2004 STi Headlights/Lenses

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I would like to replace the lenses on my headlights. I am having a hard time finding the lenses themselves
and may end up having to buy two entire headlight assemblies which I'm sure will be stupid expensive.

For the time being, I'm trying to refinish the surface of the lenses, so I'm just throwing a feeler out there.

I will take used headlights as well, provided that they aren't completely beat up.

I've wondered the same thing since my are starting to crack from the AZ heat. if you find some let me know because i would like some. Why are you replacing yours?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
There was some laminate vinyl overlays on them. They looked great but even with only a minor 'smoked' tint, once you're on roads with no overhead lamps,
it gets hard to see at night, especially when cars are coming the other way. I never had an incident, but it scared me enough on a few occasions to remove
it. Now there is a ton of adhesive left behind and it's unbelievably hard to remove.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I've got some clear vinyl. 15mil just for that purpose.
Bought it for the wife's car since hers keeps yellowing no matter how often I buff it out. Gonna see if that keeps the yellow away. I reeeeaaaally don't want to pay for new assemblies because of this.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Laquer thinner and some metal polish should remove that adhesive no problem! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Goo-gone does work a little bit, but it takes forrrrrevvver and the amount of pressure you
need to use is ridiculous, enough to move the car. It's not a sticky goo at this point, it's
like hardened super glue. :unsure:

I'll keep all those things in mind to try this weekend.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Heat gun? Slight heat to unharden it? Not too much obviously.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ I'm going to try that as well. I just got off the phone with "The Retrofit Source" and "Lightwerkz". No luck.
I could tell that the guy at Lightwerkz cringed when I explained the problem to him. He's dealt with this in the
past. He said they've tried a bunch of things and the only luck they've had was with Goo-Gone and about 3 hours
per headlight, and it didn't end look that great afterwards.

Holy shiiiiiitttt......3 HOURS PER LIGHT?

FML

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Holy shit is correct!!!!! 3 hours?!?!?! PER LIGHT?!?!?!

Have fun. :lol:

What about wheel acid?! :rofl: applied on a towel.

Dude if laquer thinner, wheel acid, heat gun, and goo gone dont work, i dont know what to tell you!!!!

Gotta have to flush a few hundreds down the toilet and call it a day. :angry:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Yeah, it's gonna suck. Nothing is working out for me right now. The headlights, my rifle/scope mounting woes, etc. etc.

Don't go out of your way looking around, but if any of you happen to come across anyone selling
a set of headlights, that'd be amazing. WRX headlights should work as well, correct? I'm pretty positive
they are the same.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wrx from 04-05 are exact shape as sti but no ballasts. When you say lens do you mean the plastic front shield, the entire headlight, the housing? There were aftermarket ones for sale on nasioc for $50. Ebay ones but what youre looking for is just the shields on the front right? I was gonna buy them but backed out cause the headlight wiring wasnt made for hid or xenox. Halogen housing and wiring only. Theyre $250 new on ebay. This dude was selling $50. I think its worth $50 for parts. Let me see real quick if i can get you that link!!!

Cant frickin find it...... :angry: !!!!!!

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Yes, just the plastic front shields. That's what I was referring to as the lenses.