How to install Bumper Quick Release Fasteners

Hey all,

I was asked to make a DIY on the quick release fasteners so here it is..

I used the Password JDM fasteners. As seen below.

Tools needed:
Power drill (cordless or corded)
Small phillips screw driver
Small Wrench (Not sure of size, sorry been a while since I done the install)
Rubber sealant or treatment (I was told Vaseline would prob work as well)
Flat top screw driver or some kind of clip remover
Measuring Tape
Black marker or something to mark holes with
Drill bit (again sorry but I cant remember the size)

cNX5m7m.jpg

1: First thing I did was undo the inner fender wells so you could get access to the back of the bumper easier. Just the clips along the side. I used a flat top screw driver for the removal of the clips.

2: I measured using a flexible measuring tape I measured (for the top set) from the light to desired point on bumper and fender, also measured from the bumper line as seen in picture below. Also measured from the where the bumper meets the fender. I measured all the same lengths from all 3 positions.

3: For the bottom set of the quick release fasteners I measured from 2 different positions. From the edge of the fender and also where the bumper and fender meet. You can see the marks in the picture below.

M0VPXcR.jpg

4: I marked holes with a marker. Just make sure not to make the mark bigger then the fastener supports.

5: Used a small pilot bit to make a small hole in the middle of the mark. You can see the small hole in the pic below.

6: Using the smaller bit you can penetrate throw the bumper and fender easier and when there is a less chance of the bit sliding around and scratching up everything. As seen in the previous pic.

d6vJhWJ.jpg

7: After the small hole was made I got the proper bit for the size of the screws included in the Password JDM kit. And drilled a bigger hole. Make sure you use a paint pen to paint the edges of the hole so they dont rust out.

2tZPJWW.jpg

8: Once holes are drilled use the support and screw to secure it to the fender and bumper. Also note when drilling the holes some of the fender files falling off the bit could be hot and they will stay on the car so use water or auto detailer to lift the filings off the car.

9: Place hand in through where you left opened up the fender to hold on the the nut on the back and tighten it up.

xJYrI7q.jpg

10: My first mistake was not to use some kind of rubber sealant because after a year my fasteners dry rotted after a year.

Finished product.

9jYxK1e.jpg

Not much but I hope it helps. If you have any questions send me a pm or comment below.

Thanks,
Brandon

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thank you for sharing.

Stuck this thread. :tup:

What would you recommend to keep the rubber rings from dr trotting so fast? We get a lot of sun here and I'm on pair number 4 of them in a matter of 2 or 3 months.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I appreciate this how-to... I'm about to do this and this write-up couldn't have come at a better time.

Thank you!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Some people need to access behind the bumper quickly and these help you take the bumper off faster.

What hardware is being removed? The front facia snaps on below the head light and there are only a few screws after that. So what is being removed to allow kick release? Sorry just curious

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm not sure why others need quick release of the bumper, but for my purposes, we often take the shop cars to shows and events and we trailer them. We can't get them on the trailer if the bumpers are installed because the cars are so low and have lips and other ground effects so we use the quick release for that purpose. It also gives us quick access to the intercooler in the event we need to access or repair things during a race event and do it quickly. On our Silvia, most of the body panels use quick release

I guess I need to figure out what needs to be done to make it actually quick release. I want to get a second facia that i can use on track days or bad weather days so i don't have to worry about something happening to it

Do a search for "rubber dry rot prevention 303" on Google. It should help you find the name of the stuff I've found that works pretty well. I'll see how well it helps them last long term, but I can say it revitalized my tires.

Edit: 303 Aerospace Protectant