Perrin Performance - New Gauges

Mitus

imEIcpG.jpg

Perrin Performance Gauges:

It was really exciting to find out that Perrin Performance released their new line of gauges. As much as I love my Access Port, the digital gauge options on there just weren't doing it for me. I’ve been looking into different options for gauges and these couldn’t have come out at a better time. Of course I got all six of them, but I chose to start with boost gauge because… well, because turbo.

I was impressed with the gauge before I even got it out of the box. This is the first time I've seen a Perrin Performance product in something other than their signature white boxes and I must say it’s a welcomed change. The packaging is attractive and the information on the outside of the box is more than enough to quickly educate you about the gauge.

Each Perrin gauge comes with a 60mm pod, which I thought was really cool. Though my long term plans include a pillar pod and triple dash pod, having the ability to temporarily set up the gauge with the included pod was really nice. The base for the pod has several sections that are made to be cut or broken away, allowing you to choose the size of the base. Yet another really cool, but simple feature provided by Perrin.

I have seen several types of gauges that require you to run individual power and ground for each gauge. Perrin built in the ability to daisy chain the gauges so you don’t have run lines for every gauge. This is awesome because it just simplifies things and you don’t have an excessive amount of wiring to deal with.

Boost Pressure Gauge:

JRlLsWY.jpg

Installation of the Boost Pressure Gauge took roughly 90 minutes. I found the instructions provided by Perrin to be very informative, but we really only used them to view the wiring diagram. There are a few important bullet points in there so I highly suggest you review the instructions.

(Boost Gauge) In The Box:
(1) 60mm Boost Pressure Gauge
(1) 60mm Gauge Pod w/ mounting hardware and double sided tape
(1) Gauge Controller
(1) 3-way vacuum connector
(1) Approximately 12” of vacuum hose
(1) Boost Sensor
(1) Filter
(1) Boost Sensor Cable
(1) Wire harness (power, ground, ignition & lights)
(1) Daisy Chain Power Cable

Tools & supplies needed:
Soldering iron
Electrical tape
Clippers (or equivalent capable of cutting vacuum hose)
Wire stripper
Small zip ties (for vacuum hose)
Zip ties

Installation:

- First, decide where you want to mount the gauge, as this will have an impact on how you route the wiring. For my purpose, I am temporarily mounting it to the left of my gauge cluster.

- There are multiple vacuum lines that you can connect the gauge too. I chose to use the line that runs from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold as suggested in the instructions from Perrin.

- I cut this vacuum line and inserted the provided “3-way vacuum connector.” It may not be necessary, but I chose to use small zip ties on all 3 sides of the connector to secure the vacuum lines.

- From the “3-way vacuum connector” I ran a portion of the provided vacuum line toward the back of the engine bay.

- At this point I connected the provided Filter to the vacuum line and ran another short piece of vacuum line out the other side of the Filter.

- Next, I connected the vacuum line coming out of the backside of the filter, to the Boost Sensor. As the instructions suggest, I made sure that the sensor pointed down before I zip tied it in place.

- Running the wire into my vehicle was fairly simple. My fender liner is cut so I was able to just reach behind it and feed the wire into the same grommet that I ran the wiring for my stereo. I made sure to pull the wire through and leave any slack on the inside of the vehicle.

- I removed the very left side of my dash and the driver-side pillar to make it easy to run the cable to my desired location.

- For the next part we consulted the wiring diagram included with the instructions:

vFfXhlE.jpg

- Once you’ve successfully connected your wires, go ahead and test that the gauges goes through its opening ceremony when you turn the key in the ignition.

- Once you’ve confirmed that your wires are connected properly, go ahead and solder them into place, then cover them with electrical tape. Make sure that there is no solder or bare wire showing at all.

- Choose the location you wish to mount the gauge. Bundle up any extra wiring, then securely zip tie the bundle under the dash, out of sight and out of the way.

- Perrin provides a 60mm gauge pod with each gauge. The base of the pod has “break-away” points where you can remove excess metal and create the size base that works best for you. Test fit the empty pod to the location you have chosen and make sure that the base of the pod isn’t too large.

q6dz52X.jpg

- Using the provided 3m double sided tape, mount the gauge pod into position.

- Use the provided piece of foam tap to wrap around the outside rim of the gauge. This helps ensure a secure fit when placing the gauge inside the pod.

- Using the supplied piece of 3m tape, mount the pod control switch to your desired location on the outside edge of the gauge. Connect the control switch to the correct port on the back of the pod.

- With the pod mounted and your gauge now securely placed inside the pod, it’s time to do one final check. Make sure that you’ve tucked away all extra wiring and replaced any parts that you had to remove to route your wiring.

- Start up the car and check that the gauge is measuring Pressure.

- At this point you can adjust the brightness levels for normal and night mode.

Here's a shot of the finished install:

TFkfi0L.jpg

Fuel Pressure Gauge:

Installation of the fuel pressure gauge took approximately 45 minutes. This was significantly faster than installing the Boost Pressure Gauge because I didn't have to run another power line. Perrin built in a piggy-back feature that allows you to tap into the power of another nearby gauge instead of running dedicated power to each. This was also easier because I already have the Perrin Performance Fuel Pressure Regulator that I could plug the sensor directly into.

52UCzFG.jpg

(Fuel Pressure Gauge) In The Box:

(1) 60mm Fuel Pressure Gauge
(1) Gauge Controller
(1) Fuel Pressure Sensor
(1) Fuel Pressure Sensor cable

Tools & supplies needed:

- Zip ties
- Allen wrench (to remove 1/8th NPT threaded port on Perrin Fuel Pressure Regulator)

Installation:

- First, decide where you want to mount the gauge, as this will have an impact on how you route the wiring. For my purpose, I am temporarily mounting it to the left of my gauge cluster along with my Boost Gauge.

- Disconnect the Fuel Pressure Regulator from it's mounting bracket so that you can easily access the port on the bottom of it.

- Using an allen wrench remove the fitting that currently is in 1/8th NPT threaded port

- Connect the gauge's Fuel Pressure Sensor to the 1/8th NPT threaded port on the bottom of the Fuel Pressure Regulator

pULd6TU.jpg

- Connect the Fuel Pressure Sensor cable to the Sensor

- Decide the path that you will route the sensor cable and begin feeding the cable through

- Re-mount the Fuel Pressure Regulator to it's bracket

- I ran the sensor cable around the edge of the engine bay, under the driver side front fender and through the same grommet that had the rest of my cabling

- I removed the very left side of my dash and the driver-side pillar to make it easy to run the cable to my desired location.

- Following the same procedure as the last gauge, I assembled the provided gauge pod and mounted it to the dash

- Powering the gauge was simple with Perrin's daisy-chain feature. I simply connect one side of the cable to a gauge that already has power and connect the other end to my newly installed gauge.

- All that was left was to clean up and bundle away any excess cabling under the dash before re-installing the side pannel and pillar

azfISNo.jpg

Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Gauges

The Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature gauges connect to the same sandwich plate adapter so I decided to install them both at the same time. The installation took roughly 2 hours to complete. I decided to use one of Perrin's Universal Dual Gauge Pods and installed these two gauges just behind the steering wheel. In this situation I was again able to take advantage of the daisy-chain feature that Perrin built in and only had to run power to one of the two new gauges. For the Oil Filter Sandwich Plate I used one that I already had laying around from Mishimoto, but I do know that Perrin also makes the same part. I was a little intimidated by this installation at first, but once it came down to doing the work I realized it wasn't so bad. I also took advantage of this time to do an oil change.

NbYKE7j.jpg
ghGO1IX.jpg

(Oil Pressure Gauge) In The Box:

(1) 60mm Oil Pressure Gauge
(1) Gauge Controller
(1) Oil Pressure Sensor
(1) Oil Pressure Sensor Cable
(1) Wire Harness (power, ground, ignition & lights)

(Oil Temperature Gauge) In The Box:

(1) 60mm Oil Temperature Gauge
(1) Gauge Controller
(1) Oil Temperature Sensor
(1) Oil Temperature Sensor Cable

Also Used In this Installation:

Perrin Performance: Dual Gauge Pod

Ypvwu2o.jpg

Perrin Performance: Oil Filter Adapter (or equivalent part)

0KR2EVg.jpg

Installation:

• I started off by installing the Perrin Dual Gauge Pod.
  • First, remove the panel from behind the steering wheel where the pod will be mounted
  • Lay down masking tape, set the pod in the position that it will be mounted and trace around the 3 mounting points onto the tape
  • Drill holes in the 3 points that you marked

