05 STI BUILD

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I am not too far behind ya started pulling my Motor last night. So i see @HolyCrapItsFast being busy this spring lol.....I would use my stock turbo as well but looks like it might be shot as i dont see any oil on the cold inlet side but a cap full on the cold outlet side. That and the waste gate is developing a crack.

So whats left on the long list of stuff before its ready to be assembled and put in?

Take Pictures! :D

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
How much did you pay for head work if you don't mind me asking. You have a bit more done to them than I do and I was just wondering. I can't wait to see how this runs!.

This is the current money pit list.

Short Block
Built with K1 rods and wiseco 100mm pistons built and balanced by maxwell performance.

Heads
Stock 2005 sti heads Pocket Ported and assembled with new cam buckets, GSC intake and exhaust valves, BC single spring steel retainers by Headgames Motorworks

Intake System
Injen cold air intake with a perrin turbo inlet, perrin FMIC.

Fuel System
Top feed TGV deleted housing, stock top feed rails, injector dynamics 1000 cc top feed injectors and KS Tech phenolic spacer.

Ignition
XS ignition amp

Exhaust System
Borla header, stock up pipe, mad dad V2 catted down pipe with a perrin fault tube cat back going to a single muffler.

Equals stock VF39 turbo money pit.

Since the car is parked in my mom's garage and I have two children under 5 years of age build time is limited to every sunday. I have to still install the timing belt, port the tgv and most likely port the intake then bolt everything up and install it back in to the car.

Also since I purchased the car in 06 and modded it back then with advice from my tuner I have odd parts for a stock turbo like the perrin FMIC amd the XS ignition amp which aren't necessary but since I dropped money in to those parts I'll just use them and will get the real benefit of the FMIC when I go larger turbo.

I also still have to get the tractix cable since I have a Cob V1 AP and refuse to drop more cash on another AP that will become outdated and not supported by tuners 5 or 10 years down the road.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

How much did you pay for head work if you don't mind me asking. You have a bit more done to them than I do and I was just wondering. I can't wait to see how this runs!.
I don't mind saying and it was $1918 it would have been $378 less if I didn't have to replace the cam buckets.

The only porting was the blending of the bowls but I'm hoping it makes a difference. I went with the BC single spring and steel retainers since i wamted it for daily driving reliability which reduced the over all cost a small amount.

Yes I can't wait to see what you produce on the tune and I'm more excited about the road tuning then the WOT dyno tune I previously had.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

Well I've made a bit more progress with the build. I removed the cam gears to install the timing belt cover (you have to love stupid mistakes you make when you do long term builds). Reinstalled the cam gears, timing belt components and timing belt. Installed the new oil pick up along with the crank Valley splash shield, and sealed up the motor by installing the oil pan and valve covers.*

Timing belt installed.

Tigwerks Fab Oil Pick Up

Engine with the timing belt covers and lightweight pulley installed.

e77f44391065d0f537f4cd38175cb197.jpg

31a658b4e1627bcf847199b426ebbbb6.jpg

My little grease monkeys giving a helping hand.

cf3d1245e91e08f3c4e4c2ce55b12e90.jpg

I took it easy this Sunday and only installed the coolant crossover on the motor and came to the conclusion there's not info in my subaru engine manifold on the cooling system WTH.

I also took the intake manifold off the stock side feed TGV and came to the conclusion I will order the grim speed intake gaskets since they are larger bore and better match the tgv to the top feed TGV Housings that I will be porting out.

0289f877d2555cec1366e0d60ae1a5ef.jpg

I also removed the stock headlights and will be baking them and clearing the orange out now I have to decide if I'm going to paint the Housings black or keep it as is since it's on a silver sti amd i dont know if the clear or black will look better

Anybody have feedback on the headlight bake? What do you guys think looks better on an 05 sti that is silver?

Stock silver Housings or paint the Housings black when I do the removal of the orange lens?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Black housing with deleted amber looks amazing on ANY colored 04/05 WRX and STi, IMO of course! :tup:

Black housing with deleted amber looks amazing on ANY colored 04/05 WRX and STi, IMO of course! :tup:
Yes it's between the stock silver or black just trying to get members feedback. I know I've seen the silver look good with both and I have my front mount painted black so I'm leaning towards black as well but have seen a super clean silver 05 with just silver housing headlights.

http://pretuning.com/2016/01/pre-billet-compressor-wheel-upgrade-for-ihi-turbocharger/

So I'm probably going to bit the bullet and send my turbine shaft and hot side wheel to these guys and have them install the forged billet wheel and balance it. I'm figuring for around 180 dollars 20 to 30 whp with a faster spooling turbo might make for a fun stock turbo daily driver.

