Performance Auto Solutuions

I have been e-mailing back and forth with PAS (Performance Auto Solutions) Deer Park, NY. I have never dealt with them before this. Their responses are moderately quick. I do hope they can work within my budget. I will be giving them a call today to place a work order with all the details, and place a deposit for my appointment.

**I was pulling my own motor, shipping it out to get rebuilt, then drop it in myself, and then get it tuned locally. Instead, I am doing a full build with them. I will ship them the whole car and they will rebuild the block, and tune it.**

Has anyone heard of anything about these guys, or knows of any experiences with them as a company? If anyone has any information how well or how bad their experience was, explain below.

Thanks!

Also a note, I will update the post after I receive my car from them and will post my results.

update/bump: Called PAS, spoke to JB and made an appointment for 5/23. The car will be picked up on 5/21 by Tropical Auto Carriers, they quoted me 445$ door-to-door shipping. my fingers are crossed

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I believe your car is in good hands. If dave brown has anything to do with it you will not be disapointed. Dave is associated with Metric Subaru Performance Tuning and has been tuning for many years. He has thousands of very satisfied customers and a huge fan base.

I could even pop in to see how things go with the car. I've been meaning to get down there to say hi anyway.

I believe your car is in good hands. If dave brown has anything to do with it you will not be disapointed. Dave is associated with Metric Subaru Performance Tuning and has been tuning for many years. He has thousands of very satisfied customers and a huge fan base.

I could even pop in to see how things go with the car. I've been meaning to get down there to say hi anyway.

That would be great man! Ill keep you posted when the car arrives there @ PAS! :D

Bang876

Im glade the car will be up and running again soon. Keep us posted on the build man!

I'll keep u guys posted! Waiting for a phone call today, car should be picked up tomorrow :tup:

Cars picked up today!!! 5/22/13 :tup:

Winter wheels are still on, but here she is. Last time I see her till she gets better. :(:tdown:

IMAG0630.jpgIMAG0621.jpgIMAG0622.jpgIMAG0629.jpgIMAG0637.jpg

(shes so dirty!) lol

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Think of it like this:

Your watching your lady get wheeled into the operating room.
When she returns, double d's ! Lol

Think of it like this:

Your watching your lady get wheeled into the operating room.
When she returns, double d's ! Lol

HA! that's what I'm hoping for! :tup: Call from PAS today 5/23/13 car arrived safely lol :D

UPDATE: PAS called me, they have the motor on a stand and we will be going over the options, and routes I can take for my budget! I have 5000$ to spend to get it running again, I don't have any power goals at this point, I'm trying to get a good solid base with the mods that were already with the car. So basically fix what was broken and find out why, and build it conservative, so it will last.

Any ideas for the short block as far as what I should build the bottom end? As far as dollar for power, and what I can push it to without sacrificing reliability.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Did you decide how the block is going to be built? What components did you guys select?

Anything over 400WHP and you begin to test the reliability of the internals on a stock motor. Provided the clearances are spec'd correctly and it is assembled properly, you should be fairly reliable no matter what you come up with. People often confuse built with reliable though... Because a block is built does not make it reliable... IMO the most reliable EJ is completely stock. When used with appropriate power levels and a good quality tune, they can last 100'ds of thousands of miles. You basically build a block because you want more than stage 2 power.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
By the way I stopped by today... I'm impressed to say the least. Dude your car is in the best possible hands.

They do nothing but Subaru day in and day out.

By the way I stopped by today... I'm impressed to say the least. Dude your car is in the best possible hands.

They do nothing but Subaru day in and day out.