7O4uCe7.jpg

• Remove the masking tape and mount the pod securely onto the panel

I8l1FCt.jpg

O9b7Dnj.jpg

• Re-install the panel with the pod back into the vehicle

qp5tsRK.jpg

• Once the panel is re-installed you can adjust the position of each pod, then tight the screw for each to lock the pods in place.

fEs0j3t.jpg

• Next up is installing the oil filter adapter for the gauge sensors
  • With the vehicle raise on a lift or jack stands, remove the skid plate from the bottom of the vehicle.
  • Remove the oil filter (I chose to also do an oil change at this time and completely drained the oil)

qjqfOya.jpg

• Install both gauge sensors into the oil filter adapter plate. Use teflon tape or another adequate sealer to make sure you avoid any leaking.

IRuTI0O.jpg

• Attach the appropriate mounting nut for your model vehicle to the adapter plate and install it onto the vehicle

ZglrtFM.jpg

• Using a 26mm wrench, tighten to 20 ft/lbs
  • Attach the oil filter onto the new mounting nut

7iM2PVy.jpg

• Make sure that the oil filter and the sensors are tightly secured before moving onto the next step.
  • At this point I refilled my oil before moving on.
  • Connect each of the sensor cables to the appropriate sensor and begin routing your cables
  • I found it helpful to put a piece of tape on the end of one of the cables so I don't lose track of which cable is which
  • I used the same method to get the sensor cables inside the vehicle as I did on the previous gauges. These two cables left the engine bay, went behind the driver side front fender and entered through the same grommet as my other gauges.
  • I removed the very left side of my dash and the driver-side pillar to make it easy to run the cable to my desired location.
  • For the next part we consulted the wiring diagram included with the instructions to run power to one of the two new gauges:

vFfXhlE.jpg

• Connect the appropriate sensor cable to the first gauge.
  • Once you’ve successfully connected your wires, go ahead and test that the gauges goes through its opening ceremony when you turn the key in the ignition.
  • Once you’ve confirmed that your wires are connected properly, turn off the vehicle, solder the wires into place and then cover them with electrical tape. Make sure that there is no solder or bare wire showing at all.

YrCEZEg.jpg

• Secure the first gauge into one of the two pods
  • Connect the appropriate sensor cable to the second gauge
  • Connect the daisy chain power cable to the second gauge
  • Mount the second gauge into the pod
  • Connect the other end of the daisy chain power cable to the other pod
  • Using zip ties, clean up the cabling running to the gauges
  • I kept any extra slack bundled up under the dash and out of view
  • Start the engine again to confirm that all gauges go through their opening ceremony
  • At this time you can adjust the brightness and choose between white or red lighting.
  • I also suggest adjusting the level at which the oil pressure gauge alerts you. The default is to set off the gauge's alarm if it drops below 20psi and I found that I regularly do this on daily driving. Follow the included instructions to adjust the level at which the alert goes off

2ScDCv2.jpg

81nS1ru.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing like having a boost gauge, nice write up :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
This is very nice. Thank you for the info! I will also add this thread to the How To section. You highlight the installation with good detail.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Promoting this article to the front of the site and sharing this on our social media.

Thank you!!! Great job!!!

@Mitus

Mitus

Nothing like having a boost gauge, nice write up :tup:

This is very nice. Thank you for the info! I will also add this thread to the How To section. You highlight the installation with good detail.

Promoting this article to the front of the site and sharing this on our social media.
Thank you!!! Great job!!!
@Mitus

Thanks Everyone! I'll have more info on the other 5 gauges very soon.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We can't wait!

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Mitus

Fuel Pressure Gauge:

Installation of the fuel pressure gauge took approximately 45 minutes. This was significantly faster than installing the Boost Pressure Gauge because I didn't have to run another power line. Perrin built in a piggy-back feature that allows you to tap into the power of another nearby gauge instead of running dedicated power to each. This was also easier because I already have the Perrin Performance Fuel Pressure Regulator that I could plug the sensor directly into.

52UCzFG.jpg

(Fuel Pressure Gauge) In The Box:

(1) 60mm Fuel Pressure Gauge
(1) Gauge Controller
(1) Fuel Pressure Sensor
(1) Fuel Pressure Sensor cable

Tools & supplies needed:

- Zip ties
- Allen wrench (to remove 1/8th NPT threaded port on Perrin Fuel Pressure Regulator)

Installation:

- First, decide where you want to mount the gauge, as this will have an impact on how you route the wiring. For my purpose, I am temporarily mounting it to the left of my gauge cluster along with my Boost Gauge.

