Show us your PC Gaming Rig!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Is bias lighting the lighting that you see behind the screens? Can I find orange or 1000k led strips to put behind my monitor and under my bed as well?! That'd be pretty cool!

Yep that's the one! You can get ones in any color, programmable colors, color shifting, etc. But for monitors/TV's it really reduces eye strain that you probably don't even realize exists right now. My led strips were like $10, and fancier ones with 32M colors and remotes are not to much more.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm going to do some research on the lighting. I just want simple orange lights that plug into a USB slot.

On another note, I had no clue Liam Neeson was the voice actor for your father in Fallout 3! What a surprise! :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
@Grinder34, will these do the trick?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RGB-50...m2cc4c99ac9:g:LWkAAOSwxO9cJYc~&frcectupt=true

They're 39.3" long. $7 shipped is also really cheap from what I'm seeing! I'm going to keep looking for a bit and also await your response in the meantime. Is there anything special I should know about these or is the concept really that simple?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50CM-500CM...hash=item41f6b516db:m:mKJxicCrddp52_i3o18rldg

$13 shipped for a 16 (SIXTEEN) foot long strip!??! Perfect for under the bed!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
@Grinder34, will these do the trick?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-RGB-50...m2cc4c99ac9:g:LWkAAOSwxO9cJYc~&frcectupt=true

They're 39.3" long. $7 shipped is also really cheap from what I'm seeing! I'm going to keep looking for a bit and also await your response in the meantime. Is there anything special I should know about these or is the concept really that simple?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50CM-500CM...hash=item41f6b516db:m:mKJxicCrddp52_i3o18rldg

$13 shipped for a 16 (SIXTEEN) foot long strip!??! Perfect for under the bed!

Dude, at that price just give it a whirl. I'm not an expert, just a fan.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Forgot to mention that almost two weeks ago I managed to find a great deal on the mouse I've been longing for the past year. Once again, I managed to break conventions and I actually found the seller on Craigslist. He was the ONLY person on the entirety of Craigslist that had the mouse. He was located in Denver, CO. He thought I was a scammer at first, but I managed to persuade him to ship. Everything went smoothly! I absolutely love this mouse as much as I thought I would and I believe it to be the epitome of its kind. They cost $100 brand new and I paid $50 shipped for mine. It also came with a hard shelled travel case. It was the best deal that I have seen, so I knew it was mine. It's the Logitech MX Ergo Trackball. I've been using trackballs for years and have been eyeing this one since it released. Well, now I finally have it! I'm sure you guys are aware of these types of experiences where you finally get a product in your hands and realize that it is truly worth its MSRP. This is one of those experiences for me. If you're a trackball user, this mouse is worth the full $100! It has a rechargeable battery and a single charge supposedly lasts for about 4 months. The unique feature that this mouse has is the 20 degree magnetic tilting base!

00101_cRKD0tQJ62Z_1200x900.jpg

b629cc9bed891e7268560ad3aa401805_XL.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Just some updates:

So, after two months with the red LED light strip, I haven't discovered any differences as opposed to being without it. It's turned on every time my monitor is on. This could be because I've been using Flux for years. Since I have a blue light filter on nearly every device (can't get them on gaming consoles yet...), I just may not be affected. However, when I do see a screen that isn't filtered, it seems excessively and unnecessarily bright. I don't think I can ever go back to life before Flux. (I use the term Flux since it's the main program I use, but I'm referring to blue light filters in general.)

So, after two months with the MX Ergo, I don't think I can ever go back to using a flat mouse ever again... The 20 degree incline makes such an insane difference. I recall it taking me about a week to get used to angle at first. Now, If I am to switch it back to the flat mode, it feels extremely off. It may be that you have to test the mouse out for yourself as words most likely can't justify the experience. Also, If you do want to buy this mouse, don't pay retail (even though it's well worth it). You can find them slightly used on eBay for $50-60.

