Zeitronix ECA Kit Install Help

ZackUSAF82

So I'm about to undertake installing the Zeitronix ECA kit in my car so I can monitor my ethanol content live...Grinder might be able to help me but neither of us have any experience with this and there's no documentation I've found online on installing this kit on an EJ.

What I'm trying to figure out is where to put my flex fuel sensor in the return fuel line, I'm working with John Visconti to try and get a plug and play fuel line kit but it may not happen and I'm not sure I want to dump more money on the lines right now either. Here are a couple pics of the lines, feel free to pull them down and photshop 'em and show me where you'd put the sensor on the return line. The sensor that comes with the kit is huge so I may end up getting a smaller Continental one but I'd like to try and make the one that comes with the kit work if I can. Here's the sensor:

zeitronix-flex-fuel-sensor.jpg

Here's the pics you can photoshop of my fuel lines:

IMAG0027_zps1bca7b8d.jpg

IMAG0026_zps97265c85.jpg

Thanks for the help guys and gals!

ZackUSAF82

Not entirely stock, I have an 05 STI FPR and they tweaked the fuel line to fix the stumble issue.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Mount that sucker on the firewall and run the fuel line to it.
Or make a bracket that mounts to the shock tower utilizing the top hat bolts to secure it.

ZackUSAF82

My main question is which part of the return line do I use? I'd really like to just mount it inline and not have to add fuel line if I don't have to but I really am having a hard time telling where on the return line I can do this. If you get a chance can you photoshop/paint where you'd put it? I just don't know which line is which after it leaves the rail. I know the return is the middle line coming off the mani...but which line is the return at the firewall?

I'll have the kit tomorrow so I will post a actual size pic of the sensor and maybe hold it in a couple locations to see what you think (and others as well). Gotta get this thing figured out, it's wearing me out trying to figure out how to install the damn thing! :p

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I think the blue line/middle is the vent/emissions. Top is feed and bottom is return.
I think?
I really hate taking a guess given I don't know how that sensor looks or the size.
I'd run the return line after the fpr to the sensor and then from the sensor run a line to the hard line at the firewall. Trace the line from the fpr back to the firewall. That's your return.
I don't see much room in there to make it work without extending the return lines and having that sensor mounted to something like the firewall.
I don't have photoshop and my Mac doesn't have paint. My PC battery is dead and it's close to bedtime. Lol wow fail!

ZackUSAF82

Roger that, I was 99% sure that was the return but I appreciate the confirmation. I have the service manual and the diagrams in there are hard to read but it's good to know that I was actually right for once. And yes, you're right that there's really no room to put it in line, the only chance is that the sensor is smaller in person and that I can fit it in right off the line coming off the fuel rail and before the FPR. I believe the sensor is generally supposed to be installed before the FPR but I'll have to research that more. It would be easier just to put new line in and run it to the firewall if it's after the FPR so if I go that route I'll have to make a couple phone calls and make sure it won't affect anything negatively.

Thanks for the help bud, I'll post up some new pics when the sensor gets here today (if it gets here before it gets dark, you never know with FedEx).

ZackUSAF82

I'm not going to bother posting a picture of the sensor that came with the kit, it's way too big to mount ANYWHERE. I'm going to try and sell it on ebay and pick up the much smaller Continental unit if I can find one...they have one that you can slap inline and it's so light it doesn't even need to be zip tied. Now to find it...argh. I'm about to just say forget the ECA and I'll just test my fuel regulary....so frustrated right now.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'm not going to bother posting a picture of the sensor that came with the kit, it's way too big to mount ANYWHERE. I'm going to try and sell it on ebay and pick up the much smaller Continental unit if I can find one...they have one that you can slap inline and it's so light it doesn't even need to be zip tied. Now to find it...argh. I'm about to just say forget the ECA and I'll just test my fuel regulary....so frustrated right now.

That sucks but at least it was good info for the rest if us

ZackUSAF82

I at least figured out where I want to mount it today, so once I get the sensor it shouldn't be too bad of an install except having to tear apart the dash and such to get in there to work. My AOS ended up being backordered so I'm waiting for a refund so I can order it from a guy that has them in stock...oil pickup will be here next week and once I get the AOS I'll have everything I need to do the install all at once.

ZackUSAF82

So the smallest sensor out there still isn't going to work in-line so it looks like I'm going to have to re-route the return line and I think I'm going to go to the firewall like Spamby suggested. What do you think about adding a line off the FPR, over to the sensor at the firewall and then bring it back and connect it to the gray return at the firewall? I'm thinking I'll use a metal in-line adapter to connect to the existing line at the firewall so I don't have to add a connector...though there isn't much pressure there so maybe I should just directly connect it there and clamp it. Apparently it's hard to find those connectors that Subaru uses but if I can find it I'd definitley go that route.

I've seen folks place their FPRs behind the I/C so I don't think it should cause me any fuel pressure issues, does this sound like a good plan to you guys?

ZackUSAF82

So I ordered the small GM sensor, it will be here Friday. I'm hoping and praying that it will work with the harness I have otherwise I'll have to get the piggyback plug from GM as well and then wire that into the harness I have. Good news is I have plenty of wire so it shouldn't be that bad but it sure would be nice if I don't need to do it. Also, I think I'm just going to clamp all my connections, I've read too many horror stories about the quick connectors popping off. Most of the issues are on the high pressure side but I think it's really overkill to spend 15 bucks a fitting for a low pressure application. If I was a show guy I could see doing it as it cleans up the engine bay but I'm not...I just want it to function properly. That's the plan, let me know if you guys think I should do things differently...I have a few weeks still to tidy things up so it's not set in stone yet but it's getting to crunch time. Install day is 10 May...can't wait!

ZackUSAF82

New sensor came today...great freaking news, same plug, same pin layout! I'm stoked, it's way smaller and will make the install so much easier. Not to mention I picked it up for 57 bucks shipped! Here's a pic of the two sensors so you can see how much smaller the new one is:

IMAG0029_zps6068d737.jpg

So glad some good luck finally came my way on this...it's been a nightmare!