How To Install Perrin Reverse Lockout Lever

TK-421

Welcome to another How To by TK-421.

Today we are installing a Perrin Reverse Lockout Lever.

Now your probably saying to yourself, why do I want this thing?

Well over time the stock plastic piece wears out and starts to rattle like crazy. A replacement one from Subaru will cost you just as much money as this one will.

The Perrin piece is made from machined aluminium and seems like a pretty solid piece.

It also removes a couple of your stock components from the car as well, like that black plastic piece that the shift boot wraps around, and the spring from the lockout, and most of all the roll pin and the headache that comes with that.

I recommend doing this install when you are installing a aftermarket short throw shifter, because some of the procedures that are involved with this install are used when installing a shifter as well as some of the tools.

On a side note, the Perrin Reverse Lockout will NOT work with some aftermarket short throw shifters such as a Kartboy or Agency Power. It will work with a Cobb Double Adjustable Short Throw and the Stock Shifter.

Now lets go over the parts.

The Perrin Reverse Lockout. Part Number PSP-INR-250BK

Now the tools your going to need are:

A flat punch

A Ball Peen Hammer

Right angle phillips screwdriver or 1/4 ratchet with 1/4 socket and phillips bit

Two 12mm Wrenches

A Pair of side cutters

A small screwdriver

A Floor Jack and Safety Stands

Step 1 Jack up your car, refer to this on how to safely and properly jack your car up http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php/8731-Jacking-your-car-up-for-beginners

Now that you have your car jacked up, get under the car and take your small screwdriver and put it in the location of the reverse lockout arm under the car where the cable runs to, to lock it in place.

Now you can go up into the car, start by twisting off your shift knob

Next your going to remove the center console, shifter console, and unbolt the shifter from the shift linkage.

Please refer to this instructional on how to accomplish all of this http://igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php/8840-How-to-Install-Shifter-Assembly-with-Pictures

Once you have unbolted the shifter from the linkage, unscrew the two screws that hold the black plastic shift boot retainer to the shifter. Set that aside as you will not be installing that back on the shifter.

To accomplish this, take your angle screwdriver or 1/4 drive socket with phillips bit and unscrew the fasteners underneath. Its a bit tricky and can be a total PITA, but its doable.

Here's the good news, you don't need to install those two screws on the perrin piece.

The energy suspension lubricant that comes with the Perrin piece is in my opinion too thick and actually makes the mechanism difficult to use, so I recommend using Silicone Paste instead.

Take some of the silicone paste and put it on the inside of the perrin lockout.

Install the perrin lock out onto the shifter, now take the small machined screw and supplied allen wrench and install in place of the roll pin. I wish the STi came from the factory this way, good god this made things so much easier it wasnt even funny.....

Once its through the Lockout cable it threads into place and is held there, sooooooooo much nicer that wrestling with that damn roll pin.

Once you have installed the Perrin piece, get under the car and remove your screwdriver, and let the car off the safety stands.

Turn the key to the "ON" position and check all the gears, and reverse as well, check to see that your reverse lights come on.

Once that is done, reinstall the shifter to the linkage and all the center console pieces.

Install your shift knob and take it for a test drive.

You'll notice that there is no more annoying cable rattle or plastic pieces that rattle.

In conclusion, would I buy this piece? Depends, if your stock reverse lockout is worn out and rattles, yes I would buy this as a replacement piece. Or if your reverse lockout cable rattles inside your shifter I would get this piece.

It also give a cleaner smoother looking appearance to the shift boot area, as it is one piece construction.

Its a great quality piece. Is it worth the expense and trouble to install? Not unless your need to replace your stock piece in my own opinion.

Other than that the other point i would see in having it is the ease of removal and installation. That machined screw is far superior to that roll pin that used in the factory piece.

You be the judge for yourself should you choose to install it.

But if anyone was interested in how it is installed or the process to see if its something they want to venture into, here you go as this was a requested install.

Happy Modding to you all!

TK-421

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Another fabulous write up.

Thank you [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION].

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We're so blessed to have you here [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION].

:ty:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Wouldn't be any other place, glad to give back to a great group of guys and gals

It really means a lot to us to have information done by a professional.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well it means a lot to me to be appreciated the way I am by every single one of you on here. It's definitely a first for me!

Really?

TK-421

Oh yeah man! I used to have friends that took advantage of me, my tools and my skills all the time. Till I got older and said the hell with you people. Now I'm pretty much starting from scratch and hoping for some decent friends in my life for once.

I'm all for helping people, but don't take it for granted that's all I ask of anyone

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well we don't and if we can help you anyway we can please let us know.

You may have saved me from having a painful day lol, from reading both write ups. It would seem replacing the lock out in general would be a smart thing to do if your gonna rip it all apart anyways for like a short shifter.
Many thanks! Pictures help a ton :) I remember ripping that apart for the 11 STi, familiar times.

TK-421

You may have saved me from having a painful day lol, from reading both write ups. It would seem replacing the lock out in general would be a smart thing to do if your gonna rip it all apart anyways for like a short shifter.
Many thanks! Pictures help a ton :) I remember ripping that apart for the 11 STi, familiar times.

Your welcome, I try to be as detailed as I can be with my write up's. Many more to come this spring and summer and ill be using [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4365]gbae_sti[/MENTION] cars for some of them.