2015 STi Intakes - All their no tune required claims

Couple threads talked about this but I would like it all in once place for debate. Has anyone found any logs to prove any of these? Before and after in stock form? Cobb is the only ones saying a tune is required, but who knows what Cobb has in store for the redesigned intake for 15 coming soon hopefully. Also would be nice to see ETS have a STi version as well.
*edited added Cobb as well for all intakes listed / used another site for injen, not a great site to navigate.

Mishimoto - CAI - "works perfectly with the stock tune"
20+ whp and 18 wtq
http://www.mishimoto.com/subaru-wrx-sti-performance-cold-air-intake-15.html

AEM - CAI - "Safe on the stock tune" (has airflow straightener/confirmed)
Gains of 32 hp and 31 ft-lbs of torque.
http://www.aemintakes.com/search/product.aspx?prod=21-735WB

Injen - EVO - ?
Gains are +26HP and +35.5 ft/lbs of torque.
http://www.injen.com/EVO_intakes.html
http://www.subispeed.com/injen-evo-cold-air-intake-system-2015-sti#.VN1kRPnF_ao

Injen - CAI - "The Injen SP Series Intake Systems Feature the Patent Pending MR Technology Process for Optimal Gains and a safe A/F ratio."
gains of 23.4 Horsepower and 24 ft-lbs of torque.
http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-sti/intake/perrin-cold-air-intake-system-2015-sti#.VN1jRfnF_ao

Perrin - CAI - "PERRIN Performance intake systems use proper MAF alignment and plumbing size, both of which are crucial to maintain proper air fuel ratios"
Add 15-30 WHP/WTQ
http://perrinperformance.com/i-16502539-cold-air-intake-system-for-2008-14-wrx-2008-15-sti.html

Cobb SF Intake w/box - SRI - Tune Required
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-SF-Intake-SF-Airbox-2015-STI-p/715315.htm

sacnvz

Good thread! I was actually just looking at intakes. I'm currently leaning towards the AEM but with a protune with a Cobb AP. I honestly wouldn't trust any intake without a tune. Which one have you considered?

Good thread! I was actually just looking at intakes. I'm currently leaning towards the AEM but with a protune with a Cobb AP. I honestly wouldn't trust any intake without a tune. Which one have you considered?

I've only experienced using Cobb's SF Intake, it does not disappoint and works very well tuned.

I just would like to see a log proof that these other intakes work properly on a stock tune/stock car, before and after results for learning purposes here. Just want to see if the stock ECU actually compensates enough, as bad as the stock tune already is lols. Can someone point me in the direction for a data logging cable or a Bluetooth one since my older ELM 357 one doesn't read knock, or even let me borrow one for awhile lols. I would like to pull a trigger on a intake to test it out.

I'm leaning on Misimoto's or AEM's. Honestly never really seen a STi with a CAI before, only just the SRI's. I had a AEM V2 CAI on my car prior and it worked like a charm and liked the quality.
I really want to see the redesigned Cobb intake though, they are sure taking their sweet time releasing it.

sacnvz

A buddy of mine has the AEM CAI on his 15'. With a tune it works really well. I can't remember off hand what the hp/torque gains were.

Aside from the G35 I used to have, I've always had AEM CAI intakes on all the Civics/Integras I used to run. The quality has always been good and from what I've seen recently its even better now.

Good luck if you plan to put an intake without a tune. I'm too nervous to mess with this engine without an AP. Too many blown ringland threads got to me.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Do your selves a favor and stick with the stock intake with a K&N filter :tup:

The only one of those I would use or recommend is the Cobb primarily for its integrated flow straightener. The only other one I know of that utilizes a flow straightener is Perrin but I don't have any experience with that one. I have had experience with the others though and I was not impressed. In almost every case the stock one was better not because it makes better power but because it has very consistent flow and won't throw off the MAF in any way.

Last edited:
It's not that I don't want a tune, I do and can do so with the membership here :) I actually want to get actual logs, stock and then with the added intake logs. Give it to all here to see if we can debunk some claims that these vendors are saying, or if it's actually true.

I might buy one, maybe then sell later. Really interested what cobb has in store with the redesign but who knows when that will ever release. I know the stock one is great 400+ hp but I would like to properly remove that vortex sound tube or whatever its called. I'm sure that disrupts airflow in some odd way, I don't want to waste money buying last gens restrictive tubing. Rather just replace the whole piece if I could. Besides, I'm guilty liking the spooling sounds and would love to combine it with the inlet tube as well.

Guess I should snag the tactrix cable sometime soon, would love to monitor the car closer n see if stock tune is doing me wrong lols.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Im sure you and i arent the only ones to find out how the stock tune on the 15s is!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I like the idea of testing different intakes against the stock tune. It's just going to be an expensive endeavor.

I like the idea of testing different intakes against the stock tune. It's just going to be an expensive endeavor.

Sure is lol, maybe @sacnvz can get the AEM one and I'll try the Mishimoto one haha. Then bench stock and after intake install.
First things first, Tactrix is next up on my list! Gonna need lessons using the open source stuff. Also I wonder if any of our vendors can get their hands on those intakes.

Gonna be tough, kinda want to save up for a rock for the gf this year :p

sacnvz

Next mods for me will be the Accessport and an EBCS with a tune. An intake system will come much later unless I get bit by the mod bug. lol

Next mods for me will be the Accessport and an EBCS with a tune. An intake system will come much later unless I get bit by the mod bug. lol
Ah, yea I want a AP too. I'm stuck in a hard place saving for a rock for the gf and the car and things to go with it lols. To snag a intake and tactrix for the half of the cost of a AP is probably my route for a little while. Also generally want to use the tactrix for monitoring verses marrying while under warranty. Unless the stock tune is doing horrid things lol then that will get fixed.

sacnvz

I thought about the tactrix but i figured the AP would be better for me and what I eventually plan to do.

but saving money for a rock for your lady or saving money for your car. yeah that's another thread for discussion. lol

Very cool! Why didn't you want to leave it on?
Letting our tuners review the logs and custom tune to follow soon.

ps. rock has been bought :D

Would be nice if I could get a sponsorship for something haha. I'm surrounded by Subies here and not to mention the car scene is huge up here.

Do your selves a favor and stick with the stock intake with a K&N filter :tup:

The only one of those I would use or recommend is the Cobb primarily for its integrated flow straightener. The only other one I know of that utilizes a flow straightener is Perrin but I don't have any experience with that one. I have had experience with the others though and I was not impressed. In almost every case the stock one was better not because it makes better power but because it has very consistent flow and wont through off the MAF in any way.
Does the K&N drop in filter mess up the MAF sensor because of the oil substance?

Congratulations [MENTION=3232]CSF707[/MENTION]!