How to Avoid Blown Ringlands in your WRX or STI

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Warranty is voided if aftermarket part is a direct cause of failure.
A catback should void nothing.
A turbo back could, but the ECU reprogram that goes with the downpipe most certainly would void the power train warranty.
Tearing the engine down and replacing the parts inside will void the engine-power train warranty.

This problem happened with my 2014 sti with only 5400 miles.. Had cold air AEM intake an SPT Cat-back exhaust and cobb access port with stage 1 tune. Subaru warranty covered it but could not wait two months for them to fix it even though they gave me a loaner till my car was fixed.. So I ended up getting the 2015 sti.. Hopefully I don't have the same problem again..

Were they aware of the stage 1? or I'm assuming it was reverted back and unmarried before Subaru took it in?

Non the less, great article. Hoping I can get the needed items and tune for reassurance.

CarGuyNeil

This sounds like a Subaru engineering failure. We shouldn't have to be paying for replacement piston and/or motors because of their poor engineering.

If only if there was an option to drop forged pistons on a subie order.

evb

how about this theory: USDM STi pistons are not forged (as of 2004 anyway), but they should have been.

Very good article, ironic cause I just called cobb yesterday to get a quote on my motor build to furthermore avoid Ringland failure lol