Best "bang for the buck" modifications for WRX's and STi's

sacnvz

I've been looking at an AOS. They're kinda pricey but might be worth it to protect our engines. Worthy of adding to the list?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ive heard conflicting answers on the subject. Up to the experts:
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION]

TK-421

[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION]

Depends on how much boost is being run, stock car not really worth the expense, anything past stage 1 I recommend a AOS. The way the PCV system is designed is pretty poor from the get go. Adding an AOS does help, but still doesn't eliminate the problems, which is why you see most track cars/race cars/rally cars with a completely revamped PCV system. The boxer design sort of inhibits the crankcase venting like it normally would on a inline 4 or 6 cylinder. Even V8's have a slight issue with venting. But the boxer engine is the one that is plagued the most. Both subaru and Porsche have tried to correct this issue over years and years and years, but it just comes down to physics.

Adding an AOS yes it helps, is it an absolute must? No. I've seen plenty of cars with out them. Does that mean that's wrong? Absolutely not, does it mean they should put one on right away? Nope. A AOS is a bandaid at most. Just because you add an AOS doesn't mean your going to be impervious to the inherent PCV issues with in the boxer engine design.

For the prices of some of these AOS systems I've seen for sale, I'd honestly say no it's not a must have. But if you have the technological prowess to fabricate your own for under 100 bucks. I'd say go for it. Or if you have deep pockets and like to burn your money.

sacnvz

@HolyCrapItsFast @TK-421

I've read a lot of back and forth on the subject. I'll have to dig for it but I saw one guy posted his 15' with oil in the IC already and I think he only had around 7k miles. For grins I might pull my IC this week to see if I have anything brewing in there.

TK-421

I've read a lot of back and forth on the subject. I'll have to dig for it but I saw one guy posted his 15' with oil in the IC already and I think he only had around 7k miles. For grins I might pull my IC this week to see if I have anything brewing in there.

Just because you have oil in the Intercooler doesn't mean you need to dump on a AOS. That will not fix the problem.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So in other words, spend that money on suspension?

Better yet! Wait for cobb to release their turbo ots bundles!!! :tard:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Or just get the aos and annoy [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION]

:tup:

TK-421

Gotcha! I hear ya, but it would help though right?

Not necessarily, to have oil in the Intercooler is normal, if you have puddles of oil in the Intercooler especially on a stock car, you have something else wrong, or it was beat on during the break in period. Been doing this for many years now and I have yet to see one TMIC that doesn't have some form of residue in it even with having an AOS installed.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Puddles of oil means bad turbo?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Fine ill make it. You add to it when youre ready.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
AOS is definitely a nice mod to have, but I would do other things first.

Best quot for the Buck on a GR/GV stock cars I have been reading a lot about ringland issue on the 08+: so I decided to get all the info on how to prevent it and deploy it:

1. Tune (Stock Tune is really bad and knocking even with high Octane Fuel)
2. AOS
3. Equal Length Headers
4. Water/Meth Injection (Planning)

Will see how the pistons will hold after the recommended mods.

My other Recommendation for the GR/GV (Done All):

Suspension & Bushings
Racecomp Engineering Yellow Lowering Springs (Must)
Rear Swaybar (Must)
Front Swaybar (Must)
Rear Endlinks
Front Lower Control Arm Brace
Cusco Power Brace Power Steering Rack (Must)
Steering Rack Bushings (Must)
Rear Diff Positive Power Kit Bushings (Must)
Gearbox Positive Shift Kit (Must)
Shifter Bushings Subaru (Must)
Rear Shifter Bushing (Must)

Engine & Drivetrain
Aftermarket Boost Solenoid (to control boost)
Aftermarket Internal Wastegate Actuator 7psi (to control boost)
Aftermarket Recirculating Blow Off Valve (to control boost)

Pitch Stop Mount (MUST MUST MUST)

Brake Master Cylinder Brace (Must)

Transmission Mount (If you can accept the noise then its a must)

Planning:
Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft