The Official Food, Cooking & Gardening Thread

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Nah, it's cool. But I can merge the two threads if you like.

Yeah might as well

Done.

By the way, if anyone grows or raises their own food, post it up. I've got a few pictures of my vegetable garden harvests here. There is also an Official Hunting & Fishing Thread for those who shoot and catch their own food. :rambo:

Sweet [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] I knew about the gun one I've posted in there a couple of times

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Hell yeah. Guns, hunting and fishing, growing and cooking food. We have all this shit on lockdown. [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION].COM should change the name to IGOTASTIANDAPLANTOSURVIVETHEENDOFTHEWORLD.COM

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Hell yeah. Guns, hunting and fishing, growing and cooking food. We have all this shit on lockdown. [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION].COM should change the name to IGOTASTIANDAPLANTOSURVIVETHEENDOFTHEWORLD.COM
Now that is one awesome URL!

?Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Now I'm trying to come up with a list of things to grow in the garden this year. I might put my smaller plants in their own planter boxes to free up some space in my main garden. I think I'm going to have fewer plants overall this year, but focus on getting huge yields, which I should be able to. Last year, between two heirloom tomato plants, I harvested over well over 100 tomatoes.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Try growing some heirloom varieties. My favorite are Oxheart and Mr. Stripey. Both are wonderful tomatoes for sandwich slices and I also make tomato preserves from leftover Oxhearts.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It's amazing how much stuff I can grow in here. I often have to give some stuff away or preserve them for the winter because I can't eat everything fast enough before it goes bad.

cc9bca5e24fe57283be7f01e407bf38e.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You should! I can advise. It's not rocket science though, so I'm sure you'll do well.

Nothing like fresh veggies. Problem is once they start coming in, theres usually way too much at once to eat. Luckily for me my daughter helps out with this problem.

Pro Tip: when you have scrap from cutting up your veggies, dig a small hole in garden and place the scraps in there. Then cover the hole back up. Over the year they will decompose and add back to the nutrients of the soil. Possibly even give you some voluntaries for next year. I got three tomato plants from this method this year.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Absolutely. You have to come up with a plan of what you're going to do with all the produce, because it can be very difficult to eat all of it before it goes bad.

I made dozens of jars of tomato preserves and pickles last year. Even then, I had to give a lot of stuff away before it went bad. Some things you can freeze, others you can dehydrate.

When the garden nears it's peak of production, you'll be picking bushels of veggies every week.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
These are the plans. I grew up with a Dad that was close with the earth and he taught me allot about gardening. I just hope I can remember it all. I need to find a good spot in the yard to do it.

Absolutely. You have to come up with a plan of what you're going to do with all the produce, because it can be very difficult to eat all of it before it goes bad.

I made dozens of jars of tomato preserves and pickles last year. Even then, I had to give a lot of stuff away before it went bad. Some things you can freeze, others you can dehydrate.

When the garden nears it's peak of production, you'll be picking bushels of veggies every week.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You'll do better with a raised bed and it's easier to work in. I started out with just a long hole in the lawn and eventually went to a raised bed.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk