Best "bang for the buck" modifications for WRX's and STi's

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm probably going to be leaning towards new owners here since a good portion of current/old owners already have the knowledge. (Nothing wrong with reviewing information of expanding on it!) Anyone can chime in and help expand on the list. We are going to be discussing what the best mods for the money are going to be! :tup:

1) Front and rear sway bars with sway bar mounts, polyurethane bushings and end links.
2) Cobb Accessport (stage 1, stage 2)
3) A set of performance tires. (can find some really good, gripping tires for under $600; IE= BF Goodrich Comp-2, Bridgestone Potenza RE760, ect.)
4) K&N drop in air filter. (for stock intake)
5) Pitch stop and transmission mount. (engine mounts optional) (on the same level as sway bars of importance)
6) Platinum membership! (way too many goodies in that bundle!) :tup:
7) Polyurethane bushings. Specifically, front and rear shifter bushings.
Sticky me and improve this list! :ty:

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I highly suggest adding sway bar mounts to #1 . What good is a stiffer sway bar if the weak mounts flex when the need to stay rock solid?
RE760's are the best street tire I've run yet....period.
Don't forget the "free" intake silencer delete mod.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I was literally gonna type the silencer delete but then i thought about making another list underneath the best bang for buck as free mods to improve performance. Please edit my post!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You can. No worries. Great idea for a thread. I can't believe we've overlooked it this long. When I get on the laptop later, I'll make it a sticky if it isn't already.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok you make the free mods thread when you get a chance. Im gonna look to add to this one and clean up these posts :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I can't think of many free mods besides the intake silence delete and low beam adjustment. Maybe I'll come up with more later.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'll help you out and come up with some then. :tup: Just have to put on our thinking caps. :lol:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Not cheap-cheap, but great, and nothing more than a few hundred:
Downpipe (also requires tune)
EBCS/MBC (requires tune)
Driving School/HPDE/Auto-X to tighten the nut behind the wheel
Oil pickup (longevity, peace-of-mind)
Bushings (any/all...deserves its own thread)
Phenolic Spacers

Cheap (<$30) (maybe not best bang-for-the-buck but then again, maybe):
DIY Chassis Bridge (the one you buy is great, but definitely not cheap)
Air Pump Removal (07+) The removal is free, but you need block-off plates and to turn of CELs
DIY Turbo Wrap (I used ThermoTec)
Downpipe Wrap
Fumoto Drain Plug (if you do your own oil changes)
DIY radiator shroud
Heat tape intercooler
Heat tape coolant cross pipe
Silicone turbo couplers with t-bolt clamps (if you work on your car a lot)
DIY rear subframe lock bolts, or spend barely more and get the kit.

Free:
Rear Seat Bar delete (if you dont have fatties in the back seat often)
Coolant Bypass (if you're ok with potential risks of freezing...i think that means REALLY cold winters)
Stretch the OEM seat springs

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Not cheap-cheap, but great, and nothing more than a few hundred:
Downpipe (also requires tune)
EBCS/MBC (requires tune)
Driving School/HPDE/Auto-X to tighten the nut behind the wheel
Oil pickup (longevity, peace-of-mind)
Bushings (any/all...deserves its own thread)
Phenolic Spacers

Cheap (<$30) (maybe not best bang-for-the-buck but then again, maybe):
DIY Chassis Bridge (the one you buy is great, but definitely not cheap)
Air Pump Removal (07+) The removal is free, but you need block-off plates and to turn of CELs
DIY Turbo Wrap (I used ThermoTec)
Downpipe Wrap
Fumoto Drain Plug (if you do your own oil changes)
DIY radiator shroud
Heat tape intercooler
Heat tape coolant cross pipe
Silicone turbo couplers with t-bolt clamps (if you work on your car a lot)
DIY rear subframe lock bolts, or spend barely more and get the kit.

Free:
Rear Seat Bar delete (if you dont have fatties in the back seat often)
Coolant Bypass (if you're ok with potential risks of freezing...i think that means REALLY cold winters)
Stretch the OEM seat springs

Yellow = please make a thread.
Green = please go into more detail.
:tup:

droopys

I'd say tires, sways, chassis and drive line supports, ap or a good tune also I had some issues with mine but have worked it out than go into making the car faster it save you money and possible future headaches . If you have access to welders and and can lay a good bead than diy as stated above

Alter3go

I would say first best mods definitely depends on the purpose you will use the subie for. I personally love driving i find excuses to drive and hit corners and the occasional dirt road. I would say wider rims and tires and sway bars and lower your car via springs or coils. The car has enough power, but you can always use more lol

ZachTTLM

I am a big fan of the upgrade of shifter bushings. I feel the shifter in the Subaru models are very sloppy due to the rubber bushings. This is very cheap to do and easy to do yourself. Polyurethane versions are available front for anywhere from $20 to $40 and rear for around $35.00 depending on brand. This will help improve shifts for a nice crisp feel. You guys covered a lot of other good ones so not going to repeat.

Alter3go

I am a big fan of the upgrade of shifter bushings. I feel the shifter in the Subaru models are very sloppy due to the rubber bushings. This is very cheap to do and easy to do yourself. Polyurethane versions are available front for anywhere from $20 to $40 and rear for around $35.00 depending on brand. This will help improve shifts for a nice crisp feel. You guys covered a lot of other good ones so not going to repeat.

even with the short shift?

ZachTTLM

[MENTION=2898]Alter3go[/MENTION] I would say yes I would do the upgraded bushings even with the short shifter. You will really feel the benefits of the short shifter.

ZackUSAF82

Yes, the bushings make a HUGE difference, good call Zach! Without them the shifts are still sloppy and you just don't feel connected to the car like you should. My Kartboy SS and bushings are by far my favorite mod to the car, love it!

ZachTTLM

[MENTION=2898]Alter3go[/MENTION] we make these in house for the Subaru STi, if you are interested I can provide a price just need to know where they would be shipped to so I can get accurate shipping rate.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Dei titanium looks good. You want the temp rating as high as possible IMO. EGT has a potential of being 1800* so get something close to that.
The circumference of your pipe, assuming its 3", is about 9.5". You'll want about a 1/2 to 1 inch overlap and wrapping about 12" down. Assuming you buy 2" width material and assuming the wrap is about 1/4 thick (most likely less) your utilizing 10" per wrap. Then about 4" of material per every 3" in inches of wrap down. So 20" for every 3" x 4. 80" of material needed or roughly 7 feet.
You'll need to hold this stuff on so you'll need either stainless zip ties in a length of 12 or 14 inches or hose clamps for 3.5 or 4 inch hoses.