- Disconnect the Fuel Pressure Regulator from it's mounting bracket so that you can easily access the port on the bottom of it.

- Using an allen wrench remove the fitting that currently is in 1/8th NPT threaded port

- Connect the gauge's Fuel Pressure Sensor to the 1/8th NPT threaded port on the bottom of the Fuel Pressure Regulator

pULd6TU.jpg

- Connect the Fuel Pressure Sensor cable to the Sensor

- Decide the path that you will route the sensor cable and begin feeding the cable through

- Re-mount the Fuel Pressure Regulator to it's bracket

- I ran the sensor cable around the edge of the engine bay, under the driver side front fender and through the same grommet that had the rest of my cabling

- Following the same procedure as the last gauge, I assembled the provided gauge pod and mounted it to the dash

- Powering the gauge was simple with Perrin's daisy-chain feature. I simply connect one side of the cable to a gauge that already has power and connect the other end to my newly installed gauge.

- All that was left was to clean up and bundle away any excess cabling under the dash before re-installing the side pannel and pillar

azfISNo.jpg

Stay tuned... I'll be posting about the other 4 gauges as I'm able to get them installed.

Let me know if you have any questions

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=3818]Mitus[/MENTION] thank you for another great post! ;)

Mitus

Oil Pressure & Oil Temperature Gauges

The Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature gauges connect to the same sandwich plate adapter so I decided to install them both at the same time. The installation took roughly 2 hours to complete. I decided to use one of Perrin's Universal Dual Gauge Pods and installed these two gauges just behind the steering wheel. In this situation I was again able to take advantage of the daisy-chain feature that Perrin built in and only had to run power to one of the two new gauges. For the Oil Filter Sandwich Plate I used one that I already had laying around from Mishimoto, but I do know that Perrin also makes the same part. I was a little intimidated by this installation at first, but once it came down to doing the work I realized it wasn't so bad. I also took advantage of this time to do an oil change.

NbYKE7j.jpg
ghGO1IX.jpg

(Oil Pressure Gauge) In The Box:

(1) 60mm Oil Pressure Gauge
(1) Gauge Controller
(1) Oil Pressure Sensor
(1) Oil Pressure Sensor Cable

(Oil Temperature Gauge) In The Box:

(1) 60mm Oil Temperature Gauge
(1) Gauge Controller
(1) Oil Temperature Sensor
(1) Oil Temperature Sensor Cable

Also Used In this Installation:

Perrin Performance: Dual Gauge Pod

Ypvwu2o.jpg

Perrin Performance: Oil Filter Adapter (or equivalent part)

0KR2EVg.jpg

Installation:

• I started off by installing the Perrin Dual Gauge Pod.
  • First, remove the panel from behind the steering wheel where the pod will be mounted
  • Lay down masking tape, set the pod in the position that it will be mounted and trace around the 3 mounting points onto the tape
  • Drill holes in the 3 points that you marked

7O4uCe7.jpg

• Remove the masking tape and mount the pod securely onto the panel

I8l1FCt.jpg

O9b7Dnj.jpg

• Re-install the panel with the pod back into the vehicle

qp5tsRK.jpg

• Once the panel is re-installed you can adjust the position of each pod, then tight the screw for each to lock the pods in place.

fEs0j3t.jpg

• Next up is installing the oil filter adapter for the gauge sensors
  • With the vehicle raise on a lift or jack stands, remove the skid plate from the bottom of the vehicle.
  • Remove the oil filter (I chose to also do an oil change at this time and completely drained the oil)

qjqfOya.jpg

• Install both gauge sensors into the oil filter adapter plate. Use teflon tape or another adequate sealer to make sure you avoid any leaking.

