Classic STI

plumber

Does anybody know or have the fault flash codes for a classic impretza STI and how to read them and clear them?:roll:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yours is a 95 STi, right?

plumber

Yes registration was 1st Jan 1995 but probably manufactured in 1994. I think it was early 95 when the obd2 plug was made compulsory on all vehicles.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Is this what you need below?

Subaru codeSubaru trouble code description
1Engine Speed Signal Circuit
11Crankshaft Position Sensor
12Starter Signal
13Camshaft Position Sensor
14Fuel Injector No. 1 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX)
15Fuel Injector No. 2 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX)
16Fuel Injector No. 3 (Legacy, Impreza, Justy, SVX)
17Fuel Injector No. 4 (Legacy, Impreza, SVX)
18Fuel Injector No. 5 (SVX)
19Fuel Injector No. 6 (SVX)
21Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
22Knock Sensor
23Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit
24Idle Control System Malfunction
24ISC Valve (Stick)
24Open/Short in ISC Valve Circuit
26Intake Air Temperature Sensor
27ATF Temperature Sensor Circuit
28Knock Sensor #2
29Crankshaft Position Sensor 2
31Throttle Position Sensor Circuit
32A/F Sensor #1 System
32A/F Sensor #2 System
32Oxygen Sensor
33Vehicle Speed Sensor
35CPC System
36Turbine Speed Signal
37Rear O2 Sensor Circuit / A/F Sensor Circuit Malfunction
38Torque Control Signal #1
38Torque Control Signal #2
38Torque Control Signal System
38Torque Permission Signal
39Traction Control System
41Air/Fuel Adaptive Control
42Idle Switch
43Accelerator Pedal Switch
44Turbocharging Pressure Control Signal
45Pressure Sensor
46Neutral or Parking Switch or Circuit
47Fuel Injector
48Lean Burn System
49CO Resistor
51Neutral Position Switch
52Parking Brake Switch (Exc. Justy)
53Antenna
53Anti-Quick Operation Mode
53Communication Error (Time Over)
53EGI Control Module EEPROM
53IMM Circuit Failure (Except Antenna Circuit)
53IMM Control Module EEPROM
53Key Communication Failure
53Reference Code Incompatibility
53Use of Unregistered Key
54Air Intake System
55EGR Valve Lift Sensor
56EGR System
57Canister Control System
58Air Control System
61Air Suction Control Solenoid Valve
62Exhaust Manifold Valve Negative Pressure Control Solenoid
64Relief Valve Control Solenoid Valve 1
64Relief Valve Control Solenoid Valve 2
65Differential Pressure Sensor
66Twin Turbocharger System(H)
66Twin Turbocharger System(S)
66Twin Turbocharger System(T)
66Two Stage Twin Turbocharger System
67Exhaust Manifold Valve Positive Pressure Control Solenoid
68Turbocharging Pressure Control Output Signal #2
71Shift Solenoid Valve
72Shift Solenoid #2 Circuit
73Low Clutch Timing Solenoid Circuit
74Brake Clutch Timing Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
75Line Pressure Duty Solenoid Circuit
76Brake Clutch Pressure Duty Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
77Lock-Up Duty Solenoid Circuit
78Tiptronic Solenoid System
79Transfer Clutch Duty Solenoid Circuit
81Torque Up Control Valve
85Charger System Circuit Malfunction
86CAN (Communication System)
87Variable Induction Solenoid Valve Circuit Malfunction
88Fuel Pump Circuit Malfunction
89VVT Systems (L)
89VVT Systems ?
91TCS Relief Valve
92Electrical Generation Control Signal Circuit Malfunction
93Vehicle Speed Sensor #1 Circuit
94Lateral G Sensor Signal Circuit Malfunction

plumber

No. This seems to be a parts table accompany a diagram. The fault codes are sorry flashes counted and a long pause between codes. A bit like morse code. Eg: 7 flashes =back left abs sensor or something like that.

plumber

People Im back on. Connected the two black plugs together to read the fault code but nothing happened. I switched off the engine , connected the cables ( male-female ) together , switched on the ignition and no flash code. The ABS lamp is still lit. Also I noted that in the code readings there does not seem to be any code related to the ABS system or any of the sensors. Any body Know what I should do now? pull the fuse !

plumber

Thanks I'll check it out and let ye know how I get on. Weaving my way through her now, I'll be an expert on the classic after the winter. ?

plumber

No way. Excellent. The abs lamp is lit so I joined the two diagnosis plugs to give me a fault code but no code is showing.
Also just went through the MOT and failed on this light and Imissions. The car is fitted with an apexi power fuel commander and I know I can use it to lower the Imissions but don't know how to operate it?
Any input would be great. ☺

gilly82

Ive had a number of imprezas since owning that one.so my memory is a little sketchy.I recall having rear wheel bearing issues.I might have fitted non abs hubs to the rear and or maybe the front so your issue might be mechanical.if youve got time remove all four discs and see is there abs pick up rings on the inner hub.if one is missing then this would certainly cause the fault light to illuminate.you might have to swap hubs to abs type hubs to get it through the mot.Next emissions.That hand held commander can adjust certain things but not enough to get you through the mot nct.Its basically a fancy gauge.I know this because i went through this when i had it I tried all the usual stuff before finally biting the bullet and spending a few quid.I had to fit a full standard exhaust system with cat,borrow a good lambda sensor and get it remapped.once it passed the test i refitted the stainless decat system and had it mapped again to up power etc.This is likely what you will have to do if you want to attain a roadworthyness certificate when i returned to gat the car remapped after the test i was told my own lambda was goosed.If its still the same one most likely it is it will need replacing

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We love videos! ;)

plumber

Thanks. The guy in the test centre reckoned the exhaust system on her would pass if I got her tuned on the rolling road and if I basically stuff steel wool up the exhaust that would cure the noise. I told him a guy that worked in the nct garage in Kells use to own the car and he said he works with him that he was only in monaghan as cover and he has a scooby himself. I'm a plumber by trade and I know from seeing emissions on boilers that it is a mix of air and fuel. Less air / more fuel = higher Co. So I was going to try and use the commander to reduce the injector % as they are running at 92.7% , maybe take them back to 60% should reduce the fuel and hopefully reduce the Co but I've no way of testing the emissions.
When you got the mapping done what did they use to map her? And where do you recommend to go to get this done?
Love the video but that standard can destroys her voice .?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We also posted a pic on our FB page this morning. ?

gilly82

i saw the car on facebook.I tagged a bunch of the old owners in the post.A lot of people have spent a lot of money on that car over the years thats why it has so much spec.Im the guy from kells.The place i got the car mapped is called couture auto in dunboyne meath.sadly they sold their rolling road a while back so you will have to find somewhere closer to yourself.probably north of the border would be closest to you.full standard exhaust with catalytic converter no leaks and a good lambda sensor is what you require to pass.im pretty sure

plumber

Thanks mate. Yea seen that few of the sorry they sold it. I plan to eventually take the engine out and spray the hole engine bay and engine and replace all the brake pipework with braided hoses. Heads gone, I'm keeping her now, she is standing me ?4500 at the moment. No way you would get that back so ill just keep spending. ☺☺☺