What do you guys think?
[MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] do you think I'll be able to hit around 340 to 350 whp with my mods headwork and this turbo mod?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Interested in results if you go this route!

Interested in results if you go this route!
I'm really considering it since I'm thinking my current mods and head work should be able to produce a 315 whp pretty easily and if this turbine upgrade increases stock turbo 20 to 30 whp that would be around 330 to 345 whp mark.

I had 297 whp, 315 torque at the wheels with out the headwork, tgv deletes, 1000 cc injectors and turbo inlet. So those are the new mods and I'm considering ditching my mad dad catted dp for a catless invidia dp that's on a local add. Maybe also getting a 3 port boost controller (MAC valve style) to give more boost controlling options.

Might be fun to see how quickly I can get this turbo to spool and see what it will produce. (Even though it's on a FMIC)

7d825ff0ce4c491d374c40d70c4da82c.jpg

This is a graph from one of their tests

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
350 is a tall order for the VF39 alone by itself but modified along with your other mods, it may be allot easier to achieve. Still, it would not be the best match for your other mods. All of your other mods support a much larger turbo.

Still that dyno sheet raises more questions than it answers. It is a virtual dyno graph, something I am very familiar with, and the smoothing factor is 4 which begs the question why. With that kind of smoothing, the numbers are hardly reliable and I have to question the tune. I am able to achieve far better results while using only a smoothing factor of 1. I know this sounds like another of my usual "The glass is half empty" advice I tend to make, but I wonder what they are hiding behind that smoothing factor. Look at the blue plot... see how choppy it is as it reaches peak boost. At a factor of 1, that would look like the ocean's surface during a hurricane. The other thing is the weight and the tire sizes used for each graph suggests that either different cars were use for the tests or the values were manipulated to get the desired numbers. The only test I would accept would be on the same exact car and all thing being equal except the turbo itself.

I would go with proven, well tested, and well documented solutions first. :tup:

350 is a tall order for the VF39 alone by itself but modified along with your other mods, it may be allot easier to achieve. Still, it would not be the best match for your other mods. All of your other mods support a much larger turbo.

Still that dyno sheet raises more questions than it answers. It is a virtual dyno graph, something I am very familiar with, and the smoothing factor is 4 which begs the question why. With that kind of smoothing, the numbers are hardly reliable and I have to question the tune. I am able to achieve far better results while using only a smoothing factor of 1. I know this sounds like another of my usual "The glass is half empty" advice I tend to make, but I wonder what they are hiding behind that smoothing factor. Look at the blue plot... see how choppy it is as it reaches peak boost. At a factor of 1, that would look like the ocean's surface during a hurricane. The other thing is the weight and the tire sizes used for each graph suggests that either different cars were use for the tests or the values were manipulated to get the desired numbers. The only test I would accept would be on the same exact car and all thing being equal except the turbo itself.

Thanks for the honest feedback I noticed it was a virtual dyno as well and figured you'd know a bit more about it hence why I tagged you.

Your opinion is much apreciated now I guess I'll have to either run the turbo stock or figure something else out lol.

By the way [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] do you think the compressor made that graph choppy or just the way they manipulated it because that would be a major concern of mine. I wouldn't want to mod anything that would make it a PITA to tune and reduce drivability especially if I paid money to do that lol.

Here is a great OEM Mitsubishi 20g for a Subaru STI or WRX.

? rebuilt with 0 miles

? light weight revised 20g compressor wheel 52.6 x 68 mm

? OEM upgraded turbo rebuild kit.

? Tdo5h turbine shaft 49 x 56mm shaft

? Rated for 350 - 415 hp

? New cartridge built by turbo lab*

? 2 year 24,000 mile warranty*

? Very small hair line cracks on the wastegate area , looks like they can be ported out and removed

? Ported a polished turbine housing from forced performance

? Originally this turbo was an Fp OEM Subaru 18g

c8f06e8a5b6a931aadb907edb4a078d8.jpg

What do you guys think of this for $550,

Would you trust a refurbished turbo and what do you think of the waste gate cracks?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Don't like them cracks.

?Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!?