Brakes, Brake Fluid & Rotors

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Let's make an all about Brakes & Rotors Thread. :)

1. What Rotors do you think are the best bang for your dollar?
2. What Brake Pads do you like?
3. What Pads don't leave a ton of dust on your wheels.
4. What Rotors & Pad work great together?
5. What Brake Fluid do you use?
6. Add anything you like about Brakes, Brake Fluid & Rotors.

Ready, Set, Go!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Factory setup:

Pros:
Great initial bite
Tolerate moderate heat
Comes to temp quickly
Fairly quiet

Cons:
Pricey for replacements
Dusts like no other
Fades after repeated heavy braking
Fairly short life
Can be clunky or noisy

Overall:
A good street pad with above average braking ability in a street type setup. Dusts badly and relatively short lived, both pads and rotors. Can be pricey to replace as others are cheaper and offer comparable performance

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
DBA T3/T2 slotted rotors
Project Mu B-force pads
ATE super blue (or amber as offered now)

Pros:
Good initial bite with a linear feel throughout braking.
Dusts much less than oem.
Tolerates more heat than oem. Closer to a light track pad.
At the price point, probably an all around better alternative than oem.
Rotors seem to not be as affected by being wet, bites better in rain or when brakes have been submerged.
Rotors look cool cuz racecar.
Fluid has higher boiling point for more heat resistance.
Fluid is blue making changes from ambers easy.

Cons:
Can be noisy, especially cold.
Needs a bit more temp to get a solid brake bite. When cold and in cold weather, brakes feel like there is less bite.
Pricey considering the pads are more of a street type pad.
Rotors are pricey. Marginal performance increase on street, at least felt.
Rotors can not be turned. Single use only so adding to cost in the long term.
Super blue no longer offered in U.S.
ATE fluid is pricey for the marginal added performance gained. Still a street fluid.

Overall:
A nice setup that can offer a bit more tracking performance but yet be suitable on the street, when compared to oem. Initial bite and linear feel can be off-putting when your used to the hard grab and fade of the Brembo stuff. In contrast, the linear braking offers more consistency and a sense of how hard to push or modulate the pedal to gain more or less grab. No "oh shit" moments due to fade when pushed a bit harder compared to oem.
Definitely less dusting so your not left with a shiny clean ride yet dirty wheels.
Damn pricey and probably not needed for a street machine, but yet may not be suitable for tracks with moderate to heavy braking.
ATE super blue is hyped up. This is not a track fluid but more of a street performance fluid. Pricey for the marginal gains and due to the blue fluid no longer being with us, others should fit the bill at a cheaper cost, for street use.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
im going to be needing brakes soon on my 07. i was tlking with a few friends and they all agreed that the best bang for the buck would be Hawk HPS pads and DBA4000 slotted rotors. any advice on that would be great. i dont track the car its a daily but i do drive on the aggressive side and i need the car to stop when it has to. thanks.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Exact setup i have. Little to no dust. Might squeel during sever cold weather. Stops fantastic!

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
@definedperformance does he speak the truth? lol i got a quote from a friend of mine that does local wholesale for $650 pads and rotors all 4

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
We shall see what he says :tup:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We're in the process of buying new rotors and brakes this week.

What do you guys recommend at this time? We want something that looks awesome and works top notch.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Do they make the DBA5000 for both front and back?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Going to look into this. ;)

We definitely want the DBA rotors.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
They do have DBA5000. Are you ever going to take the car to the track?

We have tracked it.

We also thought only the DBA5000 came in the front rotors only. Do they make backs now also?