TGV delete and tuning

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I want to do the TGV delete sometime in the future but have one hang up, do I need a tune? This topic drives me crazy as no clear answer is ever given. I understand the codes and disabling them.
I have read one group says no and another says yes. The no group is pretty compelling stating they have logged before and after and found no differences.
The yes group says simply, "you'll run lean and therefore need to adjust."
These are across the boards from STi, WRX, Legacy, RS and so on.

So which is it? To tune or not? Or to log and adjust if necessary but may not be?
And finally, why for whichever reason?

Thanks for the time!

Yes, you need tune. It will mess with your cold starts (the reason for TGV) and the extra airflow needs to be compensated for with the correct fueling, its a bit of a change for MAF/ecu to re learn and adjust automaticaly. Whats the point of going thru all that work to not have it pro tuned anyway? Lol

You will definitely require a reflash to get rid of the cel's unless you dont care for cruise control and not knowing any other potential trouble codes. Do you absolutely require a retune? I dont think so. Would it be a good idea? yes. IMO its not worth dyno time to do unless you have a pile of mods to tune out.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah I'm with fugi on this one. As long as the maf is calibrated properly, any improvement in flow after the fact is allready compensated for. As mentioned the code will need to be disabled and that requires a tune. Also, as mentioned, it will effect your warmup but I have nevr really noticed a difference between having them and not. As long as your fuel trims are okay and your wot afrs are good, then you are good... minus the codes.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Ok. ATR is able to toggle those codes off, correct? My tune is locked so I assume that I can't toggle those codes off, even with ATR, correct? Cobb should be able to send a revised map but I'm sure they'll want some logs first.

So I'm about to start my rebuild as well and want to do this but I already have a protune by Harmon motive done on my STI will I be able to keep Dans tune and just turn off the CEL's or is this going to be all screwed up where I can't keep my old protune and turn the CEL's off?

I have cob Version1 AP and just recently acquired the street tuner software for it but refuse to buy a new AP till I go bigger turbo since nobody tunes version 1 AP anymore Blahahha good to be an original cob supporter.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So I'm about to start my rebuild as well and want to do this but I already have a protune by Harmon motive done on my STI will I be able to keep Dans tune and just turn off the CEL's or is this going to be all screwed up where I can't keep my old protune and turn the CEL's off?

I have cob Version1 AP and just recently acquired the street tuner software for it but refuse to buy a new AP till I go bigger turbo since nobody tunes version 1 AP anymore Blahahha good to be an original cob supporter.

If I understand correctly, you should be able to get in touch with the original tuner and they should be able to email you the exact same tune, with codes disabled. They *should* do it free of charge as well.

If I understand correctly, you should be able to get in touch with the original tuner and they should be able to email you the exact same tune, with codes disabled. They *should* do it free of charge as well.

I don't believe Dan Harmon tunes public cars anymore and most likely dosent support version 1 AP so that's not a possibility for me.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If that's the case, I would contact Dan to confirm, and then Cobb. Cobb may be able to confirm and provide you with an unlocked map or at least unlock it themselves, and adjust it for you. Its a long shot, but they seem to be willing to work with the customer in unique situations.

They might just give you a smokin' deal on an APV3 though

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
In a lot of cases the tuner requires a re-tune for something like this. Is it just an excuse for them to squeeze you for more cash? I can't really say, But in my case all I require is a log, and if every thing looks good then I will just send another tune with the cels disabled. :tup:

Yeah I might just try to do some road tuning myself since I've been doing a bit of research on this I just have to decide if I'm sticking with my version 1 AP with street tuning software or going Rom Raiders and buying a tactrix cable.

Any Suggestions?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Oh I would recommend RomRaider. More and more each day I grow more fond of RR over ATR

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'm no tuner but am trying to learn. I have ATR and have been messing with it but so far I'm not entirely thrilled with it. Maybe it's just because it's new to me or maybe it's just really because it's kinda funky... not what I expected, though

Alright I've finally started the year down process on my sti motor will be pulled this Sunday hopefully and I'm still thinking about these stupid TGV and the codes it can throw.

First off im doing this on a budget and have an obsolete Version 1 AP that was tuned by a tuner that no longer tunes and I don't plan on doing a retune till I do an upgraded turbo.

I know when I go the bigger turbo route I will be doing the composite top feed Tumbler housing (since I have a 2005 sti with side feed) new fuel rails and bigger injectors but since I will have the TGV off already i still want to get very free pony I can.

I'm thinking about just port matching the TGV housing and removing the butterfly valves leaving the rods and motors intact.

This should keep the ECU happy correct?

I also am considering replacing the ugly stock sti upipe and will be replacing the turbo inlet hose. I know these have minimal increase in HP & Torque but I just want to replace the questionable parts that I can while their off while still not having to retune the car till the larger turbo upgrade.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you still have the stock turbo inlet, get rid of that turd asap! Mine torn and they are very common to tear on the turbo end. Get a solid piece and save yourself a headache in the future. As far as the other things go, I don't have enough knowledge to give input on. I bought a used set of sidefeed TGV deletes that I will be using when the time comes to continue modding. :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
It should keep the ECU happy as far as TGV related codes as far as what I've seen. However, I believe the rods to be the major restrictive point and not the flappers, as they open fully, the blade is paralleled and its profile is small compared to the rods. So to me, it seems a bit futile to do all of that work and not eliminate the major restriction.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Stock turbo inlet piles are only 2.4" and with an upgraded turbo, you might go 3". Either way, when they get old, under high boost, they can partially collapse which of course is not good at all.

It should keep the ECU happy as far as TGV related codes as far as what I've seen. However, I believe the rods to be the major restrictive point and not the flappers, as they open fully, the blade is paralleled and its profile is small compared to the rods. So to me, it seems a bit futile to do all of that work and not eliminate the major restriction.

Yes I agree that the rod is the major restriction but since they will be off I might as well do what I can with out affecting the tune.