E-70 to E-85 with Alcohol

I know that E-85 and Alcohol are very similar so I am curious to know that if I fill up from a station and the E-85 is actually E-70, could I add some denatured alcohol to it to bump it to the 85% ethanol I am looking for, or would I have to add something else along with the alcohol to achieve this. Lastly is this even a good idea and should I just not mess with it?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Taken from wiki...
Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits is ethanol that has additives to make it poisonous, extremely bad tasting, foul smelling or nauseating, to discourage recreational consumption. In some cases it is also dyed.

So I would imagine that it is very close and your thoughts are valid... Try it out and let us know! The key here though is that you have a tune available for what ever concentration of ethanol you are targeting. Meaning if you were tuned on e70 then adding more ethanol will do you no good.

Your fuel trims should tell you how close you are and depending on how well the tuner calibrated your MAF at the time, your fuel trims should be close to zero when you reach the ideal concentration. The better way to do this is to determine what AFR at WOT was being targeted at the time it was tuned and add to the concentration till AFR's reach target.

I wish someone would come out with a viable flexfuel option for Subaru. That would be the easy solution. :tup:

ZackUSAF82

I wish someone would come out with a viable flexfuel option for Subaru. That would be the easy solution. :tup:

Amen to that, I'm even slightly considering going to a custom stand-alone EMS to pair with my Zeitronix...I'd be more willing to do it if more E85 stations were around but right now there's really only one and they get their tank topped off once a year in the summer (should be any week now) so I should get close to the same blend all year. I also probably won't be running E85 this winter if my tuner can't fix my cold start/initial idle issues. I'd imagine my car would be a royal biotch to start if it were in the 30s right now...

To the original question, I agree with HCIF, you should in theory be able to bump up your content, I'm assuming you want to do this when the stations switch to the winter blend around you? I'm definitely interested to see how it turns out just in case my station ever gets a shitty batch of corn fuel...

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
This is what I had planned when I went e85. I was going to alter the mix if needed.
I found that per can or whatever, thus was cost prohibitive. Basically very expensive to change a blend from say winter to summer.
What I learned is basically, it's probably not going to harm things if going from a summer blend tune to a winter mix of ethanol. Hearsay is you'd run a bit rich, though I have seen no testing nor am I a tuner.
Unfortunately when I was tuned, we only had e70, even in the summer. I was tuned in the summer on e70. Next summer I find out we are now getting all three seasonal blends. So going from e70 to e85, I notice that my ltft creeps up as it's adding more fuel to compensate for a lean condition. Now I can mix a gallon or just a hair less of 91 to help bring back closer to e70.
Basic math and accounting for percentage of ethanol or gas by volume spits out a close enough mix ratio to get things closer inline.
Not optimal as the blending in the tank probably is not as good as at the fuel blending station but nevertheless, close enough.