02 Frankensubie Monstrosity

SudoSTI

Hey all, long time listener, first time caller. First ever build thread so we'll see how this goes.

I picked up my 02 WRX with a known blown trans with the intention of doing the barebones 6-speed swap (06+ trans, shift linkage, STI driveshaft, 04 STI axle stubbies and seals so I could keep everything else WRX). I took a gamble and bought it off a guy on NASTICOC down in Riverside, CA and had it delivered sight unseen aside from pictures. Here it is the night it was delivered.

The next day I checked it out in the daylight:

Here are my girls testing out the JDM V7 seats:

Mod list from when I bought it (if I remember it all):
-Hybrid Crawford S1 short block with P&P 2.0 heads w/ Kelford 272 cams
-VF22
-TurboXS TMIC
-AEM intake
-Grimmspeed EBCS
-Walbro 255
-KOYO Rad
-Custom Cali license plate heat shield :lol:
-Samco hoses
-Gimmick inlet and aftamaf
-Cusco strut bars and main under body brace (H-brace?)
-Aftermarket sways painted lavender :roll:
-STI Pink rear trailing arms
-STI side skirts
-04 STI/04-07 WRX rear bumper swap
-04/05 tails
-JDM STI hood scoop and splitter
-Prodrive front lip
-COBB turbo back with a gutted cat
-JDM 4-pot front brakes
-Probably some other bits I'm forgetting

Managed to snag a crazy good deal on an 08 STI trans and rear diff with only 30k miles on them. And they both fit into the trunk of my wife's 2013 Impreza Sport hatch. :lol:

Couldn't resist picking up this sweet bit of JDM-ey goodness off my buddy's old SEMA Subaru project.

Well I just couldn't leave well enough alone and things got a bit out of hand and now this is what I have planned for it:
-Borg Warner S256 SS rotated turbo
-AD Engineering (local fab guy) rotated kit
-TiAL MVS EWG
-Vibrant Performance FMIC core
-AD Engineering custom FMIC piping for reverse intake manifold
-TiAL Q BOV
-AD Engineering 3" SD intake
-FIC 1650cc injectors
-Walbro 400 E85 fuel pump
-ACT HDSS clutch w/ OEM STI flywheel
-05 STI spindles/Brembos
-05-07 Cusco Zero-2E coils (picking up from a buddy when I get the cash)
-Spec C TGV-less intake manifold
-HolyCrapItsFast SD E-tune because he's up to the challenge :lol:

May have forgotten a few details but that's the brunt of it. I have already picked up a few of the pieces.

ID 1000s vs old Deatschwerks 750s before I decided to switch to E85 requiring bigger injectors:

AMS catback. This sumbitch took months to find:

Spec C manifold :tard::

Saikou Michi dual catch can:

Brembos/spindles, A'PEXi EBCS, and super sweet custom clock mount laptop holder I got from STI 2NR (thanks Sean :))

06/07 door cards I got for only $40:

Borg Warner S256 w/ AGP SS turbine housing:

Some Motegi M116 18x9 +35 wheels I traded for because they were better than the Rotas that were on it. The tires are stretched so I need to get some with more MEAT:

Being stripped:

I think that's about it for now. I have to work the build around work, school, and family so not sure how quickly this thread will get updated. I hope you enjoy!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Subscribed. ?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sweet!

SudoSTI

Shooting to have my manifold back on and reversed this weekend. KSTech has amazing customer service BTW! Highly recommended!

SudoSTI

Managed to get the old drivetrain out yesterday:

Managed to do it without a tranny jack. I won't make that mistake again when I put the hog of a 6-speed in haha. Also found this on the trans drain plug. I haven't even checked out the drain pan to see what goodies I find.

Rewarded myself for pulling the trans, driveshaft, and rear diff in under two hours by myself with a few of these:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Good job man! This things gonna be great when you get done with it! I wish i had a garage where I could lobotomize and rebuild vehicles!

SudoSTI

I'm a bit of a beer snob. I tend to shy away from anything you can shine a light through haha.

