Quick release hubs vs. SRS system

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i have a question maybe someone can shed some light on.

when someone does a quick release steering wheel is there some sort of resistor or module that lets the SRS system think an airbag is still there.

if im not mistaken when an air bag is removed and the light goes on nothing else in the SRS system works. is that correct?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Great question! We've never done this. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i asked a few friends and the conclusion is a 3.3 ohm resistor plugged right into the connector.. im not sure if it varies between years tho. [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] any idea?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
now does anyone know where i could buy a 3.3 ohm resistor?

Amazon.com, Fry's Electronics, Radio Shack or any other electronics supply store.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ That should work. Although it'll probably be just fine, I don't know what the voltage and current of that circuit is, so to be on the safe side I'd say you might want to consider a 3.3 ohm *1 Watt* resistor instead of the 1/4 Watt.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i was told its either 3.3 and 1/4 or 3.0 and 1. would putting the wrong one in harm anything or will it just not turn off the light in which case i could buy both and do trial and error

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
There are Amazon listings for resistors that come in a 10-pack. You'll just have to look around a little more. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think wattage differences will make any difference in operation for what you're doing. It's just a rating based on the amount of heat it will handle/disperse before potentially failing. The resistance rating absolutely needs to be accurate to work properly though. If you're not sure, get some 3 and 3.3 ohm resistors and try each.

EDIT: The 1/4 Watt will probably be fine though. If you install it and it gets really hot, try a 1 Watt instead.

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
3 OHM

3.0 Ohm 1W Flameproof Resistor 10 Pcs.
http://www.amazon.com/3-0-Ohm-Flame...=1439588249&sr=8-11&keywords=3.3+ohm+resistor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.3 OHM

3.3 Ohm 1W Flameproof Resistor 10 Pcs.
http://www.amazon.com/3-3-Ohm-Flame...d=1439588249&sr=8-2&keywords=3.3+ohm+resistor

3.3K ohm 1/2W 5% Carbon Film Resistor pk/5
http://www.amazon.com/3-3K-ohm-Carb...=1439588249&sr=8-13&keywords=3.3+ohm+resistor

RadioShack 3.3K Ohm 1/4-Watt Carbon Film Resistor (5-Pack)
http://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-4-...14&sr=8-11&keywords=3.3+ohm+resistor+1/4+Watt

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
What steering wheel you getting?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
V=IR.

it's 12 Volts (battery). It's 3.3 ohms. It should be 3.6 amps.

3.6 amps * 12 v = 43.2 Watts.

Damn im bad at this stuff.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
What steering wheel you getting?

I havent officially decided if im doing this or not yet.. Depending on how well this works. I havent looked into the parts yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My thoughts: For a street car, never, ever. Not even once.

Airbags save lives. But, you say, I'll have a harness! Harnesses SUCK in a street car. They're often (always?) illegal (for a reason). If the harness is tight, as it needs to be, you really cant move your head/body to even check a blind spot, let alone change the radio. Then, if it's a 4-point harness, you're more likely to submarine (end up a puddle in the footwell) in a crash than with a standard seatbelt. With a 5 point, less likely to submarine but likely to never have children AND have the same problem as a 6-point harness (next). With a six point harness, in a rollover and roof cave-in, your body is unable to slump to the side, so you instead snap your neck.

That's all assuming you have a standard car with no roll cage, and the harness just buckled into the rear seatbelt holders.

If you have a harness bar, add an ADDITIONAL safety concern. If you get t-boned, the bar can buckle. If it buckles forwards, it can impale you. If it buckles backwards, it can cause the harness to crush you against the seat.

If you have a full rollcage, ignore the safety issues except for the moving your body to check blind spots or change the radio.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] i appreciate that some of which i didnt know. but in the near future the car will no longer be my daily driver and just a "weekend warrior" if you will and will probably start setting up for track use. again this isnt happening tomorrow its more for my own knowledge as i was curious but if the car progresses to where i want it the seats i will have will be almost impossible to get out of with the steering wheel in the way.