Intercooleress?

I was talking to my buddy who has a GN and he was saying that some of the guys that run E-85 don't have an intercooler. I would assume this would be for drag racing only but could it be used for daily driving? Or would it heat kill all horse power gains and give less power than 93 and an intercooler

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Why would you want to run without an intercooler, even with E85. They dont add that much weight in the scheme of things, and you get lots of benefits.

Even if you found a way to make it work for racing, there's no way I'd want to do it for daily.

Not that i would want to just curious about it really? I had never heard of anyone not running one. I just don't know what benefit it would be. But again these are guys still running 80's turbo 6's so i think they are trying anything

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Old school thinking is my guess. No reason to not run an intercooler for any application. Apparently these people don't understand the gas law.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'll have to do some looking around again, but I seem to remember a few turbocharged (and supercharged) cars with no intercooler...from the factory no less. Granted, the boost pressures where very low...<8 psi.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I know that many GN guys love methanol and run huge quantities of it with no water mixed in. This was generally on a big turbo, pushing a ton of volume at a relatively low pressure. They also had the headers and turbo wrapped up and lots of heat shielding.