AWESOME!! Thank you so much George. I owe you one. I just talked with PAS. They have assembled the block and getting all the bolt ons ready, JB is hooking up all the ancillaries, and the block should be back in the car monday, if not by wednesday. And as far as power, I definitely dont want it tuned past 400whp, Im building the block for more than stage 2 power levels, but only pushing it as far as stage 2 levels. I figured since I needed a rebuild and a stock oem block build is pretty much the same minus the cost of the drop in forged pistons, so might as well get those while everything is out. :lol: Just for future reference, I kno I will want more power in the future. I just wanted the car back on the road. SUMMERS HEREEEE!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
What is being done? What parts are being put in? Brands?
More info!
Forgive me if you already posted this somewhere. Just direct me there if you did.

What is being done? What parts are being put in? Brands?
More info!
Forgive me if you already posted this somewhere. Just direct me there if you did.

I didnt clarify specifically,

The work is being done at Performance Auto Solutions in Deer Park, NY.
The diagnosis was spun bearing on the main and rod bearings, and the heads were damaged a bit on the cam journal bearings. The whole short block was replaced with an OEM 2011 short block casting with drop in forged pistons.

I dont know what brand pistons were installed, but i will find out soon.

Update: Well guess what, my heads are scoured, heres the pics... :(View attachment 4630View attachment 4631View attachment 4632View attachment 4633View attachment 4634 The guys at PAS said that they may be reusable. I will need a new set of cams. Any thoughts?

Good deal. Sounds like the wait is almost over. Bet you can't wait to get her back!

I hope so, I dont want something else to pop up thats gunna cost me more $$. I cannot wait at all! Im too impatient to wait and call them on monday even :lol:

Picked up the car from PAS. After the paperwork was settled, I started my new setup and what do you know it starts raining out :( It had a small coolant leak, but that was just a sloppy clamp, got a new one on the lower rad hose and all is good, about 530 break in miles so far! I am also thinking of putting the car up on the market, its not what I wanna do, but I really want a newer GR 08 hatch STOCK.

WELL, its a long story. theres a lot to it more than what im about to explain. At the time of pickup for my car, Performance auto solutions owner Dave Brown fired his co-owner (partner) JB for messing up a bunch of orders/builds, including mine and over charged me for 3+ hours of labor and a bunch of parts. on top of that JB messed up my sales tax. from the beginning of time when i first emailed them and asked for a quote, he thought i lived in Connecticut. So from the time JB first spoke to me, till they rebuilt my car and I went to pick it up, he didnt even add sales tax because he thought i was out of state. I live in NY. the shop is in NYC. LOL so i went to the shop with the total amount JB told me, and he was asking for 500$ more for sales tax. i said no no,then he noticed the extra labor and parts he added to my invoice. and we worked things out, but its just the hassle that makes ppl not wanna come back. plus the fact that i had numerous things wrong with my car after the fact. my hood dampeners were ripped off, not removed, ripped. bettery tie down wasnt on. they used zip ties for coolant clamps. my throttle drive by wire was removed without telling me why. i told them all my problems, specifically Dave Brown. He fixed them for me. for free.

anyways they fired JB, and Adam and Dave @ PAS are AMAZING people, they went above and beyond to satisfy my needs.

i needed to send the car back to them after it got rebuilt. it had 530 break in miles. it thought it was done for. i heard a knock. and they explained to me how it has to get to normal operating temps, before the piston slap goes away. and the knock noise was an interooler pipe from my FMIC whacking my timing cover. they put a silicone hose over the metal IC pipe and it solved the problem. they gave me a new map for free as well, and a few dyno pulls for free.

They let me sit inside and start other customer cars/builds. it was AWESOME! they explained what was done to that specific build/motor, and when i started it, it sounded much like my issue, but it was jsut piston slap and they were expanding to the cylinder walls, while heating up. one specific i remember was a GC8 fully built with an sti longblock, and some agressive 272 cams it was loud!!! they explained that with build heads when their cold as well will have a super loud tick till they are warmed up properly as well.

it was a fun experience you can say. i drove to nyc 2 times and back. trailer-ed the car one time back, and drove it back the other time. never paid an extra dime for parts or labor or service. only thing i paid for was gas to drive out and back, and a uhaul trailer the last time.