Staff member
This guy was in my back yard last night, 10 yards or less from my couch. :lol:

5bc9adbe607f295885c84461e9c8ef6c.jpg

103acfb5d4dcdfc6ecb9040213b4b32f.jpg

EDIT: uhhh...not the sideways photo Tapatalk fiasco again! :doh:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I was out squirrel hunting yesterday and came across this big guy. He figured he could stay really still and I wouldn't see him. :lol: For reference, that vine is larger in diameter than the barrel of a baseball bat.

I was unsuccessful in yesterday's hunt, but it was a nice day to be out in the woods, away from everyone. And it's always cool to see some critters, whether they are on the menu or not.

04c64725c77a83facd60ecfa8a45ec63.jpg

e197dbac1b18027167d6bcdcc054b3ce.jpg

fb84b5d749ff124555f7733f5ee1488a.jpg

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Re: The Hunting & Fishing Thread

Took the old man walleye fishing on the Detroit River.

We did pretty well, filling two 1-gallon freezer bags to the brim with cleaned fillets, collars (walleye wings) and cheeks.

0e7b7d315f1f7151b501f1493cc48c36.jpg

43683fa0ebe202f21270f53de6e060b4.jpg

f217f6cd51bac0e88a06bc98c990c807.jpg

529a11637bb119ca8e9a4ca3bae7caa9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Check it out!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
T-minus: 65 hours until the opening of the 2021 Michigan Firearm Deer Season! I took vacation for the entire first week of the season. Hopefully my e-scouting, ground truthing and general preparation pays off this year. Despite my very best attempts to find isolated locations in the nastiest terrain possible (where there are usually deer, but not usually hunters), I have yet to find a spot to set up that doesn't already have some other guy's tree stand in there. Very disappointing...

However, this past Saturday morning when I was out scouting I was sneaking along completely silent, in FULL camo. Seriously...my only exposed skin was a thin strip around my eyes. :sneaky: I then hear a grunt, and think to myself that it sounds a lot like a grunt tube (a call that hunters use to simulate a buck grunting) and it must be another hunter in the woods--probably up in a tree--who is trying to get my attention without speaking (after all, it's happened before...and I've done it myself). So I peek over the edge of the steep ridge I'm on and see a flash of brown moving in the cover about 60 yards away. So I blew my own grunt call and an 8-point buck sprinted in to see who's on his property. He came to a stop less than 10 yards from me and was looking for a fight. I just froze in place. He was bobbing his head (because their eyes are on the sides of their head, like other prey animals, they don't have the best depth perception at certain distances and will bob their heads to produce a better 3D view) and stomping the ground, trying to scare me into flinching, then he ripped up a small sapling with his antlers. All happening, really....really close to me. My heart rate must have been bouncing off the rev limiter. :ROFLMAO:

After about a minute of this, he eventually walked off calmly in the other direction. I'm really glad I didn't get gored. This was the first time in over 20 years that I've had a rutting buck come running into a call. Super exciting.

So I stayed there for another 10 minutes or so, so that he would get out of visual range before I could begin walking again without being found out (deer remember encounters with people, and I don't want him to shy away from that area during hunting season because he saw me a week before).

I get another 50 yards down that trail and what do I find...?

Another tree stand. :poop:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Glad you didn't get gored and that's a pretty awesome story to take back home. Wishing you luck on your hunting season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks buddy! No luck so far and the weather didn't help matters much. I will be back out there this weekend though! I'll be sure to let you guys know if/when I get one.