Aftermarket sub with 2015 OEM HU

cAs

Hi everyone, do any of you know if I can put an aftermarket amp and sub into a factory 2015 head unit? I am planning on getting an aftermarket stereo soon, but I wanted to get a sub and amp first. Any help would be great... Thanks!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'm sure you can by utilizing line out to RCA converter but then I'm not sure with the 2015. Maybe it has RCA outs. Who knows?
But it could be done.

cAs

Is there any downside to doing that in terms of poor output or my stuff eventually blowing out?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I personally don't think the performance or quality of the sound is as good as using a head unit with a preamp output but it is a solution.
I have not blown anything up by doing so but it's also been about 17 years since I've gone that route.
I prefer to replace the head unit if I'm going to a nice stereo build.

inferno19d

I know the 2015 I have has a 10 in Harmin/ Kardin Sub with amp, i would assume that it could easily handle and after market one.

quality_sound

There has only ever been ONE car that had an OEM radio with RCA outputs, and it was a Porsche in the 90s. A good LOC will not affect the sound and it doesn't make it sound any worse than using RCAs, particularly on a sub, unless your OEM HU has some filtering on the channels you're trying to get signal from. You'd actually be better off running high level into your sub amp since any amp you pick will either have high level inputs (meaning there is a step-down transformer built-in which great simplifies the install) and the extra Voltage means you don't have to turn the gains up as much. Also, some amps' RCA inputs are capable of handling enough Voltage that you can simply add RCA ends onto your speaker wires and run those straight in instead of using an LOC or even using the built-in high-level inputs.

Again, it's a sub. There really isn't a wrong way to do it and it'll sound fine.