05 STI BUILD

Got my photobucket working again so posted a quick pic of the subie and the engine

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

You can see the blending of the porting by looking down the intake port in this photo.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

Looking good. Almost there. Keep up the good work, and hope you get back on the road soon.
LOL its been broken for ever and it's garaged at my mom's house so on my spare time I go work on it now I just have to figure out if I need to borrow a set of cam wrenches to do the cam gears and timing belt install

For me getting correct torque on all the bolts is very important. So buying/borrowing the correct tool to do a job is just part of doing the job. Do you self a favor and dont take the shortcut and get the cam gear tool to torque those bolts down correctly and save your self the mind games of, will that ever come loose will it break etc. the tool itself is not that back let me fine a link .
Over all whats $120 compared to all the other stuff you already put into this engine. Crank pully would be nice but that one you can use the fly wheel to keep the rotating assembly in place while you torque it down.

hears a link to the exhaust one on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-STD-Sp...id=1454021006&sr=8-1&keywords=subaru+cam+tool
and here a link to the intake one:
http://www.amazon.com/COMPANY23-INT...263_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DYA0ZXNT363SC479A3G

Also since I am looking up information:
FSM states the torque is as follows
30 Nm (2.0 kgf-m, 21.8 Ft-lb), and then tighten 45* furthermore.
This applies to both intake and exhaust cams on the 05 WRX STI

:04ftw:

Thanks for the info I think I can rent the cam gears wrenches for a case of beer from someone in the local club so I'll try to connect with him.

I ordered a set since a vendor had a 20 percent off sale on company23 products.

The tools look like they will do the job and last but I will say the craftsmanship could be a bit better and I will be taking a file to de bur some of the areas that will make contact with the actual cam gears.

I also picked up a grim speed light weight crank pulley since my stocker is 11 years old now and I figured it was a good enough excuse to finally pick up a new pulley.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

I just picked up a set of these. I also got the cam lock tool to help keep the cam sprockets from moving while placing the timing belt. I'm planing to replace my motor soon and I think these will come in handy. :D

I just picked up a set of these. I also got the cam lock tool to help keep the cam sprockets from moving while placing the timing belt. I'm planing to replace my motor soon and I think these will come in handy. :D
I almost purchased the cam lock tool as well now your making me regret not doing it lol.

How much lighter is the pulley?
It's a CNC aluminum balanced pulley that is around 3.5 pounds lighter then the stock pulley.

There's several different manufactures out there that have lighter pulleys but this one has good reviews for not throwing the CEL codes.

I figured if I'm this far in to it I might as well get some top feed injectors so I purchased Sudo STI's TGV Housings and fuel rails he had laying around and then purchased a set of Injector Dynamics 1000 cc top feed injectors.

b3adcb43d3dbcba8a5784a21924066fd.jpg

I also purchased a cam lock tool to lock the cams in place during the timing belt installation.

fb93bb1983de853377f15f233fcc3014.jpg

Nice. cant wait to see it all together
Neither can I lol.

It will be ready for a larger turbo but I'll just run the stock one till it goes and it should be entertaining to see what a stock turbo can produce with the headwork, upgraded fuel system, intake system and exhaust system. Of course along with a tune from [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

I am not too far behind ya started pulling my Motor last night. So i see [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] being busy this spring lol.....I would use my stock turbo as well but looks like it might be shot as i dont see any oil on the cold inlet side but a cap full on the cold outlet side. That and the waste gate is developing a crack.

So whats left on the long list of stuff before its ready to be assembled and put in?

I am not too far behind ya started pulling my Motor last night. So i see [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] being busy this spring lol.....I would use my stock turbo as well but looks like it might be shot as i dont see any oil on the cold inlet side but a cap full on the cold outlet side. That and the waste gate is developing a crack.

So whats left on the long list of stuff before its ready to be assembled and put in?
This is the current money pit list.

Short Block
Built with K1 rods and wiseco 100mm pistons built and balanced by maxwell performance.

Heads
Stock 2005 sti heads Pocket Ported and assembled with new cam buckets, GSC intake and exhaust valves, BC single spring steel retainers by Headgames Motorworks

Intake System
Injen cold air intake with a perrin turbo inlet, perrin FMIC.

Fuel System
Top feed TGV deleted housing, stock top feed rails, injector dynamics 1000 cc top feed injectors and KS Tech phenolic spacer.

Ignition
XS ignition amp

Exhaust System
Borla header, stock up pipe, mad dad V2 catted down pipe with a perrin fault tube cat back going to a single muffler.

Equals stock VF39 turbo money pit.

Since the car is parked in my mom's garage and I have two children under 5 years of age build time is limited to every sunday. I have to still install the timing belt, port the tgv and most likely port the intake then bolt everything up and install it back in to the car.

Also since I purchased the car in 06 and modded it back then with advice from my tuner I have odd parts for a stock turbo like the perrin FMIC amd the XS ignition amp which aren't necessary but since I dropped money in to those parts I'll just use them and will get the real benefit of the FMIC when I go larger turbo.

I also still have to get the tractix cable since I have a Cob V1 AP and refuse to drop more cash on another AP that will become outdated and not supported by tuners 5 or 10 years down the road.