Thanks Thanks:  24
Likes Likes:  33
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Show us your PC Gaming Rig!

1. Top Of Page | #61
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Show us your PC Gaming Rig!

PSA for all people who care about dark themes and modes! I came across the BEST EVER dark mode application. It's actually an extension and it can be used on any website. The developer says that their algorithm will create the best dark mode contrast and I can definitely attest to their claim from my own personal experience. I came across it today and it changed my browsing experience completely. I'm a dark mode maximalist and I can't imagine anything topping this extension. They also care heavily about privacy, so that's another big plus! It's called Night Eye.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...eiknmkdi?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

2. Top Of Page | #62

User Info Menu

I never got a curved monitor. I was hoping my work would buy me one, but knew that I wouldn't get a chance to ask until this week. Turns out, no, they will NOT be buying me one. They'll pay for a last minute first-class international ticket, but wont doll out a few hundred for a monitor.

So I'm still on the hunt. Maybe some good post-Christmas deals? Also, I'll probably need to get a new video card to power the new monitor! I have a buddy who works for nVidia, maybe he gets a good discount? Haven't talked to him in a while though!

Check out my journal here (Sold)
    My non-subaru journal here!

3. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #63

User Info Menu

It's post-Christmas, @Grinder34 ! Have you found any deals?!

Did anyone upgrade any computer components recently?

It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

5. Top Of Page | #64

User Info Menu

Ugggggggh, no. I've been looking!

6. Top Of Page | #65

User Info Menu

Ok FINALLY got one (two). Read on for why.

First, I got a Viewsonic VP3881. 38" 3840x1600. Basically two 24" 1920x1600 next to eachother. It's "only" 60Hz...every monitor I've ever had is only 60 Hz! I've been looking for a 34"+ screen, and this came up on amazon as a refurb for $450 (MSRP ~$1000)

It's great! I have it hooked up to both my work computer and my home/gaming computer. But I noticed that with my work computer it was awful. I thought that my work laptop just couldn't cut it at that high a res. But i decided to investigate since it drove the 2x 1920x1600 ok. Ok, so the weird thing is that both my laptop and home pc only have HDMI 1.4 which *can* do 3840x1600 but only at 30Hz. HOLY SHIT. IT'S TERRIBLE. It's MISERABLE. The both have a Displayport 1.4 which can do full res @ 60Hz, but the monitor only has one input.

But that got me thinking...i've heard a lot about 100Hz+ gaming and how great it is. So today an AOC 34" (link) came back in stock. It's not 38" (which means something like 20% less area!!!), and it's only 1440px high...but it's 144Hz! If 30Hz-60Hz made that much of a difference, is 144Hz going to blow my mind? How will i feel about fewer pixels and smaller? Well, I'll let you know when it arrives!

7. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  8. Top Of Page | #66

User Info Menu

I have no experience aside from standard, plebian, setups! So, I for one, am extremely interested in your feedback and reviews!!

9. Top Of Page | #67

User Info Menu

Just ordered a third....

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-34-Inch-.../dp/B07BNPMZKX

Both are backordered to some extent, so I have time to decide between them

10. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #68

User Info Menu

You've got me looking at used curved monitors on Craigslist and there are now more than I've ever seen before. Maybe I'll be getting lucky with a deal too!

This seems like the most likely bet right now, though.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...?skuId=5044701

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele...092409843.html

12. Top Of Page | #69

User Info Menu

Ok so returning the 38" due to 1 bad pixel and wanting to try out 34" of 144hz goodness. Of course to get 144hz, adaptive sync, etc... i need a new GPU. So i ordered a warehouse deal AMD 5700 and a 5700XT (I'll return one).

But its crazy that those are like not-so-great cards and they're friggin $300! And then the monitor was $450. Now granted the monitor is something I'm using 8+ hours a day, so having something I like makes a big difference. But $750 on "display stuff" vs the entire rest of the build:

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    Silverstone Sugo SG13 case - $44
    AMD Ryzen 2600x - $170
    Fatal1ty B450 ITX mobo - $89 (after MIR)
    ADATA 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000 - $88
    HP EX920 M.2 NVMe 512 GB SSD - $80
    Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550PX 550W 80+ Platinum $80 (after MIR)
    Arctic A12 case fan - $9
    Noctua NF-A9x14 for CPU cooling - $16

So: $576
    Am I crazy?

13. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #70

User Info Menu

Well, it is a top notch display setup. Compare that to something along the lines of an old GPU (such as a GTX 650) and an old 1080p 60Hz 24" monitor. I imagine those two in combination used would go for $100 or less on Craigslist.

We'll know if it's worth it when you give us impressions and reviews!

It could be the same thing as a $5 tie vs. a $250 tie. You wouldn't understand the difference until you experienced both. Then, you could never go back to the inferior product.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567