It's actually in my driveway. I made sure to buy a house with AT LEAST a two car garage. Only problem being that it looked a lot larger without a car in it haha. It'll fit two cars with some room on the sides but not a project car and a DD. Plus all my new and old parts are taking up an entire shelving unit and are starting to fill up the floor space in front of it. The house is getting kid of small for me, the wife, and three kiddos so I'm sure I'll need something bigger in a year or three. Then I'll be sure to get at least and oversized three car garage with property space for an additional shop!

*Also noticed the injector picture is of the old DWs compared to the ID1000s I had before I decided to go E85. But after conversing with HolyCrapItsFast I'll be selling the FIC 2150s I currently have to opt for the new FIC 1650s that are designed for E85 and other oxygenated fuels. :D *

SudoSTI

ACT HDSS clutch got here today. Props to Geoff at Cygnus Performance. Highly recommend hitting him up!

SudoSTI

This has zero to do with my car as I'm waiting for the rest of my drivetrain bits to get here this week, but good LAWUHD this is good. Old Ruffian Barley Wine Ale. Great Divide is without question my favorite brewery.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I've never heard of it. Do they sell nationwide? Oh and BTW, This is certainly car related as there should be a bottle of ale in every tool box. I know there is one in mine all the time. :tup: It should accompany every build and should be part of every "How To" step. :tup:

Step one... turn nut "A" and take a sip.

Step two... Fasten belt to sprocket and take a sip.

Step three... Fabricate part "B" and take a sip.

Step four... turn bolt "C", or is it "D"... I don't remember, Take a sip.

Step five... Tack a zip.

step 6ix... throw wRenCh akrOss tha shOp, TaKe a siP

step 8... oh shit Ve foR@got 7... @#%&(%& okay step 7... Attach 240 volt lead. DRINK

step 9... tjafl fkkgfm ljgsdgjoomb... GUZZLE

step 10... kick the dog and DRINK some more (oh shit... FIRE)

step 11... Put out the fire and stand back in amazement at your creation. Congratulations... you've just invented a cold fusion reactor that runs on hopes and dreams and provides thousands with clean energy for years to come. Your creation puts an end to Toyota Prius's world wide and is responsible for future world peace. Who says drinking is the social pariah. :D

SudoSTI

Lol!! I know I have had more than one project end up the same way. I'm not sure if they sell nation wide but they're out of Denver and I'm all the way up in WA so I would assume they have pretty far reaching sales. I have to get it at a specialty wine and spirits shop though. None of the grocery stores or gas stations carry it. It costs $goldbars compared to other beers but it is definitely worth the cost in flavor. I think the only other brewery I see on the regular that costs as much is Dogfish Head who is also amazing.

SudoSTI

Whelp, apparently one or more of my neighbors aren't particularly fond of my car being on jack stands so per the city ordinance I have to have it operable or in my garage within two weeks. That or pay $500 a day until it's taken care of. So I'll be figuring out a way to get it up and running sooner than planned. I'll have the drivetrain and suspension complete by the end of the two weeks so I can push it in my garage so people stop bitching, then mid April I'll tow it over to the Horsepower Barn and get my turbo kit built and FMIC and piping fabbed! Looks like I'll be running some time in May!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Whelp, apparently one or more of my neighbors aren't particularly fond of my car being on jack stands so per the city ordinance I have to have it operable or in my garage within two weeks. That or pay $500 a day until it's taken care of. So I'll be figuring out a way to get it up and running sooner than planned. I'll have the drivetrain and suspension complete by the end of the two weeks so I can push it in my garage so people stop bitching, then mid April I'll tow it over to the Horsepower Barn and get my turbo kit built and FMIC and piping fabbed! Looks like I'll be running some time in May!

The lawyer in me speaking (i'm not a lawyer, but because of my love of loopholes, have often told I should be one):
Get the car in the garage 1x every two weeks. I bet the clock resets every time. Just one night a week, get it rolled in there and take a picture with time/date and the next morning, roll it back out. ta-da!