fuel leak help!

tprice20

A month ago i was filling my gas tank and it never shut off and over filled my tank around 10$ (gas station guy was an idiot i was inside you cant pump your own gas here) and the fuel was pouring all over the ground from underneath the car not the gas cap spot and it leaked from under the car all the way home. I took it to a shop and they said they replaced the gas tank gasket now its fine and does not leak unless i fill my tank up over 3/4 of the way then it starts to leak on bumps and corners. anyone know what this could be? its an 06 sti thanks.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Filler hose not seated? Vent line not seated?
What did they mean by gas tank gasket? Fuel pump housing to tank gasket?

tprice20

I am not sure what it was I am not to familiar with the fuel tank stuff they just said gas tank gasket. should i take my car in and get it checked or do you think its fine like it is if i don't fill it up all the way?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I am not sure what it was I am not to familiar with the fuel tank stuff they just said gas tank gasket. should i take my car in and get it checked or do you think its fine like it is if i don't fill it up all the way?

Gas tank gasket sounds a lot like "blinker fluid". lol

I'd find a more reputable shop.
And a big Hell no it's not fine. You should be getting that fixed ASAP.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
yeah, definitely not fine.

Where is the leak coming from. Like, is the gas coming out of the gas cap? I know there are some breather lines under the car (beneath the gas cap/fuel tank); is it coming from those?

The more details the better we'll be able to help you diagnose. But i'd definitely take it to a different shop if you cant get this figured out yourself.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
adding to the above:

Its a (potential) major safety issue. If you're rearended (or worse), spilling fuel back there could ignite and take whatever path from which its getting out all the way back to the tank.

Heres a hint, plug the two green connectors under your dash on your obd-II port, and just turn the key forward but DO NOT START, it will cycle the fuel pump, and if you smell it inside, its probably the work the shop did for you/ the access panel for the pump? if not look under the car for leaks, smells, and under the hood for a "pee" stream. lmfao. just had a fuel leak, and checked it this way and it turned out to be the main hose on my fuel rail!! :tard: it was a bad 15 minutes . easy fix thank GOD.

tprice20

it has a strong gas smell in the back of the car but only when i park on hills and the tanks over half full.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
What STIMULA8 said is a very good idea. As for the "gas tank gasket", I'm fairly sure they are referring to the gasket/seal for
the fuel pump access cover. Pull your back seat out, the access cover is between the passenger side rear seat and the trunk compartment.
It is possible that the seal is bad.