Show us your PC Gaming Rig!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
@Boogieman98 , yes it's a decade old now! It's whatever bare bones bullshit from the era, nothing fancy. Cpu-Z shows 1100MHz as the clock speed for the CPU.

@Grinder34 , use case is heavy internet browsing, researching, and some gaming. Essentially, the same shit as my laptop, but the laptop can't play games that the desktop can. I really just want to play GTA V again. I'm actually downloading it right now, so hopefully it'll run. I was bored and had nothing to do, then I realized I could upgrade the computer for cheap, so here we are! I don't render, but I will play some games. Vanilla WoW plays at 60 FPS on ultra graphics, but it's vanilla. We'll have to find out how GTA V runs and then maybe try out Fallout 4. I don't use Chrome and haven't for quite a long time actually. I don't care for any resolution higher than 1080p and I don't think the computer can run any game that has released past 2016 or so. :lol: I've always used All CPU and GPU meter widgets.

Untitled.jpg

I'll try out the RealBench program now.

Untitled.jpg

Alright, here's the benchmark, which was really cool to see actually:

Untitled.jpg

How bad is this? I have no idea what the numbers mean.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Here was mine with 0 overclock, and probably uncured thermal paste, shitty ITX airflow (relevant specs reposted below):

Thu Dec 13 201816:12:56

Image Editing: 168093
Time: 31.6966

Encoding: 117180
Time: 45.4685

OpenCL: 21853
KSamples/sec: 4062

Heavy Multitasking: 135302
Time: 56.4068

System Score: 110607

AMD Ryzen 2600x (high-ish end)
Fatal1ty B450 ITX mobo (high-end)
Adata 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 (mid-tier)
HP EX920 M.2 NVMe 512 GB SSD (high-ish end)
AMD HD6800 (~ a decade old)

FWIW my use-case is very similar to yours. I just finished Fallout 3, and have a backlog of games stretching back to 2007 that I havent played. GPU is probably not going to be upgraded for a loooong time.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow, so then my shit sucks! :lol: No point in even bothering with attempting to overclock it. I'm installing GTA V now, so fingers crossed that it'll run decently.

How was Fallout 3? How many hours did you pour into it?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, the good news is that GTA V runs at 60 FPS at high/very high graphics on this computer! :tup: However, the GPU is 100% the entire time. I think I'll attempt to overclock a little bit!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Man, I just can't VALUE spending that much on a computer anymore. I think I spent around $750-800 for my last build in 2015. I used it for about 1.5 years and then sold it to a Nasioc user for $900. That will probably never happen ever again and was a one time fluke. :lol: $1,100 is a good daily driver or older motorcycle based on my previous research and experience, which is always my dilemma when I compare dropping over $1,000 on shit. @Eagleye and @Grinder34 , your guys' computers must be beasts to get a 4x higher rating. What's the average score for an average 2019 computer built?

Guys, how much RAM do your computer use on initial startup with no programs opened? I've been fucking around with msconfig and services to get it as low as possible. I have Windows 7 Pro x64 and I managed to get it down to 1.2GB of RAM. It was as low as 600MB with just the vanilla Windows 7, but now I'm on SP1.

I'm going to look into overclocking my GPU, CPU, and RAM right now.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
After quite some research, I can't overclock the CPU and RAM with this piece of shit MB. I did manage to overclock the GPU, though. Still testing and pushing it further along.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Stock:

Stock.jpg

Overclocked:

Overclocked.jpg

This is the difference with a +67MHz core clock increase and a +150MHz memory clock increase.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What tools, programs, etc. do you guys use to enhance your computers? Things such as faster boot times or maybe faster website loading times? I'm not aware of everything that exists, so lay whatever knowledge you have down! I've been messing with msconfig and services and I think I got it nailed down to my preferences. I don't use a large portion of the services that Windows offers, so I disabled them. Give me some ideas or point me in the right direction! :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Does anyone know how to remove the option that Windows gives me during boot up whether I want to load 7 or Vista? I just want Windows 7 to boot up automatically with no choice. (I kept Vista on the old HDD just in case I'd ever need to use it again for whatever reason.) I managed to get it down to 3 seconds, but I want to disable the choice entirely...

Untitled.jpg

Edit: Looks like I just had to delete that Vista entry. I read that it only removes the dual boot option here and it did in fact work. :tup:

What about skipping the Bios screen entirely? Is that dependent solely on the motherboard and older ones, like mine, don't have that feature?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Does anyone know how to remove the option that Windows gives me during boot up whether I want to load 7 or Vista? I just want Windows 7 to boot up automatically with no choice. (I kept Vista on the old HDD just in case I'd ever need to use it again for whatever reason.) I managed to get it down to 3 seconds, but I want to disable the choice entirely...

View attachment 7718

Edit: Looks like I just had to delete that Vista entry. I read that it only removes the dual boot option here and it did in fact work. :tup:

What about skipping the Bios screen entirely? Is that dependent solely on the motherboard and older ones, like mine, don't have that feature?
Could you move vista to a flash drive? You could boot from that in an emergency. I have linux on a flash drive for that purpose. I would think it's going to show up for you as long as it sees it on the old hdd.

Edit: didn't see your edit when I posted, glad you got it removed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So, I finally managed to find the latest driver for this Bios and got it installed. I was reminded why I despise pre-built computers... The damn drivers are all scattered throughout all the manufacturers, and the ones you can't find, are hidden elsewhere...

Unfortunately, this motherboard doesn't support any quick or fast boot options since it's too old. I suppose I've maxed out this computer's potential.

On another note, I downloaded Fallout 3! :tup:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Enjoy Fallout, you should log plenty of hours on it! I've mainly stuck to games on my ps4, but might switch into PC games when the next gen consoles come out next year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Do you guys use any desktop themes? I honestly never paid any attention to them in the past, but now I'm coming across some sick dark themes! If you guys use a custom theme, please post a picture!

I'll also post a picture once I decide on one!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What tools, programs, etc. do you guys use to enhance your computers? Things such as faster boot times or maybe faster website loading times? I'm not aware of everything that exists, so lay whatever knowledge you have down! I've been messing with msconfig and services and I think I got it nailed down to my preferences. I don't use a large portion of the services that Windows offers, so I disabled them. Give me some ideas or point me in the right direction! :tup:

I'm not a power-user by any means.

Services.msc

MSI Afterburner

Display Fusion (especially/only? for multiple monitors)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm not a power-user by any means.

Services.msc

MSI Afterburner

Display Fusion (especially/only? for multiple monitors)

Never heard of Display Fusion before! I'll have to jot that one down. I had 3 monitors in my last build, but now I'm down to one 24" monitor.

Do you use any antivirus protection? Any other programs that improve quality of life, so to speak?

The only thing that I use that comes to mind (that other people don't use) is a program called Flux. It's a blue light reduction program and I've been using it for years. I've had it installed on every phone, desktop, and laptop that I've used. For some phones, you can't get Flux, but there are other similar apps that do the exact thing. So essentially, every single screen my eyes lay on (within my control) is orange 24/7. There are those yellow tinted glasses that I'm sure you've seen before. They're supposed to reduce blue light as well, but I already wear glasses, so it doesn't work for me and I'm not going to get a subscription pair with the tint on them. :lol: I also find Flux to be the best program out of every other competitor on the market. It has an extreme range of different colors ranging all the way down to 1200k and even has a DarkRoom mode for extreme darkness, which is pretty fucking cool! :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Never heard of Display Fusion before! I'll have to jot that one down. I had 3 monitors in my last build, but now I'm down to one 24" monitor.

Do you use any antivirus protection? Any other programs that improve quality of life, so to speak?

The only thing that I use that comes to mind (that other people don't use) is a program called Flux. It's a blue light reduction program and I've been using it for years. I've had it installed on every phone, desktop, and laptop that I've used. For some phones, you can't get Flux, but there are other similar apps that do the exact thing. So essentially, every single screen my eyes lay on (within my control) is orange 24/7. There are those yellow tinted glasses that I'm sure you've seen before. They're supposed to reduce blue light as well, but I already wear glasses, so it doesn't work for me and I'm not going to get a subscription pair with the tint on them. :lol: I also find Flux to be the best program out of every other competitor on the market. It has an extreme range of different colors ranging all the way down to 1200k and even has a DarkRoom mode for extreme darkness, which is pretty fucking cool! :tup:

Forgot about flux. Mainly because my computer is now in my daughter's room so I never end up using it after sunset! It has issues with the auto-dimming and power-saving features on my laptop so I had to stop using it on that machine.

Not a program, but I highly recommend bias lighting for monitors and computers! I got some 6500k led strips for cheap on Amazon, and promptly added them to every tv in the extended family!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Forgot about flux. Mainly because my computer is now in my daughter's room so I never end up using it after sunset! It has issues with the auto-dimming and power-saving features on my laptop so I had to stop using it on that machine.

Not a program, but I highly recommend bias lighting for monitors and computers! I got some 6500k led strips for cheap on Amazon, and promptly added them to every tv in the extended family!

Is bias lighting the lighting that you see behind the screens? Can I find orange or 1000k led strips to put behind my monitor and under my bed as well?! That'd be pretty cool!