TGV delete and tuning

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I don't mean to challenge your opinion on TGVs, Spamby, but why do you think the rod is more of a restriction than the flapper? I'm just trying to understand because I'm considering the same mod. I imagine the rod would create turbulence moving through the TGV, but it doesn't seem to be that large, why the restriction?

If you still have the stock turbo inlet, get rid of that turd asap! Mine torn and they are very common to tear on the turbo end. Get a solid piece and save yourself a headache in the future. As far as the other things go, I don't have enough knowledge to give input on. I bought a used set of sidefeed TGV deletes that I will be using when the time comes to continue modding. :tup:

Yes i still have it and a few years ago I came across a new perrin silicone one for the stock location at a killer deal so I picked it up. I know there's been issues with silicone turbo inlet hoses but i figure id give it a try since its just a stock turbo hoping it won't collapse under pressure.

Why did you go side feed i know quite a few tuners hate side feed injectors on the subarus hence why I'm going composite top feed tumbler housing with appropriate rails and injectors when the time comes to move up to a bigger turbo.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I think APS makes or used to make a TGV simulator that you could plug in, with rods removed, and it would simulate everything being there. Dunno if this is still around?

I don't mean to challenge your opinion on TGVs, Spamby, but why do you think the rod is more of a restriction than the flapper? I'm just trying to understand because I'm considering the same mod. I imagine the rod would create turbulence moving through the TGV, but it doesn't seem to be that large, why the restriction?

Maybe since you cant port the ridge out as well since you have to have the rod.

Just a thought

I think APS makes or used to make a TGV simulator that you could plug in, with rods removed, and it would simulate everything being there. Dunno if this is still around?

They only sale them with their housings so they are hard to find and cost some cash.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sidefeed because im sticking to sidefeed injectors. My power goal is no more than 400whp and george already said the mods ill have are more than enough to achieve my goal. :tup:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy

My understanding is the rod is about the size of a finger. Even if it wasn't, the blade of the flapper is smaller in profile. When the engine warms up, the blade is fully open with the thin profile in the direction of airflow. The rod being larger, and without a thinner side, profile will still be the same thus impeding airflow.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Jeeeebuz I didn't know it was that large, I thought it was under the diameter of a No. 2 pencil.