IRuTI0O.jpg

• Attach the appropriate mounting nut for your model vehicle to the adapter plate and install it onto the vehicle

ZglrtFM.jpg

• Using a 26mm wrench, tighten to 20 ft/lbs
  • Attach the oil filter onto the new mounting nut

7iM2PVy.jpg

• Make sure that the oil filter and the sensors are tightly secured before moving onto the next step.
  • At this point I refilled my oil before moving on.
  • Connect each of the sensor cables to the appropriate sensor and begin routing your cables
  • I found it helpful to put a piece of tape on the end of one of the cables so I don't lose track of which cable is which
  • I used the same method to get the sensor cables inside the vehicle as I did on the previous gauges. These two cables left the engine bay, went behind the driver side front fender and entered through the same grommet as my other gauges.
  • I removed the very left side of my dash and the driver-side pillar to make it easy to run the cable to my desired location.
  • For the next part we consulted the wiring diagram included with the instructions to run power to one of the two new gauges:

vFfXhlE.jpg

• Connect the appropriate sensor cable to the first gauge.
  • Once you’ve successfully connected your wires, go ahead and test that the gauges goes through its opening ceremony when you turn the key in the ignition.
  • Once you’ve confirmed that your wires are connected properly, turn off the vehicle, solder the wires into place and then cover them with electrical tape. Make sure that there is no solder or bare wire showing at all.

YrCEZEg.jpg

• Secure the first gauge into one of the two pods
  • Connect the appropriate sensor cable to the second gauge
  • Connect the daisy chain power cable to the second gauge
  • Mount the second gauge into the pod
  • Connect the other end of the daisy chain power cable to the other pod
  • Using zip ties, clean up the cabling running to the gauges
  • I kept any extra slack bundled up under the dash and out of view
  • Start the engine again to confirm that all gauges go through their opening ceremony
  • At this time you can adjust the brightness and choose between white or red lighting.
  • I also suggest adjusting the level at which the oil pressure gauge alerts you. The default is to set off the gauge's alarm if it drops below 20psi and I found that I regularly do this on daily driving. Follow the included instructions to adjust the level at which the alert goes off

2ScDCv2.jpg

81nS1ru.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=3818]Mitus[/MENTION] killer! ;)

Excellent write up! I actually just ordered some of these the other day with the pod you are using.

Would you mind explaining how the "up/down" buttons mounted on the side of the boost gauge specifically fit into the pod? Is it removable or something?

@Mitus

Mitus

Excellent write up! I actually just ordered some of these the other day with the pod you are using.
Would you mind explaining how the "up/down" buttons mounted on the side of the boost gauge specifically fit into the pod? Is it removable or something?
@Mitus

Awesome! You're going to love them. The buttons that you see mounted on the side of my gauges can be mounted around the edge of the gauge in any position you choose. There is a piece of 3M double sided tape included that is exactly the right size to attach the buttons. It connects to the gauge on a 4-5 inch cable. The buttons are used to manage the brightness, color, alert level and peak of each gauge. I've had a few people ask me if there are other options besides mounting them on the side of the gauge and this is what I've shared with them...

1) You could set all your preferences then disconnect the cable and remove the buttons all together. I should add that I have not done this so I can not confirm whether or not it will have any negative effect.
2) You could set all your preferences then hide the button. As I mentioned there is a 4-5 inch cable so depending on where you mount the gauge you may be able to hide it. It's also possible to tuck it into the back of the gauge pod.

I just installed mine. I couldn't figure out how to hardwire it though, if someone could point me in the right direction I would love to do it without add a circuit [MENTION=3818]Mitus[/MENTION].

d830efcf50bd2454bc7ce9bd25c9c88f.jpg

Mitus

I just installed mine. I couldn't figure out how to hardwire it though, if someone could point me in the right direction I would love to do it without add a circuit @Mitus.

[MENTION=5495]beefyMiracle[/MENTION] We simply followed the instructions provided by Perrin. Are you having problems locating a specific wire or what's the issue?

vFfXhlE.jpg

No, the instructions were clear, and I got it working with add a circuts. Those are just the "high school ricer" solution in my eyes.

I couldn't find a diagram for the wire harnesses I wanted to use. Not confident enough to tap random wires either until something works haha.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Great write up I'll eventually figure out a Guage system for my sti and now am considering the perrin guages

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ae64.com helped me with figuring out the wiring, my gauges (and radar) are wired to my stereo now.

I've had my boost gauge for a few months now, love it. My only gripe is the T connector is a little small to easily fit in a line without a lot of hose clamp help.

I just installed the oil temp gauge last weekend, also another great gauge. something to be noted: make sure you torque the sandwich to 55 ft lbs. The galley plugs for the sensors seem to be even tighter than that. My dumbass didn't read the instructions online and just hand tightened it because "that's how oil filters go on", and I was losing a ton of oil. I have changed my oil 3 times in the last 2 days attempting to get this to work :/

Luckily the problem is solved now....now I just need to figure out how to get all of that oil off the bottom of my car.