Questions on Fuel Filter Replacement (Walbro 255lph)

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'm moderately ashamed that I don't know this stuff myself.

If I remember correctly, fuel filter replacement is on the list of recommendations for the 60,000 mile service.
I feel like acceleration isn't as smooth anymore and is starting to feel like my Acura did back in the day when
the filter was absolutely clogged to death.

*I installed the Walbro 255lph pump when I went Stage II, back around 30,000 miles, but I honestly can't
remember doing anything with the filter. I can't remember if we used a new filter, or reused the factory filter.

*I seem to remember a new 'fuel strainer' coming with the Walbro, kind of like a little white baby sock. :lol:

*I'm thinking that on the 2004, there is only a Fuel Strainer on the Walbro and the filter is in the engine bay
between the driver's side strut tower and washer fluid reservoir. Can anyone confirm this?

*I think this is the (engine bay located) filter: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...8/10055258-P?navigationPath=L1*14926|L2*14960

*Should I change the fuel strainer as well? If so, where do I get one?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me...?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
IIRC its in the pump assembly, above the sock and pump itself:

DSC_6412.jpg

attachment.php

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
:tup: Thanks. That's the exact Subaru part number I found as well. At about 10am, I go on break and will take a close look under
the hood. I always thought it was just as you say, above the sock and pump, but lately I've had a couple people say "not on the
2004 it isn't, it's in the engine bay." and I personally don't know any better at this point. :lol:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Did some googling. 04 sti should be tank-based.

"In 2005 (04 for the WRX STi) Subaru moved the fuel filter to the gas tank"

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Hmmm...this is going to be interesting. I just saw some info saying that the fuel filter move was made in the middle of
MY04 production. Some have it in the bay, some in the tank. I'm not positive, but I did some research on my VIN back
in the day and I think mine was built in the first half of MY04 production.

Within the hour, I'll let you know if I find it in the engine bay.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
04 is tank based.

No fun changing either.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
if yours is tank based, check out my easy install guide. I had one trick in there that made contorting the assmbly out of the tank a little easier.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
if yours is tank based, check out my easy install guide. I had one trick in there that made contorting the assmbly out of the tank a little easier.

Loosening the screw for the float assembly and turning it 90-180 degrees? ;)

Will do, thanks a lot Grinder. By the way, does anyone just wash the 'sock' strainer as well?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It was so much easier on my old Acura. I could have it done in <30 minutes. :roll:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It was so much easier on my old Acura. I could have it done in <30 minutes. :roll:

Stahp whining! (Schwarzenegger accent)

:lol:

Your fuel pump shouldve come with a new filter cause mine did.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Maybe it did. If that's the case, maybe I should leave it alone for another 20-30k miles.
I have had people tell me their filter has been clogged at 36k though. I just noticed a few
days ago that it felt like I had a very slight hesitation or loss of power between 6-7k RPMS.
I noticed the same thing, though far worse, in my Acura when that fuel filter went bad...
...and man was that thing ever clogged.
I drove that thing across town to get a new filter, misfiring, jerking, all sorts of horrible shit,
and I had no issues afterwards. With the STi, I would never do that....the thought of running
lean and blowing it up because of a f***ed fuel filter scares the shit out of me.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Are you able to buy the filter itself alone?