Best "bang for the buck" modifications for WRX's and STi's

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dei titanium looks good. You want the temp rating as high as possible IMO. EGT has a potential of being 1800* so get something close to that.
The circumference of your pipe, assuming its 3", is about 9.5". You'll want about a 1/2 to 1 inch overlap and wrapping about 12" down. Assuming you buy 2" width material and assuming the wrap is about 1/4 thick (most likely less) your utilizing 10" per wrap. Then about 4" of material per every 3" in inches of wrap down. So 20" for every 3" x 4. 80" of material needed or roughly 7 feet.
You'll need to hold this stuff on so you'll need either stainless zip ties in a length of 12 or 14 inches or hose clamps for 3.5 or 4 inch hoses.

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/dei-010131/overview/

and

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/hsp-350014

Those two are what I need then?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I can't open the links. Safari takes a dump and says too many redirects.

ZachTTLM

[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION], that is correct for what you need per Spamby's recommendation which I should add I completely agree with. Sorry it took so long to get on to see this phone is being stupid would not let me access it lastnight.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thank you very much guys!!!!!!

ZachTTLM

Thank you very much guys!!!!!!

No problem [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] if you need anything else just ask, we will be happy to help you out.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Just got home with the items! Gotta let the car cool down then im off to wrappin!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
IGOTASTi.COM Shift Knob!

Sold 8 this week.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Dei titanium looks good. You want the temp rating as high as possible IMO. EGT has a potential of being 1800* so get something close to that.

That's what I use and recommend.

Sorry for the late reply, my parents were in town for the weekend and we were out of the house almost the entire time.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
That's what I use and recommend.

Sorry for the late reply, my parents were in town for the weekend and we were out of the house almost the entire time.

Picture of your wrapped downpipe please!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Picture of your wrapped downpipe please!

I've used it on my header. I don't have my DP wrapped, just the factory turbo heat shield modified to fit over my GT30.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I've used it on my header. I don't have my DP wrapped, just the factory turbo heat shield modified to fit over my GT30.

Picture of your wrapped headers please!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I see it! So have you tested the results after you wrapped? For example: you do a pull and feel how hot the headers are before the wrap and then again same thing after the wrap?

Im assuming its not an insane difference of the radiating heat that you can actually touch the wrap with your bare hands.

But sometimes things surprise you, so let me know! :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I never did any real quantitative testing, though I should have. I will say though, that the amount of heat radiating upwards from the header when I open the hood is noticeably less than before. Not only should it reduce engine bay temps, but should reduce heat soak of my FMIC and increase the exhaust velocity to the turbo.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok then im positive the different in the wrapped downpipe will be substantial! The heat that is given off even after casual driving is pretty damn high, let alone after a pull!

I cant touch the downpipe after driving. I can get maybe 3-4 inches from it the most before the temperature is too hot for my hand. So i am very curious to see how much a difference there is with the wrap! Hopefully i can touch the downpipe! :lol:

sacnvz

Very cool thread, I just noticed it. So far I've got #6 , and #5 on order. Next will possibly be #1 once I do more research. Still need to get out on some twisty roads to see if I really need them.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
:bump: Let's improve on this list!

sacnvz

Let's add front and rear shifter bushings to the list. I replaced mine today and shifts are much firmer. Wish it already came with the car stock.