Reputable Shops (WNY) NY, PA, OH, areas

I am need of machine shops around that would do balancing/assembly/bluprinting etc. (the same services of what is done to my block, to keep the most similar setup)

Anyone know any GOOD shops that wont stiff me over? I am worried about the longevity of the motor, lets say if I don't spend enough money at their shop, or they don't know me as a regular customer they won't work as hard on it as compared to a regular loyal customer.

I have a place to bring it to be tuned after I drop the motor back in. Innovative tuning in Buffalo. They do good tuning, but their labor hands on stuff I would not let them touch another one of my cars again. (bad previous experience)

Here is what is done to my motor setup:

Engine:
EJ257 Shortblock 99.75mm Bore
2011 STi block halves
Disassembled, cleaned, decked and torque plate honed.
Crankshaft polished and balanced to.5g
Blueprinted and Reassembled with Calico Coated
ACL Race Bearings
Brand New 8.2:1 99.75mm Mahle Pistons and File Fitted Rings
Manley Rods(H beam)
Version 7 2.0 JDM big port heads (PnP)
radius valve and decked
BC cams 280
New springs and retainers
APS dr725 FMIC
APS 83mm CAI
850CC Denso Injectors
APS 3in Hard turbo Inlet
AMR T60 Turbo10.5cm Exhaust Housing
* 3 inch compressor Inlet
* Fully ported exhaust housing
* Fully ported compressor housing
* OIL AND WATER COOLED!
AP ver 2
Mishimoto Rad with samco hoses
GMS 170 Thermostat
Grimmspeed uppipe with 38mm tial wastegate
Hallman pro manual boost controller
HKS High power exhaust 3in
Moore Performance Downpipe 3in, no wastegate side.
PnP throttle body with heat coating
PnP intake manifold with heat coating
TGV delete with pheloic spacers 6mm
Grimmspeed oil air separator
Grimmspeed exhaust manifold with hi flow x pipe(PnP)
Perrin Fuel rail

Now with that said, I believe I have a spun bearing, don't know if it's a main or rod bearing. The car ran before I took the block out, but knocked hard.

Thanks for your time everyone!!

If anyone has any other questions to make a better decision post away!

bump, anyone have any thoughts? i just read about JJ's dads shop they work together at, i would love to bring it to them, keep things in the family. LOL

Grinder34

Track Monkey
There used to be a map on here somewhere with all the vendors on it. Quite a few of them are from that area, not even including JJ's shop.

I think TTLM and FTP are nearby, dont remember others off the top of my head.

http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/dto_vendor.php?view=map but it appears to be broken.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
That program is being fixed. We ran into issues when we moved.

I have already got quoted from To the Limit Motorsportz and Fast Tuning Products. I am hoping to bring it to JJ and hid dad to work on it.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
.001 extra oil clearance and torque plate bore and hone are my most important suggestions for EJ engine building.

JJ... Do you have a good machinist that you trust? If not, I do and he is cheap.

.001 extra oil clearance and torque plate bore and hone are my most important suggestions for EJ engine building.

JJ... Do you have a good machinist that you trust? If not, I do and he is cheap.

Holy, where at?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Holy, where at?

Ace Crankshaft, Deer Park, NY.

If you run down your requirements for me I will speak to him and let him know you are interested. I have to see if he has the time to take on another item. He is a very busy guy these days.

Will you be sending a bare block? I'm not sure he does heads anymore either.

Ace Crankshaft, Deer Park, NY.

If you run down your requirements for me I will speak to him and let him know you are interested. I have to see if he has the time to take on another item. He is a very busy guy these days.

Will you be sending a bare block? I'm not sure he does heads anymore either.

I would rather send the long block as a whole, and have him assemble it as a whole for me, so I can drop it back in, and I have the AP V2, I can just put a stock tune back on it and limp it to the tuners for dyno time?

As for the heads, I'm most positive that they're okay, they are already PnP matched.

