Likes Likes:  63
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Grinders E39 ///M5

1. Top Of Page | #61
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Grinders E39 ///M5

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    Best I can figure I have a bad battery. Probably from being drained a few times.

I kept the reciept and Autozone has already replaced it once under warranty. Maybe they'll do it again!
    What are you waiting for?!

Is the M5 battery an odd, large, rectangular size like my 1999 Audi A8 had? (Meaning, different than a typical STi's battery.)

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

2. Top Of Page | #62

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    What are you waiting for?!
    I'm waiting for a few more data points. Want to see what it does tomorrow morning after I reset the charger. Plus, i guess, time and motivation to actually get it done.

Is the M5 battery an odd, large, rectangular size like my 1999 Audi A8 had? (Meaning, different than a typical STi's battery.)
    Yes. It's the size of two STI batteries side-by-side. The thing is comical.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TEMP.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	7940

Last edited by Grinder34; 12-19-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Check out my journal here (Sold)
    My non-subaru journal here!

3. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #63

User Info Menu

Did you ever resolve the battery issue?

What's your average fuel economy when you drive like a grandma in the M5? (If that circumstance ever occurs. )

It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

5. Top Of Page | #64

User Info Menu

Did you ever resolve the battery issue?

What's your average fuel economy when you drive like a grandma in the M5? (If that circumstance ever occurs. )
    Battery was DEAD. So I actually managed to jump it using TWO of those LiIon jump starters--one in the trunk on the battery, and the other on the terminals under the hood. It BARELY turned over, but apparently 1600 CCA was enough when 1000 CCA wasn't.

But I took it to Autozone, where I still had the reciept, they had to run their tests. I think their meter said it was at something like 45 CCA. So they ended up giving me another AND resetting my battery warranty due to a stroke of luck. Now I keep the car on a float charger pretty much all the time and haven't had any issues.

I'm almost never driving my car anymore--either take the wife's or bike. But around town it's really not great, even when driving like a grandma, just due to allllll the stop lights and stop signs. On the highway, I think i was mid 20s on the way to Texas at 75 mph. Not bad!

My next project is the thermostat. It definitely needs to be replaced (stuck open), which has only helped me not want to drive it during the winter. Getting to the thermostats is kind of a PITA, made easier by removing the giant plenum under the hood. Removing that is also a PITA with a million dissimilar screws--i've yet to have it off myself, so we'll see! But once you have the plenum off I think I'll probably end up going crazy with replacing all the other 20 year old tubes that are undoubtedly deteriorated down there.

I also think i'll do valve cover gaskets, as I think thats at least one source of my slowww oil leak. When I looked through the old service records they'd been replaced like 5 times, and when I did spark plugs a few years back (man I should do those again too ) there was lots of oil in some of the wells.

Picture of the intake plenum:

Name:	107-m51.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	7959

6. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #65

User Info Menu

Ah, I see now that your car has a 4.9L V8, with 400 CHP and 369 CTQ.
    My A8 has a 4.2L V8, with 300 CHP and 295 CTQ.

Oh, wow! Your car has a 18.5 gallon tank, while mine has a 23.7 gallon tank. You have a small tank for such a heavy car!

I also get mid 20's MPG on the highway, and I'm assuming your gearing is better suited than mine since you have a 6 speed? What's your RPM at 70 MPH? Mine is exactly 2,000 RPM in 5th gear. Your car also weighs ~220 lb more than mine, but I'm cheating since I have the aluminum space frame.

What car does your wife have? Post a picture!

I'll get some pictures soon. I currently have the plastics removed from the engine bay and everything is pretty much exposed at the moment. My car is running great as it is right now, so I won't be replacing anything unless needed. Everything is harmonious at 239,6XX miles, so my job is cruise a fuck ton of miles!

8. Top Of Page | #66

User Info Menu

Ah, I see now that your car has a 4.9L V8, with 400 CHP and 369 CTQ.
    My A8 has a 4.2L V8, with 300 CHP and 295 CTQ.

Oh, wow! Your car has a 18.5 gallon tank, while mine has a 23.7 gallon tank. You have a small tank for such a heavy car!

I also get mid 20's MPG on the highway, and I'm assuming your gearing is better suited than mine since you have a 6 speed? What's your RPM at 70 MPH? Mine is exactly 2,000 RPM in 5th gear. Your car also weighs ~220 lb more than mine, but I'm cheating since I have the aluminum space frame.

What car does your wife have? Post a picture!

I'll get some pictures soon. I currently have the plastics removed from the engine bay and everything is pretty much exposed at the moment. My car is running great as it is right now, so I won't be replacing anything unless needed. Everything is harmonious at 239,6XX miles, so my job is cruise a fuck ton of miles!
    I'm not sure I have any pictures of the wife's car! It's a 2016 A4 Allroad...Premium? Platinum? Whatever, we bought used in Dallas, with most of the upgrades. Here's what it looks like:

Name:	audi-a4-allroad-2016-wa1ufafl6ga012059-img1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	7961

Surprisingly with the under-hood picture I posted, none of that is frivolous plastic. From the car's perspective.... back left/right is housing dual cabin filters. Front left/right is dual intakes. Center is the intake plenum with velocity stacks. Picture with the top removed:

Name:	yhhezg4qyqr21.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	7960

As for cruising RPM, I'll have to get back to you. Not sure when the next time I'll have it on the freeway is!

9. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #67

User Info Menu

Do the newer Allroad vehicles also have air suspension like the early 2000's models? The air suspension on the earlier models were horrendous. The D3 chassis of the A8 also received air suspension in 2004 and on alongside with the VW Phaeton, and they were such a weak point of those cars.

What engine does your wife's car have? That looks pretty slick!

Has the car been reliable?

Why do both of you have German cars?

11. Top Of Page | #68

User Info Menu

I finally bought some
    245/40R-18 CONTINENTAL WINTERCONTACT SI XL from tirerack on super discount. Nothing came up on Craigslist and I just wanted it over with! At a bit over $100 a tire it's not too bad! But I won't get to use them until the winter.

12. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567