Why the Subaru WRX STI gets bad gas mileage and why no one cares.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Let [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] tune you and youll be going home with 30mpg! :lol:
At 3MPH. :rofl:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Wtf. Bad tune or bad driving! :lol: (stop boosting!)

Before i was tuned here, i was getting 220 miles a tank. Thats like 14 something. Horrendous tune!
Dude, I'm at a 1/4 tank right now at 168 miles.

COLD temperatures and lots of...

...BOOOOOSSSTTTIIINNNNGGGG!!!! :subaru:

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
But you also have a tune thats 2-3 years old. On top of that, was your car tuned for power or safety back then?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hmm. [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] how often do you recommend a tune, maybe more of a check up, on these cars over time? I mean even if nothing mechanically is alterred, these crazy climates must have some impact over time.

TK-421

[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] A tune? Not all that often unless parts are changed. A once in a while datalog and regular intervals of scheduled maintenance? Yeah follow that stuff by the book. Don't skimp on quality parts either!

My general consensus about it is this. Follow the maintenance tables and procedures step by step, part for part and take a good indepth datalog about 2 or 3 times a year if you haven't changed your set up drastically. And quality parts just can't stress that enough these days. Yes such and such part MAYBE 2 times cheaper out of pocket, but how long is it going to last? For instance I have a friend who did a timing belt and water pump service, bought quality parts, but failed to follow recommended procedures such as removing the Cam Gears and replacing the cam and crank seals. Now his right side exhaust cam seal leaks like pregnant woman giving birth. Had he replaced those seals he wouldn't be leaking about a half a quart every 3 days.

So remember these three things, 1 Quality Parts, 2 follow the recommended procedures step for step, 3 anywhere from 1 to 3 datalogs a year to check the health of the engine and optimization of your tune.

I would think the higher the mpg would be a leaner tune and I would rather an engine that can take a beating and get 20 mpg than an engine that gets 30 mpg and I have to drive like a tree hugger so I don't kill it

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Tune is dialed in by [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] . It makes power, it gets great mpg, and i take tremendous care of her! [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION]

Oh I like his tunes well and he offered to tweak for better mpg's but since this is my second motor I am leary about lean tunes and knock.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What do you mean exactly when you say leaner tune? Cruising afr, wot afr, or what?

TK-421

Going rich can also be damaging by washing out the cylinder walls, leaning out the engine in a certain RPM and Load range can be beneficial instead of running pig all the way thru the rpm band. I've seen George's tunes first hand and the way he cleans it up and pulls fuel in certain areas is spot on

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'm certainly not running too rich. I am however, driving it like I stole it.

After all, it is an STi...I don't just pick up groceries with it. :lol:

I am always leary about getting bad gas. So my thinking which could be flawed since I don't know tuning is that if I tune for 93 and go for mpg and then let's say I fill up on some bad gas I drive like normal which for me is how batmobile does then I feel like I'm running a chance of damaging the motor. I would rather sacrifice a few mpg's for worry free fill ups. Again coming from a newbie

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Going rich can also be damaging by washing out the cylinder walls, leaning out the engine in a certain RPM and Load range can be beneficial instead of running pig all the way thru the rpm band. I've seen George's tunes first hand and the way he cleans it up and pulls fuel in certain areas is spot on

Oh thank you kindly sir! :D

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I am always leary about getting bad gas. So my thinking which could be flawed since I don't know tuning is that if I tune for 93 and go for mpg and then let's say I fill up on some bad gas I drive like normal which for me is how batmobile does then I feel like I'm running a chance of damaging the motor. I would rather sacrifice a few mpg's for worry free fill ups. Again coming from a newbie

I'm tuning Boogieman's car right now and I think we might have this situation now. I'm leaning toward bad gas because his E85 tune has no knock. The thing that is making me second guess myself is that no matter what timing I remove, the knock is still there. We haven't really started troubleshooting it yet but I am hoping it is just bad gas.

TK-421

I'm tuning Boogieman's car right now and I think we might have this situation now. I'm leaning toward bad gas because his E85 tune has no knock. The thing that is making me second guess myself is that no matter what timing I remove, the knock is still there. We haven't really started troubleshooting it yet but I am hoping it is just bad gas.

How much timing are you pulling and what rpm and load range?

You and me both! What else could it be?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You and me both! What else could it be?

It could be a loose bracket, or a noisy clutch, or re-torque the knock sensor and TK421 pointed out to me that the secondary air system can introduce noise as well. Did you change your plug prior to the tune? Some colder plugs might help this and they should be gapped to .028

I just want to rule out bad gas before anything else.

He said he would take a look at it and it couldn't hurt to have two minds on it.

I've changed nothing. I already have one step colder plugs that I had AWDTUNING put in. I have 1/4 tank left of 93 and could change over to E-85 just to see if it is knocking now. Secondary air system what is that?