check engine light

Valsti05

[h=2]Check engine light[/h]
Hello guys .. Need some info... I have a 05 Sti aftermarket catted downpipe , catback, Cobb accessport (ca stage 2) , my question / problem I'm encountering ... After I pump gas and driving a couple of miles ... My check engine light comes out .. Checking the code says the gas cap is loose ... When tighten up the gas cap and resetting the engine light would work fine .. But when the time to fill up comes again .. The check engine will come out again and it will give me the same code .. Gas cap loose .. Can this be caused for a faulty gas cap? Or something more serious?​

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sounds like the gas cap could be bad and not sealing.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How many clicks are you turning the gas cap? I always do minimum of 5 clicks. If it keeps doing it its a faulty cap. Get a new one.

Valsti05

How many clicks are you turning the gas cap? I always do minimum of 5 clicks. If it keeps doing it its a faulty cap. Get a new one.
thank you for your answer.. I ve been doing minimum of 3 clicks ... But on my next fill up I'll try more and see what happens if not I'll look into getting the gas cap ... I really appreciate all of your guys answers .. Thank u

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Also just to make sure. Its an oem gas cap right?

Valsti05

Also just to make sure. Its an oem gas cap right?
yes it is an oem ... To be honest I'm the only owner of the car since it came out of the lot .. And I have never changed the gas cap... But I think after 10-11 years ... It's something to look into

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
yes it is an oem ... To be honest I'm the only owner of the car since it came out of the lot .. And I have never changed the gas cap... But I think after 10-11 years ... It's something to look into

Well my car was manufactured on september of 2003 and im not having that issue. When you look online, what other things can cause that CEL to come on?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i could be wrong but i don't think i've ever seen a CEL code that told you specifically that the gas cap was loose.. usually its an evap/emissions code. what does the scanner/AP say exactly?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
that code means evaporative emissions control system - (gross) leak detected. usually a loose gas cap but could be any sort of leak in the EVAP system ie. broken filler neck or loose/cracked hoses. i would have a mechanic check those as well if your sure the gas cap is tight. also couldn't hurt to get a new gas cap if it is the OEM one

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
that code means evaporative emissions control system - (gross) leak detected. usually a loose gas cap but could be any sort of leak in the EVAP system ie. broken filler neck or loose/cracked hoses. i would have a mechanic check those as well if your sure the gas cap is tight. also couldn't hurt to get a new gas cap if it is the OEM one

http://engine-codes.com/p0457_subaru.html

They list it as part of the definition for the code, aside from the possible causes. That's where I'm coming from.

You are correct that it's a gross leak and could be anything major.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i'm sure they list the gas cap there because 99% of the time that's what it is but again if you are sure its not the cap then look into other causes. hope i have been helpful and best of luck finding the problem!

Valsti05

i could be wrong but i don't think i've ever seen a CEL code that told you specifically that the gas cap was loose.. usually its an evap/emissions code. what does the scanner/AP say exactly?
my scanner/Cobb ap says loose gas cap .. As of now the check engine light is off.. After resetting it... If I get it again I will take a pic to post ..it won't give me the code just gas cap loose that's why I'm concerned... Because as far as I know it should give me a code .

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Interesting ive nvr come across that before.. if i were you i would get a new gas cap anyway it cant hurt... see if that makes it go away for good.. if it comes back again after replacing the gas cap definitely have a mechanic look into other causes

Valsti05

i'm sure they list the gas cap there because 99% of the time that's what it is but again if you are sure its not the cap then look into other causes. hope i have been helpful and best of luck finding the problem![/QUOTE... Thank u yes I'm looking into all the things that could cause the light to come out .. Thank u for your help

I've been throwing that code P0457 for almost a year. Come to find out my mechanic hooked up the BPV hose to the evap return line on the engine, and the evap return line to the throttle body. Would go about 80 miles before CEL would come on and was rough to start after fueling didn't matter how much fuel I pumped. Replaced evap canister and solenoid, purge valve solenoid and hoses and gas cap. My next step was going to be the evap canister hoses but when I corrected my mechanics mistake no more CEL and that was 4 days ago. Good luck in finding the culprit.

Valsti05

I've been throwing that code P0457 for almost a year. Come to find out my mechanic hooked up the BPV hose to the evap return line on the engine, and the evap return line to the throttle body. Would go about 80 miles before CEL would come on and was rough to start after fueling didn't matter how much fuel I pumped. Replaced evap canister and solenoid, purge valve solenoid and hoses and gas cap. My next step was going to be the evap canister hoses but when I corrected my mechanics mistake no more CEL and that was 4 days ago. Good luck in finding the culprit.
thanks that's something to look into cause I did replace my bpv ... Went back to stock after having hks bob ...mayb the problem is coming from there ...

good luck if that don't help start with the cheapest to fix first, the fuel cap then try the purge control solenoid and the little hoses there, if that don't help may have to go to the rear and switch out the evap canister and solenoid and all the hoses or you can take to mechanic and do a smoke test read all you can on the possible solutions so you get an understanding of what is wrong. and get the diagrams so you know where all the hoses go