How to ask your wife/GF for more parts!

Alter3go

Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Lately I have been buying and when I'm sitting in the garage installing she asks the questions about when and how much blah blah blah...

I just want to know how do some of y'all get away with spending lots of time and money on your vehicle and your old lady be cool with it...

Suggestions

V/R
RIPsta

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Its a hobby, hobbies cost money. I worked with my wife and set up an annual car budget. Oh, some mods are easier to sell than others. A BBK as a "safety issue" was a huge slam dunk. It wasn't even a lie, as I'd had my brakes give out at 120 mph going into a hard braking zone.

Alter3go

Yeah I do that but some things are hard to spin for other parts, such as rims and lowering springs lol

I believe that it is easier to ask for forgiveness or to break the part I need and tell her that the performance part is cheaper.

Alter3go

Ok so what I'm getting this far is buy the part first then ask for forgiveness because you know she will be mad at you then give a moustache ride and send her packing... I mean shopping!!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You got it!

Actually my wife is pretty cool with my disease. We have an unspoken agreement, I don't push it and she doesn't push it.
Helps that she has a car thing like myself.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
oh definitely on the "its cheaper aftermarket than it is from subaru!!" will work. She may start to wonder why literally everything on your car breaks and must be replaced, but its a solid sell and usually true!

ive been eyeballing that excuse for if/when my engine pops.

Alter3go

Don't get me wrong my wife has come around a lot she wishes I bought a cheaper car and threw like 30 grand into it instead of 40gs with 30 grand invested. She even helped me getting CF hood and install it and paid for it. She's a good one lately I kind of but n install n she asks questions lol. I am getting ready to drop about 2500 though lol we will see

sacnvz

"happy wife, happy life"....I buy her whatever she wants and she buys me whatever I want. Except whatever she wants always costs more than what I want. oh well....I still get what I want. LOL

Alter3go

I have found since switching to the M3 that is saying you need it and justify why you need it. No moustache ride is necessary lol. I just got two sections of my exhaust without batting an eye because I wanted to "quiet down" the car with these absolutely mean straight pipes I had installed.

I don't ask, have parts mailed to the office she never sees it. But when she does I just tell her the car wasn't running good and didn't want it to break down more or it would cost more. Usually works

Nah_STI

I went into my current relationship with a lifted twin turbo diesel.....I explained at the beginning that most of my money goes to tools and parts....she then asked me , "well when will you be done?" My reply was...you are never done and just when you think you are something will break. I spend lots of money on parts and spend lots of time in the garage or at car and truck shows. if that is not something you are ready for then this will not work....she accepted that and she occasionally tends to attempt to sway my spending habbits but i always remind her of that conversation we had......Now I got an STI and its a never ending cycle haha

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, it sounds like she accepted the circumstances! I'm certain almost every person on this forum can relate to this exact scenario. :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
It's impossible to go back in time, but if you could, this is what I would say (because it's what I did at the beginning of our relationship, about 7 years ago):

I have a few hobbies...fairly expensive hobbies. I'm willing to compromise, especially when it comes to necessities for a family and so forth. That said, I don't want to end up like a couple of my friends who, upon getting married, were bullied into selling their sports cars and they still regret it to this day. So, fair warning...I'm going to buy car parts, guns, gun parts, hunting gear, etc. If you can't handle that, we might as well not even start dating.

Set the stage early on, gentlemen.