Zoom Zoom Boom

Totally feeling bad for the BF right now. He got the dreaded vent to block mod last night on his lil 13' mazdaspeed3. It's no subie but he liked it and just spent a nice lil chuck on it trying to avoid this as best as possible, but to no avail. Going to try and talk him into fixing it back to stock, selling off the aftermarket parts for what he can and trading out into a subie.

Rip mazdaspeed3

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Just looked it up since i have no knowledge on ms3. That sucks. Sorry to hear about this. Good luck and hopefully you can encourage him to get a subie!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Oh that sucks. :(

Just looked it up since i have no knowledge on ms3. That sucks. Sorry to hear about this. Good luck and hopefully you can encourage him to get a subie!
Right. Totally sucks. Hell he was still in the middle of getting the car tuned correctly working with Justin from Freektune on getting his etune completed.

I'm so thankful Boxer4Racing is in my back yard practically, for when I'm ready to build mine more. I dunno how I feel about that etune stuff.

Oh that sucks. :(
Yes it does! Major! He still paying on this car unfortunately. Sucks paying for a giant paper weight.

But I got some connections I'm going to hit up to see if they have access to mazda related things as well as subaru to see what we can come up with for Abigail (the mazdaspeed3 ) lol. I'm just waiting on him to decide what he wants to do with her first.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
If etunes are done right there great.

If etunes are done right there great.
That's what I hear, I just dunno. This is second one of these particular cars I've seen die using etune, and by the same guy. He is highly recommended in the mazda community and has a nasty ms3 himself. Maybe it's not the tunes but this platform is just so sensitive to mods. Is my understanding the tune fella is on his 3 rebuild from popping them to get his to where it is.

Oh the joys of car building lol

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yikes! That's not what we wanna hear about a tuner.

Yikes! That's not what we wanna hear about a tuner.
Well I'm not going to say is all the tunes fault. The tuner was waiting on some more data logs from the bf. Just hadnt had time to get to it just yet with holidays and preperations coming up. But these mazdaspeed3s are super finicky :-( I just wished he had bought something I knew more about and had more experience and knowledge with or a near by professionals help to call upon or utilize when I didn't understand something like Dale at Boxer4Racing. Now that man is a subie building guru!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
As an e-tuner myself I can say it is really difficult to know the condition or stresses a car is experiencing because I am not there to feel it. We have to rely on the log data and feedback from the end user. That said a good e-tuner will always start with safe parameters and work their way up to power. Some have the ability to see the danger before it happens and others just have enough knowledge to squeak by, but I can easily say that about any tuner.

I am terrified at the prospect of popping someones motor while tuning which is why I will only tune for drivability and safety first. Power is always a second concern for me.

Just do your research and you should be OK.

As an e-tuner myself I can say it is really difficult to know the condition or stresses a car is experiencing because I am not there to feel it. We have to rely on the log data and feedback from the end user. That said a good e-tuner will always start with safe parameters and work their way up to power. Some have the ability to see the danger before it happens and others just have enough knowledge to squeak by, but I can easily say that about any tuner.

I am terrified at the prospect of popping someones motor while tuning which is why I will only tune for drivability and safety first. Power is always a second concern for me.

Just do your research and you should be OK.
Oh yea we were only on the 2nd revision and not reached the final tune yet. he originally sent us a very basic "just get the car to run" tune to start with and we've been working our way up from there.

I'm not saying it's his fault at all I just know a guy in town here with same car used same tuner and he blew his up to.

There are so many unseen variables that could have caused either car to go. I'm just old fashioned when it comes to the idea of tuning on a car. Just prefer my tuner to be there in person :)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Oh yea we were only on the 2nd revision and not reached the final tune yet. he originally sent us a very basic "just get the car to run" tune to start with and we've been working our way up from there.

I'm not saying it's his fault at all I just know a guy in town here with same car used same tuner and he blew his up to.

There are so many unseen variables that could have caused either car to go. I'm just old fashioned when it comes to the idea of tuning on a car. Just prefer my tuner to be there in person :)

Your like me... I want to see everything and watch everything. You are good to be weary of e-tunes because so many claim to be good at what they do and they are not. Most just want your money. I have come across quite a few shotty pro-tunes in my day also. It's so hard to find a house that really knows their shit and I am even seeing some of the well known shops pump out crap.

Well we have a theroy figured out on what happened.... long story short freak accident and no guardian angel. It blew the hose off of the turbo going to the 3 port electronic boost controller. So the computer didn't read anything from the turbo which made the computer tell the turbo to spool more. Which means it shot 32 psi to a motor only adding fuel and expecting 18psi, and he didn't have the guardian angel part of his set up that is a safety and preventative part for these cars so end result is leaning out way way to much and huge hole in the side of the block. :-( boooooo!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Oh man that sucks! Our condolences! Same thing happened to me quite some time ago. Needless to say I now zip tie every hose I can see

Have you convinced him to get a Suby yet :lol:

Oh man that sucks! Our condolences! Same thing happened to me quite some time ago. Needless to say I now zip tie every hose I can see

Have you convinced him to get a Suby yet :lol:
You know this isn't the first I'm hearing of this zip tie hose thing... What's up with it? The hose had a hose clamp on it and it still come off.

Do zip ties have a magic I don't know about after all my years being into cars?

Help a sister understand! Lol

And no not just yet. I'm still not certain what he wants to do.

I used zip ties on my 3 port boost controller as it seems to give a more even clamping surface around the small hose than the screw type hose clamp

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'm actually going to be replacing all zip tied things with hose clamps. Zip ties become brittle over time and snap off.