Decided to switch to e85

Bang876

After talking with my Tuner Micheal from Pacific Import Auto about what else we can do to my car without upgrading turbo or doing any major mods. He recommended to try ruining E85 and see how I would like it. Our goal was to get the car to about 340awhp on a Mustang Dyno with a safe and reliable tune. Basically starting loading up the car with some great supporting mods for future upgrades and still able to push great power with the stock turbo.

Here are the parts we agreed to installed on my 08 STi hatch

ID 1000cc Injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump w/ install kit
Cobb Boost Control Solenoid
A/F gauge
oil pressure gauge

Micheal will be including 6 maps total during the pro tune process, 3 for pump gas and 3 for E85. I know these mods are an overkill for what the facotry turbo can handle but I plan on upgrading turbos and much more in about a year. Will be posting pictures of the installation and results of the tune by the end of the month.

If you would like to know what the car currently has in mods please visit my garage.
Thanks

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Overkill? I wouldn't really say that. My car, with E85 and a 20G turbo, nearly maxed out 1000cc injectors at base pressure and sea level. If you are going for a larger turbo in the near future I would even go so far as to recommend a larger fuel pump also. The Aeromotive 340 is a good pump that won't break the bank. There are others, like Deatschwerks 300 ect...

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Hell, I've got 1000's on my corn fed, VF48. Not overkill and horsepower maintains to redline.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'm running methanol injection. Would it be worth it to convert and tune for E85?

Bang876

Overkill? I wouldn't really say that. My car, with E85 and a 20G turbo, nearly maxed out 1000cc injectors at base pressure and sea level. If you are going for a larger turbo in the near future I would even go so far as to recommend a larger fuel pump also. The Aeromotive 340 is a good pump that won't break the bank. There are others, like Deatschwerks 300 ect...

Yeah I looked into it and decided to get the Aeromotive one over Walbro. Still crazy how much 30% more fuel really mean!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You might be surprised at the power and feel once you switch to corn. You just might not want to go bigger turbo.
I know bigger turbo lust is far from the near future for me.

Bang876

You might be surprised at the power and feel once you switch to corn. You just might not want to go bigger turbo.
I know bigger turbo lust is far from the near future for me.

Thats what Im exited about. Ive been told E85 will make your car feel like an animal, especially in the torque. My tuner was like " you might not even ever want to get a bigger turbo if yo run E85"

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I see your point. Maybe if I had won the Powerball, I'd have made the switch from meth to e85. lol
Either way though, the car runs great and I have a 5 gallon methanol tank, so I only have to fill it about
once a year (unless I attend a bunch of track days).

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
There are drawbacks to each... they are both perfectly viable.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
There are drawbacks to each... they are both perfectly viable.

But not at the same time, right? I'm guessing gains from methanol become minimal at best when running e85...
...would I be correct?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Honestly I don't know.

I know why Ethanol does what it does and I know why methanol does what it does But I have little understanding why or if it can be used together or if it has any advantage or disadvantage. At the end of the day, both are alcohol... so just use one and be done.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Yea. I don't see it being beneficial to use both. As stated they are both alcohols and similar in properties. But hell who knows?
Might be kinda like a hooker with a penis, sumtin just ain't right about it

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
The way I see it, you get benefits from both and disadvantages from both... With them doing pretty much the same thing, you are left with an imbalance. You now have a system with all of the disadvantages of both but only the benefit of one.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
LOLOL Well, when my methanol system 'active' LED comes on, it's allllll YIN. Hell, there's more YIN than a Chinese phonebook!