous color changing brakes. I might try to reduce that probably by putting multiple coats of light gray ceramic primer and enamel on before getting to the red. That might create enough of a heat barrier and keep it light red. If it f's up, no big deal, I'll just have them done professionally.

Realistically though, I have a lot on my plate and that is somewhere around #350 on my list.

Speaking of being busy, we might be putting in another offer on a house today. Cross your fingers!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Eagleye

Tinkerer
When we bought our current place, it came out of no where. A lot of stuff went right (and wrong) to end up making it work out. Worth it though, keep us updated!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'm a mortgage lender and I do VA loans. I would love to help you out. I'll beat any deal you are currently being offered. Im with Supreme Lending and you can reach me on my cell 214-793-0264 if you want

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Awesome! I really appreciate it. We haven't quite found the right place yet, and we did get preapproved with at least one lender so far, but I must admit I'm very new to this so my wife is doing most of the paperwork that goes along with it. I will bring this up tonight and I will let you know what we discuss. I'll text you a little later so you'll have my number. You might already, since I've got a bunch of ammo from you in the past. :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Man, i totally missed the next page and didnt see you were a mortgage lender! Dang, if I'd known that a few months ago!

Man, i totally missed the next page and didnt see you were a mortgage lender! Dang, if I'd known that a few months ago!
Well now you know!!! A good interest rate is great but what a lot of people dont realize is that you may actually be paying for that rate unknowingly. Anyway lets get back to car stuff.
[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] have you figured out the moving of the Subi yet?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Small update: [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION] says my cylinder heads should be available for pickup this Friday or the following Monday. Also, I just talked to Jon at TRE in Kalamazoo and he said my transmission should be complete and ready for pickup next week on Friday.

Our new house purchase, the sale of our current home and all the preparation and moving that goes along with it is moving along well. That takes priority over the Subaru, but I still hope to have everything back together in time to move. I don't think I'll be able to get it timed and tuned by then, but I'll leave the driveshaft out and tow the car to the new home and continue there. Hopefully everything else is at least bolted in and ready for startup though.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
UPDATE: Closing on the new house is scheduled for June 27th. So I should be able to start moving stuff to the garage in the new house by the 28th. A couple friends that race vintage Mini's have a car hauler trailer that we might be able to fit the Subie in. If not, then I will keep the driveshaft and the front bumper/fascia/splitter/skid-plate-combo-frankenstein'd unit I have :lol:, off of the car and have a towing company take it over there for me. @WRB_STi is coming over after work one day this week and helping me get the heads put on according to Subaru's procedure, with a calibrated torque wrench.

The trans shop called on Friday and said, "Woops, we damaged your thingamajigger-bearing and we can't get a new one until Tuesday. Sorry." So that's delayed again, but whatever. That'll give me time to get the engine completed on the stand. Then I'll get the trans back, put it in and drop in the engine afterwards. I have no faith that it'll be timed, base tuned and started before we move, but at least everything should be bolted down and ready to go.

I talked to @HolyCrapItsFast last night and I think I'm gonna stick to 93 octane for now, and then I'll drop in his flex fuel kit in a couple months. I did however, buy 16 feet of ethanol resistant, teflon fuel lines and anodized aluminum 6AN fittings last night. They should be here by Wednesday at the latest. It's the type of kit where you have to cut the hose and connect your own fittings. I only need about 12 feet, but the extra length will give me some room to route the new lines as cleanly as possible. I work on delicate, shielded RF cables all the time, so how hard can these be? :unsure: Here goes nothing.

51WT1OjBdDL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

My buddy Phil came over last night for my amazing Steak Frites. We destroyed at least a pound of beef and few craft beers, then put a couple things together.

0bac9d4bb3a6f3d84b70b015c847ac00.jpg

I got the intake manifold connected to the new TGV deletes and torqued down. Also got the new FIC side-to-top feed conversion rails and FIC 1650cc injectors mounted into the TGV bodies.

cfd225fd0fa59779c92a24843df72fd7.jpg

87630536286dcfd38210db7a9433f844.jpg

331ade8c394ced2ce936137ddd9a3b3d.jpg

d3eec991018d3971a7a85d047e573398.jpg

Lastly, my Maddad V2 UEL header that I did a bunch of corrosion control on (with rust stopper and VHT ceramic primer and enamel) was wrapped with DEI Gold Titanium 2"x50' header wrap. It took an entire 2"x50' roll, right down to the last inch, to cover it. I have another roll of 2"x50' (it's not the DEI though, and it's black) that I'm going to use to wrap the up pipe and maybe a short portion of the downpipe with as well. (Zip ties are holding everything in place until I get those metal ties.)

9606cd89be3ae25cacf4d7d9dee8751d.jpg

Aaaand finally, does anyone know if I need to upgrade the two fuel dampeners that are installed on the main fuel supply and return lines near the driver's side strut tower? I've been hearing mixed reviews. Most say they are just fine, others think they will not flow enough fuel for my increased demands. (Fueling on this build is about 3X that of stock.) @Boogieman98 @Eagleye @Alin @HolyCrapItsFast @Grinder34

Last edited:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Looking good man. Sorry but I can't comment directly on the fuel dampeners. I will say if you read mixed thoughts on it and it doesn't hurt (or cost too much) to upgrade them, I would. Any bottlenecks you can remove in fueling is a plus in my experience.