Used Coilovers Question

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Just bought a set of lightly used coils. They are Buddy Club D1's. They come with the spanner wrenches, but no camber plates. Now, in the past, I have seen different brands for the camber plates that are recommended over and over again. What do you guys recommend when it comes to camber plates? Also, what would happen if I installed the coils without and camber plates? Finally, the bolts that keep the coils on the hub, do I need to find new ones? (Stock ones are really nasty and rusted to shit! :tdown: )

$(KGrHqUOKi8E5!KRByQEBOQLI6zo2!~~0_3.JPG

14172005954_af058ea30b_b.jpg

Price was unreal, especially for what they are brand new. :tup:

These will be the final piece to my suspension and will be installed alongside the underbody bushings I've had for the past 2 years laying around. Any other information that I need to know about coils?
@Batmobile_Engage @Spamby @Grinder34 @35r @zax @WRB_STi @HolyCrapItsFast @IGOTASTi.COM

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You'll probably have to get plates designed for coilovers without the use of factory spring or factory diameter spring. Meaning, Vorshlag Whiteline or something of the like.
I'd replace the bolts if they are nasty.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Are the bolts just normal bolts? Where would i buy them from? I will look into the vorshlag because thats one of the names that always pop up.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
EDIT: I feel like those are for the lower end of the strut, in conjuction with a camber bolt as well. They may work on the top in the rear but I can't remember.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Nope. Those are for the other end of the strut.
I specified a few posts up that I need to replace the bolts that attach the coil to the hub! (Wheel part)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok, going by OAKOS description, the OEM use 1 on each front strut and 2 on each rear. So, then I need 8 total bolts then, correct?

What the hell are camber bolts now?! :angry:

This is the non-adjustable bolt that mounts the bottom of the strut to the hub housing. They are used in both the upper and lower positions on the rear struts and only the lower position on the front. Fits '04-'07 STi Rear Strut Upper or Lower Position. Only fits '04 STi Front. '05-'07 STi Front Bolt is a different part number.

Camber bolts are strut mount bolts!

Gah! what brand camber bolt! :lmao:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You guys like breaking rules?

Geese......

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No! You guys were confusing me!!!! :angry:

So, the mount bolts are the ones that hold the coil to the hubs.
The camber bolts are whatever they hell they are on top with the camber plates?!

Someone show me with a picture please. These damn camber bolts!!!! :banghead:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, these are camber bolts apparently. The two holding the hub to the coil.....

frontcamberbolt2.jpg

2d58f7cccf43de27.jpg

Do bolts get classified as "camber" bolts if they have that little weird washer with it?

Otherwise they are just normal mounting bolts?!?!??!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

WTF are these bolts on the camber plate??

coil_over_mount_2.jpg

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The lower bolt on the hub is the mount bolt. The upper bolt is the camber bolt.
The three outside bolts on the top plate is the strut top mounting bolts.
The four little bolts on the inside of the plate is the camber adjustment on the plate.
Most top plates are camber adjustable plates, meaning you can get more camber adjustment from the top plate. Your factory top hat does not have this extra camber adjustment.
Looking at the photo, iirc, the top bolt should not be at 129lb ft. Only the bottom. I think it's more like 70 on the top.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I understand now! :ty:

so i need 4 mounting bolts and 4 camber bolts then correct?

Also wtf..... Prices on camber plates....... :rambo:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Front strut: 2 lower/mount bolts and two camber bolts.
Rear strut: 2 mount bolts.

Yes, plates are expensive

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Front strut: 2 lower/mount bolts and two camber bolts. Rear strut: 2 mount bolts. Yes, plates are expensive

Wait a minute... Front strut, bottom end, 2 bolt holes. 1 strut mount bolt, 1 camber bolt. Back strut, bottom end, 2 strut mount bolts.

6 strut mount bolts and 2 camber bolts. Right? It's been a few years since I did my suspension, but I think that's right.

Yeah, camber plates are expensive. I have Group N top hats in the back and RCE camber plates in the front. The Group N top hats are designed to set camber at -1.5 degrees, IIRC. I don't know how necessary (or possible) camber plates are in the back. The Group N top hats are practically factory spec, but are made of a harder, more resilient material that resists flexing.

The bolts sticking up out of the camber plate in the picture above are standard mounting bolts that usually come with the plates when you order them.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Wait a minute... Front strut, bottom end, 2 bolt holes. 1 strut mount bolt, 1 camber bolt. Back strut, bottom end, 2 strut mount bolts.

6 strut mount bolts and 2 camber bolts. Right? It's been a few years since I did my suspension, but I think that's right.

Yeah, camber plates are expensive. I have Group N top hats in the back and RCE camber plates in the front. The Group N top hats are designed to set camber at -1.5 degrees, IIRC. I don't know how necessary (or possible) camber plates are in the back. The Group N top hats are practically factory spec, but are made of a harder, more resilient material that resists flexing.

The bolts sticking up out of the camber plate in the picture above are standard mounting bolts that usually come with the plates when you order them.

I am speaking of total bolts each end.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So then 4 total mount bolts from OAKOS. Where do i buy the 2 camber bolts from since they are not OEM?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Also, here we go!

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Eibach-5-81260K-Camber-Bolts
http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Camber_Adjustment_Components_for_02_07_Subaru_WRX_STI-1805-1.html

So, which is "best" for me? :lol:

Quite a difference in price...

What're the difference in tophats and camber plates? Do you need both together on the fron and rear coils?

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I am speaking of total bolts each end.

I'm lost.

Front strut: 2 lower/mount bolts and two camber bolts.

That takes care of both front struts.

Rear strut: 2 mount bolts.

That's only enough for 1 rear strut. Double that, you need 4 strut mount bolts.

So then 4 total mount bolts from OAKOS.

No, 6 mount bolts total.

What're the difference in tophats and camber plates? Do you need both together on the fron and rear coils?

You use either top hats or camber plates to attach top of the struts to the car. The functional difference between top hats and camber plates is that camber plates are adjustable from the top of the strut while top hats are not.

Camber adjustments are done using the camber bolts on the lower end of the struts. With top hats, the most camber you can dial in is -1.5 degrees. Camber plates allow a wider adjustment window.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Spamby was referring to each strut individually. So a front strut has the two holes at the bottom. The lower hole is a mount and the top is a camber bolt. So 2 camber 2 mount bolts for the front. The rear struts each use 2 mount bolts.

Confusion thread! :lol:

so camber plates for front and rear, camber plate front tophat rear?! What combo?!