Defects by Crower Cams & Equipment Co., Inc.

C NO EVO

This message is to warn you about possible manufacturing defects by Crower Cams & Equipment Co., Inc. Upon my return from Kandahar, Afghanistan my motor in my 2007 Subaru WRX STI had ringland failure. I decided to up grade certain parts to ensure that my motor would last. I decided to purchase Crower Stage 2 Cams, once my motor was rebuilt and tuned for break-in I broke the car in (The individual who built the motor is a Certified Subaru Master Tech). I did the recommended oil change intervals using amsoil zync break in oil along with constant communication with the shop. I broke the car in for 1,000 miles and continued to about 1,500 miles to ensure everything was seated properly and all parts functioned as they were supposed to.

The next day I got in my car and turned the car on, I noticed the oil light on and instantly turned the motor off, called the shop and had it towed up from Fort Bragg, North Carlona 50 miles to the shop. The shop called and told me that they'd like to take the motor apart and find any possible issues, a few days later I received a phone call stating the issues. I couldn't believe it, I honestly thought it was a joke. The shop sent the parts off for testing and determined the Cams were at fault (took a while to find out).
The shop contacted crower and crower refused to refund any money for the defected part along with all the damaged parts. The shop also had two other identical builds which had the exact same defect. All builds cost over 10k. My car has been at a stand still since November thanks to Crower. Meaning in the past two years I've driven my car for about 2 months thanks to the deployment and the part defect. I'm disgusted by the lack of customer service and disappointed in an un-patriotic company and will post this message on every forum, Facebook page to ensure the public is cautioned from this horrible company.

If something similar like this happened to you or someone you know, please contact me at c.no.evo@icould.com also a big thanks for taking the time and reading this entire write up - I truly appreciate it.

- Kai

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Damn, man.. I'm sorry you had to go through that :/ Sucks when a company won't admit or concede anything when presented with facts by knowledgeable people. I hope you're able to get this resolved to your satisfaction. Please keep us posted, and thank you for your service, sir!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I'll see if I can make something happen. Stay tuned!

C NO EVO

There was two separate engine failure times - the initial was right when I came back so I built the motor - once that was done I was breaking her in and the cams failed (will post more information)

C NO EVO

Information from some very knowledgable people that tore apart the motor

1)
I was the tech that tore down the 3 motors with this issue. the shop tests every component to get to the bottom of why the motor had this issue. The crower cams where defected and what happened was the lobes shaved down along with the buckets being dented and one even had a hole in it from the grinding of the cam lobes on the buckets. The parts have been tested and the cams where at fault and for crower not admit they messed up is wrong. They have just dropped down to crawfords level when it comes to their defective parts and telling the buyer your **** out of luck and have to dump more money to fix your car when it comes to their parts being at fault!

2)
So, what happened was the motor was assembled with custom Crower grinds. When they did the grind, the cams weren't re nitrated and the metal hardness test showed that the ground cam lobes were 10% or so softer than that of a stock cam thus when the harder than stock Manley springs were pressed, the lobe started to deform and then started to dimple and wear a hole through the buckets on several valves. It actually wore all the way through and ate a few retainers in the process.

I'm not going to say names if anyone involved or what companies tested what after the failure so don't ask. There wasnt an oiling issue and no cams snapped. The lobes started to flatten. The facts have been collected and the failure point proven. Formulate your own opinions, I could really care less, like I said, I just want to explain the facts as proven for the sake of C NO EVO.

3)
If any of you has ever been around a built motor and a built valve train you would definitely know that it sounds louder. There was no negligent driving done and break in procedures where done. It was clearly on the camshafts failure which caused the failure through out the rest of the motor. Metal shavings being tossed around in a motor that is being broken in and the rings haven't properly set in WILL CAUSE DETRIMENTAL DAMAGE. once again being the person who disassembled all 3 motors and seeing the EXACT SAME OUTCOME ON ALL 3 of the motors. So to say that there was negligent driving being done is an incorrect statement since at that point you are categorizing the 3 DIFFERENT customers who all spent upwards of 10k on a motor build to of not taken care of their investment...

STimedic

Kai, I'm really sorry about the motor.

I personally saw all three motors as well and can attest that all 3 had the same exact issue with the cam lobes eating through the buckets. And to think that it isn't the cams and to refuse to accept responsibility for faulty products when there is third party testing and evidence is just plain bad business. At least another company whose parts were in the car said they'd eat the cost if it was determined to be their fault, which is why their parts will go in my next motor. Just goes to show that if someone doesn't stand behind the products they make, they don't deserve anyone's business.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I posted this on our Facebook page, and someone posted on their page, lol. Lets see if we get their attention.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
They did reply to someone who posted on their Facebook wall.

• Crower Cams & Equipment Co. We appreciate the heads up ! From reading this if the guy did 3 builds and all 3 builds did the same thing it definitely makes me wonder .. Since we sell quite a few Subaru cams and have very little issues with our product.. We stand behind our product unless we come to the conclusion it was not Crowers fault. In most cases we still even warranty the product when it's not our fault . As far as patriotic we are one of the few companies who use USA material and USA made. We appreciate everything our service people do for us ! We know the sacrifice they and their families make for us to be able to do what we enjoy.
    8 hours ago ? Like

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Holy @#$%ing @#$&!!! I was waiting for pictures of this, but daaaaaammmmmnnn that's worse than I imagined!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Oh man. I would contact an attorney.

STimedic

And if they claim they cover stuff even if it's not their fault, then why haven't they warrantied his shit then???????

Just another case of talking through their ass despite all the evidence presented.

STimedic

Trust me, those aren't even the worst of the photos, wait til you see the ones where the bucket was actually pounded through.

prestonztt

Sorry, but I don't see a oiling problem here at all nor do I see a "defect" with these cams. However, I do see lifter buckets that are hardened that have holes in them. There are really only 3 ways that the cam could have done that to the lifter. 1.) Valve lash to tight. 2.) Valve lash to loose 3.) Oiling problem.

My guess is that the lash was set to loose. The journals and other lobes don't look oil deprived. It looks like the bucket was getting hit over and over again from valve lash being set to loose.

- Preston

C NO EVO

Sorry, but I don't see a oiling problem here at all nor do I see a "defect" with these cams. However, I do see lifter buckets that are hardened that have holes in them. There are really only 3 ways that the cam could have done that to the cam. 1.) Valve lash to tight. 2.) Valve lash to loose 3.) Oiling problem.

My guess is that the lash was set to loose. The journals and other lobes don't look oil deprived. It looks like the bucket was getting hit over and over again from valve lash being set to loose.

- Preston

If that were the case wouldn't we see the exact same damage across all of the lobes? Thanks for your input Preston

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It looks more like the lobes are off center and there was runout causing the cam lobes to pound the buckets.
Just my opinion from an outsider and a few pics.