The car ran before I pulled it, just with a hard knock, I took off my oil pan, pick up tube, and baffle to check my main bearings, and the rod closest to the front of the motor was loose and had play in it. As far as the rod bearings I'm not sure I didn't take the heads off to pull the pistons. I just need someone good enough that their work is reliable enough and wont screw me over, gives me a decent price, and can do good balancing/assembly work on EJ blocks.

Also does the machine shop your talking about supply parts for the rebuild? Or they don't assemble after the machine work? I would want to take it to a place that machines, hones, torque plates, and assembles and balances, and supplies all the parts. IMO I want to just have one total for the service. So then I can have the block sent back so I can drop it in and limp it to my tuner for a break in tune.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah I don't think he does all that. He's really just a machinist. I do all of my own assembly so I never needed him for anything else. I have seen him source parts though.

If you want a full longblock -- you need to ship it to a Subaru shop -- your average machine shop is not going to build an EJ motor completely...

I dont need a full long block, I need a short block rebuild, and i want them to assemble and balance the long block, so its ready for drop in.

Yeah I don't think he does all that. He's really just a machinist. I do all of my own assembly so I never needed him for anything else. I have seen him source parts though.

Well if i have to i can just send him the short block. Ill find a source to help me figure out assembly, if i can pull the motor and put it back in, is it hard to assemble the whole block? any special tool needed? is there is DIY write up of it?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Assemble the guts of the block? Then yes their may be some special tools the average DIY may not have, such as piston ring compressors, micrometers, etc. these tools are easily obtained but may thwart some. Also a good working tool set will be needed, not just the prepackaged tool boxes you get at Sears but a nice compliment of hand tools of various uses. Don't forget the tech books!
If just doing the assembly of the long block then a bit easier but piston to head/valve clearance comes into play. Plus setting up the cams etc and all if the other to do's.
If this is your first engine build, I would not recommend going alone. An experienced pro or shade tree will be invaluable.
There are some sources as to EJ building like I think YouTube had a series in building the EJ but still I say don't try alone if your green at engine building.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah it is an expert level task. You need to be painfully aware of every tolerance a clearance and you need to do everything in specific orders and you can not over look a thing. The EJ's are among to most difficult engines to build and to get right.

Assemble the guts of the block? Then yes their may be some special tools the average DIY may not have, such as piston ring compressors, micrometers, etc. these tools are easily obtained but may thwart some. Also a good working tool set will be needed, not just the prepackaged tool boxes you get at Sears but a nice compliment of hand tools of various uses. Don't forget the tech books!
If just doing the assembly of the long block then a bit easier but piston to head/valve clearance comes into play. Plus setting up the cams etc and all if the other to do's.
If this is your first engine build, I would not recommend going alone. An experienced pro or shade tree will be invaluable.
There are some sources as to EJ building like I think YouTube had a series in building the EJ but still I say don't try alone if your green at engine building.

well said, i do have over 2000$ in tools alone, just bought a hoist, and leveler, have all the kinds of air tools, Im just not aware of the specs, for torquing and timing i will need some guidance. but i know the overall job, i have printed many write up of full pulls, disassemble, and assembly of EJ motors, Ill just need to invest in a stand, micrometers, and some tech books. where can i find some good manuals?

Yeah it is an expert level task. You need to be painfully aware of every tolerance a clearance and you need to do everything in specific orders and you can not over look a thing. The EJ's are among to most difficult engines to build and to get right.

holy how much to help me with my build? ;) lol

The service manuals... The official Subaru service manuals -- they are online... Just download a copy and follow it... There are some tools that make life easier and there is a more proper way to put on the belt -- Have you done a Subaru timing belt before?

If the answer is no -- either pay a tech or buy a longblock.

:sorry: you sure get annoyed easy, ok ill buy one online but that's the last thing i wanted to do though. and no i have not done timing before but i have a step by step write up i printed out on how to do this, its not all that hard, just because i haven't done timing before does not mean im not capable of doing the job. lol

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I downloaded my subaru manuals from the net. Wish I could remember the place??
I bought and downloaded my Porsche manuals last December from an eBay vendor.
Try eBay or there are plenty of dedicated sites for tech books.