Why the Subaru WRX STI gets bad gas mileage and why no one cares.

Dave

My commute is 78 miles round trip 30 steep curvy mountains and I love every second of it. Well worth the price.

bumm

Im 20 miles round trip of flat lands. But still love it. Best car by far i have ever owned. Mines tuned by IAG. Cleo does great work. 302 at wheels with stock turbo to me is impressive. Not bad if keep foot out of it but that is nearly impossible

Dave

I am getting 290 on a mustang dyno but of course my car is only a 2 liter and I have 196k on it

bumm

That sounds good. I got 297ft lbs. They said that my Tomei el header made substantial difference. They were suprised to hit that. Im going to step too Bloush dom 3 with the 10cm so comes in bit later. That should help my around town driving. Told me im looking at about 390 at wheels at 20 psi on stock motor. Think will be happy with that. Turbo is rated for around 490 horse so will not be maxed when build up motor.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
How much timing are you pulling and what rpm and load range?

The load range is around the 2.31 to 2.73 cells. The RPM range is from around 5300 rpm to red line. The knock starts pulling -1.4 and progresses to as much as -4 to -6 at red line. This condition has gotten worse over time and I have pulled timing and richened fuel. Same area every time. Adjustment don't make a difference.

Here is the timing I'm using...

Primary map
PrimAdv.JPG

PrimeAdvGraph.JPG

Dynamic advance
DynAdv.JPG