Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  33
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grinders E39 ///M5

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Grinders E39 ///M5

So i'm terrible at electronics, but hoping @HolyCrapItsFast (the tinkerer of tinkerers) might be able to help me out.

For this technology update, the standard way results in you losing all the buttons on the dash, like memory and volume. You're stuck with steering wheel controls only, well and the iDrive knob. I'd love to at LEAST be able to have a volume knob in the monitor bezel somewhere.

What are the chances of being able to take the volume functionality from this somehow:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	7500

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	7501

In my head I'm thinking of hooking the leads up to an oscilliscope or something like simulink, and seeing what happens if you turn the volume knob. But from my miniscule knowledge, there's probably more than just a simple voltage at the output since there are only 4 wires. And then there's the fact that i only have a cheap multimeter. Any advice/guidance on how to go about this, or if it's a fools errand would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Grinder34; 01-21-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Check out my journal here!

2. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

That's beyond my knowledge. it is likely a data line and with out knowing what those chips are I likely will not be able to be of much help. Are they labeled?

My journal

Tuning & Service: Self Tuned
    Machining services: Bob @ Ace Crankshaft, Bayshore NY, Ralph @ Chudnow Manufacturing

4. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

No real markings. Oh well.

6. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

I just signed up for the first autocross of the season and couldnt be more excited.

This will be the first time I've done "performance" driving since...2013?
    This will be the first time I've ever really pushed this car.
    This will be the first time driving a high-power RWD car at the limits.

I'm thinking I'll learn a lot about driving! The STI was toooooons of fun, but the AWD really helped you muscle through corners. I'm thinking I'll need a bit more finesse and throttle moderation. But if you never spin, you're not learning the limits!

8. Thanks IGOTASTi, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, Alin, Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Can't wait to hear about your experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

10. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Well, it was actually pretty tame! I'll probably ramble a bit, but here it goes...

It was a pretty miserable day weather-wise. I thought that the mist was supposed to burn off quickly, so I didnt bother wearing a coat, or bringing anything warm. And I'd emptied the car of pretty much everything but my helmet and some extra fluids. So when I got there, I was pretty miserable. I was working the track for the first session, and they were having some issues with the timing lights, so the first car didnt get out for probably 30 minutes after we started standing around. Then, my corner was pretty tame and nobody hit a cone for the first 30 minutes or so. All that means I was really, really cold.

Anyways, on to the track! It started with an uphill slalom, and I'm proud to say I spun it at the second cone! To be fair, many people spun there, as it was an off-camber turn, cold tires, and a little damp. But the run must go on! The rest of the first lap was pretty tame, just getting a handle on the course. My next few laps were a big improvement over the first one, but I never really felt like I was putting it together. The front seemed to wash away in slow (and gravelly) corners, and any enthusiasm with the gas pedal was met with equal enthusiasm from the rear. But the car did seem to tend towards understeer, even with the larger RSB. I was always a bit nervous to get on the gas in the places that I could, because the track limits were too close to the parking lot berms for my comfort. Once when I stomped on it in the final almost-straight, I felt the car start to rotate me towards the curbs and figured a half second really wasnt worth a totalled car. From then on, I really really slowly squeezed the throttle.

But there are really two parts to a good lap time. A good line, and good car control.

By the end of the day, I think i'd done each corner on the course well at least once, but never all together.
    What I didn't really have was the car control. In stock form, it was nowhere near as precise as the STI, which I'm pretty sure anyone could have told you. I'm sure in the hands of Lewis Hamilton, it would've been a sight to behold, but especially in transitions, I couldn't tell how much was "too much." In retrospect, I probably should've TRIED to be a bit crazier, to see those limits. Especially in one middle decreasing-distance slalom, I think i could've carried about 15mph more through there, but it just felt so upset already. But if you're trying to learn the car, you probably learn more by over-driving it than under-driving, right?

Oh, i forgot to mention, the afternoon was wet from some lunch-time rain. It had somewhat dried out, but still greasy.

So my summary. The car has gobs of power, but doesn't instill the confidence I remember having in the STI, and the MINI before that. It grips reasonably well given it's weight and the surface, but could probably dial the RSB up one notch if i were trying for a more neutral balance. I clearly have more learning to do as a driver, but in stock form the car will never truly shine on a track...Except for when you get in and drive away at the end of the day in total comfort.

11. Thanks Alin, Defpo, Batmobile_Engage, IGOTASTi thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Apparently I've been bit by the bug again. Signed up for another auto-x in a week. Still just signing up for "novice" class since it comes with a free instructor!

13. Thanks Alin, IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, IGOTASTi liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

So it begins...

Name:	IMG_20180308_171608624 (1).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	7527

15. Thanks Alin, IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, IGOTASTi liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #29
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

More pictures of the actual car, please!

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

17. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    More pictures of the actual car, please!
    Geez fine!

Name:	Pic 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	7528

Name:	Pic 3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	7529