Have you guys purchased anything new regarding computers lately? Any new fads or things of interest that I should look into?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I wanna get a curved widescreen monitor 32" or 34" No 1080 crap, 1440+ or bust. Never used a monitor with variable refresh rates and all that jazz, I think it would be pretty cool.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I wanna get a curved widescreen monitor 32" or 34" No 1080 crap, 1440+ or bust. Never used a monitor with variable refresh rates and all that jazz, I think it would be pretty cool.

I was curious about them as well, so I looked into it... for 5 minutes until I saw the prices. :lol: I'll try to find a great deal on Craigslist if I can.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah I didn't say I wanted to pay for it...

Btw I'm not addicted to Craigslist and Slickdeals

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] , have you found a curved monitor yet?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
@Grinder34 , have you found a curved monitor yet?

I finally got to use a 34" widescreen Dell at work last week when I was visiting another office. Man, they're great! It's a little more vertical space than my 2x 24" and maybe a little less horizontal. I think I can make two "fake" monitors with display fusion for my home PC. And with the work PC I think the snap-to-side will work well enough. But I'm waiting for black friday! I already cleared it with the wife.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow, I completely forgot about Black Friday... I was recently looking on Craigslist and found some $150-200 curved monitors, but unfortunately, the sellers wouldn't budge on their prices.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Wow, I completely forgot about Black Friday... I was recently looking on Craigslist and found some $150-200 curved monitors, but unfortunately, the sellers wouldn't budge on their prices.

I'm not sure I'd ever do a CL monitor. Dead/stuck pixels are a real thing and would drive me nuts. I need (want?) a return policy!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm not sure I'd ever do a CL monitor. Dead/stuck pixels are a real thing and would drive me nuts. I need (want?) a return policy!

I just don't value a monitor being more than like $50. I was trying to get one for $40 and another for $50. :D I can deal with dead pixels.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What browser do you guys use???

I recently switched from Chrome to Firefox because I don't like how much Google knows about me.

With firefox, I installed the following add-ons (in the order they appear on my add-ons page):
Disconnect
Facebook Container
HTTPS everywhere
I don't care about cookies
Keepa
Link Cleaner
Privacy Badger
Redirect AMP to HTML
Skip Redirect
Temporary Containers

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I haven't used Chrome in a very, very long time. (2013-2014?) I switched to Firefox at some point and then again to Opera. Opera got redone however many months ago with major privacy improvements. The browser I've been using for the last 18+ months has been Brave. (Phone and all computers.) As with everything, you have to do your own research and due diligence. All I'm doing is making you aware of its existence if you don't already know.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Doesn't look like I updated. I sold my HP Spectre back in May of this year. I've been solely using the desktop from 2009 since with no hiccups, which is a pleasant surprise. The MX Ergo mouse is the best mouse I have ever used and right now, I can't imagine experiencing a better mouse. I suppose that we'll find out with time what other inventions come out. The reason I remembered about this thread is because I'm going to go check out a gaming laptop in a couple of hours and hopefully purchase it. I've done some research on it the past two days and for the price I'm going to pay, it seems like a really great deal (or a steal).

Fingers crossed that I have pictures and specifications to share. :tup:
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] , did you ever find a curved monitor? Black Friday has passed by. :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Alright, I'm extremely pleased to announce that I'm now a proud owner of a MSI GS70 2PE Stealth Pro! :tup:

1024.png

This laptop is fully loaded. Here are all of the specifications:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS70-2PE-Stealth-Pro/Specification

The only issue is that the battery is shot and won't charge at all, so I have to leave it plugged in at all times. I don't mind doing so, especially since I got it for $200. They're selling for $450-500 on eBay, so hell of a deal indeed. I've been going through it for the past two hours and I think I'm almost done transferring my files and settings from the desktop to this. It's already on Windows 10, so I also had to go through all the retarded and useless services and disable them. I have a couple more programs to install and I should be ready to go. :tup:

Edit: I'm finished setting up the laptop and tailoring it to my needs. Extremely happy with it! It's literally just about on par with the desktop I built back in November of 2015! :bow: