Custom Paint Work: Calipers, Lug Nuts, Hella horns and

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
EDIT: Here's the link to this paint @ Defined Performance.
http://www.definedusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=10000823

I'm thinking about getting a couple cans of this, to paint my Brembo calipers, lug nuts and Hella Supertones.

(My wheels are dark gunmetal, almost black. The car is JBP and the front emblem is changed from blue to pink.)

I think this will look pretty sick, but I wonder if this paint will handle the heat of the calipers. Anyone have
experience with painting calipers? I know I should probably use a high temp paint, but not sure so I'm asking.

Also, has anyone ever sprayed the paint into a cup and brushed it on? I know the best way to do it would be to
take the calipers off of the car and spray them, but was also considering if a good job could be done by taping
everything off and painting them while still on the car.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The Grimmspeed rep responded to my question on rallysportdirect.com. He said it's a very durable
acrylic enamel and holds up well, but he doesn't recommend it on brakes due to the heat...

FML

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/GrimmSpeed-054003-Touch-Up-Paint-Cherry-Blossom-Red-STi-Pink

I'm thinking about getting a couple cans of this, to paint my Brembo calipers, lug nuts and Hella Supertones.

(My wheels are dark gunmetal, almost black. The car is JBP and the front emblem is changed from blue to pink.)

I think this will look pretty sick, but I wonder if this paint will handle the heat of the calipers. Anyone have
experience with painting calipers? I know I should probably use a high temp paint, but not sure so I'm asking.

Also, has anyone ever sprayed the paint into a cup and brushed it on? I know the best way to do it would be to
take the calipers off of the car and spray them, but was also considering if a good job could be done by taping
everything off and painting them while still on the car.

Great idea and thanks for the link. I may have to get some of this for some projects!

I don't think this will withstand the temps your calipers can get to. They more than likely would blister and peel after a short amount of time.
Take them off of the car. Mucho easier in the long run!:tup: Buy some paint specific for extreme heat.

Spray paint is different than that that is mixed and shot through a gun or brush paints. Spray paint is made to "flash off" quickly and thus workable (fluid) time is very short. I have actually shot into a cup (no pun...errr some) and then brushed but generally whatever is in the cup has dried or thickened by the time you have brushed and need a redip. So, not recommended for projects larger than scratches and such.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Even caliper paint changes color at high temps! Google image search "sti brownbo" and you can see the "gold" turns brown, and the red turns black! So your normal-temp paint will definitely brown, maybe even catch fire and do all sorts of bad things!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I think I might just order these Muteki, powder coated pink, spline drive lug nuts.

Then take them to a specialty paints store and have them mix a high temp white
and high temp red until the color matches the lugs.

I'm always open to new ideas on this topic, so let me know. This thread could get interesting.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You could have the paint stripped and then get them anodized? I'd have to do research to see if that's possible, but I don't see why not?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
There are many routes I could go, but I was hoping to be able to do this with paint, so I could accomplish
this at home, with minimal down time of the Batmobile seeing how it is my daily driver.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You can anodize at home, actually.

And there was this paint, like a ceramic paint supposedly specific for things like calipers... Damn if I can't remember the name... Something German iirc??
I'll dig for it in a bit.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It's not difficult finding high temp paint so to speak, it's difficult to find a pink that is close to the STi badges and is also high temp.
Why'd you search for ceramic paint? I don't know very much about paint so please educate me. lol

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Let me get to my computer sometime tonight and ill hash out what I know. Not a painter but been exposed to various coatings in my hobbies and for work.
Might be a bit as I'm dealing with a new kid and house duties. Lol

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Let me get to my computer sometime tonight and ill hash out what I know. Not a painter but been exposed to various coatings in my hobbies and for work.
Might be a bit as I'm dealing with a new kid and house duties. Lol

No worries, I'm sure you're pretty damn busy lately, take your time. I really appreciate it!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
If they wouldn't get so damn dirty, I'd paint them white and stencil a big cherry blossom red STi logo on them.
That'd look hottttt on a black car with black wheels and cherry blossom red lug nuts.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Well, gonna make some suggestions as I can't seem to get damn moment.
Basically this is gonna be quick and dirty via tapatalk no typing spelling pos.

Get a paint that is going to lay on thick and be heat and chemical tolerant.
Basically, a paint specifically for this application.
Powder coat should work but I'm not sure of its heat resistance. Powder coating would dictate removal of the calipers and possible stripping of the seals and pistons. Durability "should" be good but downtime and price may be a factor. Color choices are wide and you should find something you like.
More investigation is needed for this one cause I'm still not sure of powder coatings upper heat limits.
Ceramic paint kits are available and good results can be had. Eastwood makes a ceramic kit that people seem to have good results with. Colors seem to be pretty basic but you might be able to get a few kits and mix to come close to what you need.
Epoxy coatings are very thick and durable and some can resist high temps, abrasions and chemicals better than paint. Think of it kind of like floor coatings in garages and such. G2 is a brand of epoxy caliper coatings that get good reviews. Another bonus is that I found a hot pink color, G2 makes, that looks close to cherry blossom red. You could also mix colors to get a desired effect.
Basic high temp solvent based paint kits are available but reviews are more mixed. They just don't seem to be as durable.
Anodizing just doesn't last. I have gas too many anodized parts chip and fade on no time.
1. High temp.
2. Durable and chemical resistant.
3. Epoxy or coatings vs. basic high temp paint would be better.
4. Powder coat should be good but makes work, downtime and cost go up.
5. Brush on seems to be easier and applies thicker thus more chip resistant.

And the most important one of all, PREP!!!!!!!!
Your paint job is only as good as your prep work. You must spend the extra time and effort in your prep work otherwise your painting will be for not.
I can't stress this enough. Even a simple can of krylon can yield good results if extra care in prep is done. Painting is 90% prep and 10% paint!!! Prep prep prep prep. Need I say more?
This is why I suggest caliper removal because you'll want to make sure every square inch is clean and ready for coating. Plus you don't want paint on rotors or pistons or seals, etc. If you spray, then overspray will be an issue if the calipers are still on the car.