Fuel injector cleaner

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Something not too many people think about, but something that is worth mentioning, I think. Fuel injector cleaners. Do you use them? Have you noticed anything from using one type over another? Do you think they are a waste of money? I just put some of the Lucas deep clean fuel system cleaner in, and am curious to know what you folks think of these cleaners. Thanks!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Lucas is all we use when it comes to Fuel Injector cleaner.

Great stuff, and good choice. ;)

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Once or twice a year, I buy a bottle of this...

http://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/lucas-fuel-treatment

I've always had great experiences with Lucas Oil products, so I guess I trust that this product is also high quality. It improves my highway mileage by about 1 mpg for a while after using it. I don't know if others see any difference but I primarily use it to prevent the possibility of a clogged injector.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Am I the only one that has never used an injector cleaner?!?!

How much is needed? I'll go buy some cause I've seen it at Autozone.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
A normal sized bottle lasts for a number of tanks of gas. I can't remember exactly, but it's something like 4 oz. per 15 gallons of gas.

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
You can buy single tank bottles of the deep clean at Auto zone for about $7. They do have it on sale sometimes, as well. Figure if I use it every couple of months, $7 isn't much to spend to keep those 1000's clean and happy. They had the other kind in the link above for $4 on sale. I figured with at least 50k on those injectors, I'd go for the heavy duty stuff :p For a couple bucks more, why not?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Lucas works wonders. We use it at the shop all the time.

@Alin I'm sure your injectors could use a bath. :rofl:

You can buy single tank bottles at Auto zone for about $7. They do have it on sale sometimes, as well. Figure if I use it every couple of months, $7 isn't much to spend to keep those 1000's clean and happy.

I agree the money isn't much for that piece of mind. Personally I don't use them as much on the newer cars but on the older ones I've always used seafoam. 100+ mileage car. That's always worked for me. I always notice improved idle instantly on the older cars I've owned. Poured it in the tank (for injectors) and the other through the intake for a direct cylinder clean, especially valves. My thoughts are that for one who uses E85 or premium fuel there is less chance of carbon buildup. E85 is pretty much the cleanest fuel next to race gas really. Our E85 here is rated at 104 octane.That and many premium 91-93 fuels have additives already in them like Chevron and Shell pumps. 87 gas on an old N/A car is a different story. lol.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=866]taco15[/MENTION] we heard seafoam isn't good for our cars.

How does the seafoam work?

The only Fuel Injector Cleaner I've used that I can actually see a difference with after use is the AMSOIL PI Improver. I logged a difference after the use of this product driving from Springfield to Kansas City and back. In order to make sure I had accurate information as a result from the testing I made sure weight load was the same, wind and weather conditions were the same including the use of the same octane of fuel and driving habits. Mileage was increased and idle was also much improved.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=2334]Defined Performance[/MENTION] oh man. We have never tried the AMSOIL. :tard:

Order time.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
@taco15 we heard seafoam isn't good for our cars.

How does the seafoam work?

Who said this... I use it all the time. Best stuff on earth plus you use it once and your done instead of driving around with additives in your gas and risking knock. SeaFoam also cleans the entire top end of the motor.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I have used them in the past with mixed results. Sometimes it seems they work and others, not so much.
Lucas was always what I grabbed.
I'm also of the understanding that cleaners and octane boosters designed for gas should not be used for E85 as they tend to screw with the fuel. Can't recall what exactly but it stuck in my mind for some reason?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Who said this... I use it all the time. Best stuff on earth plus you use it once and your done instead of driving around with additives in your gas and risking knock. SeaFoam also cleans the entire top end of the motor.

Holy you lost us.

I have used them in the past with mixed results. Sometimes it seems they work and others, not so much.
Lucas was always what I grabbed.
I'm also of the understanding that cleaners and octane boosters designed for gas should not be used for E85 as they tend to screw with the fuel. Can't recall what exactly but it stuck in my mind for some reason?

Spamby that's 100% correct. If you're running on anything more than a 10% Ethanol fuel you should only use Ethanol Safe fuel cleaners. The only Ethanol Fuel Cleaner I know of is made by Lucas. From what I understand this is more of a conditioner than a cleaner. It helps to prevent rust from forming and helps to ward of moisture which is always an issue when E85 is in the tank.