Aftermarket EBCS. When is it actually needed?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'd like to get the straight dope on boost control.

In short:
What are the limits to the factory bcs; when is an upgrade needed?

Long-winded version:
I've been trying to read up on if i need an EBCS (i have no interest in the MBC route), and I can't find concise, factual info. Is the OEM BCS a good unit, but only up to a certain power/boost level? Is it just mediocre to begin with, and you'll see more consistent boost levels with one of the aftermarket ones? I don't want to skip an upgrade because I'm too cheap, but I don't want to go replacing things that are perfectly good for my application. I haven't completely decided on what my end goal is, but I'd like some good guidelines that I can use to decide if an aftermarket one is necessary.

Last edited:

Z1107

Grimmspeed EBCS, totally worth it. I run a MBC but know alot of people who run the grimmspeed and love it. Will be upgrading to one later.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Grimmspeed EBCS, totally worth it. I run a MBC but know alot of people who run the grimmspeed and love it. Will be upgrading to one later.

That's what i've read a lot of...just not the reasons why.

JimKHana

From what I understand it will hold more consistent boost levels especiallly as you get into higher rpms.

tapatalkin

Vermont

I'd like to get the straight dope on boost control.

In short:
What are the limits to the factory bcs; when is an upgrade needed?

Long-winded version:
I've been trying to read up on if i need an EBCS (i have no interest in the MBC route), and I can't find concise, factual info. Is the OEM BCS a good unit, but only up to a certain power/boost level? Is it just mediocre to begin with, and you'll see more consistent boost levels with one of the aftermarket ones? I don't want to skip an upgrade because I'm too cheap, but I don't want to go replacing things that are perfectly good for my application. I haven't completely decided on what my end goal is, but I'd like some good guidelines that I can use to decide if an aftermarket one is necessary.

Good questions! Maybe I can help answer some of them for you.

First off when ever any one has questions in regards to Subaru boost control I always like to point them to here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3482

Now after you read that, I am sure you will be wondering which unit to upgrade too. Well the truth is most of the 3-port after market ECBS do the same thing. They provide more stable boost control. I myself also noticed an increase in how fast I was able to spool and how long I could hold it for as well.... Now the key with an ECBS is that it has to be paired up with a tuner who knows what he is doing with them. If the tuner sucks at using the factory boost control tables then you will see no befits from this. These are often the tuners who suggest going to a MBC. Now while some people while swear up and down that it performs better the fact of the matter is that the factory boost control system paired with an aftermarket 3-port will perform just as well and comes with a slew of other features. The reason you want to avoid an MBC is that they bring with them the chance of partial throttle full boost. This is a situation where the boost is building much higher than the fuel tables can deal with. What you end up getting is detonation under light load/cruising conditions. An upgraded ECBS will not cause this problem as the ECU has tables to compensate for this. Also atmospheric pressure changes and a slew of other things. The MBC can do none of that.

Now As too when you should pick up a new EBCS? Well I personally feel that any upgrades after an OTS stage 2. So for any type of pro-tune I would suggest one. Once again this depends on the tuner. If the tuner is no capable of taking advantage of the added benefits a 3-port confers then the money is wasted. As for brand... I went with grimmspeed due the fact that I knew the fitment would be bang on, and it was. Just a simple one bolt and a few hoses... Honestly though any brand will work. Heck even the ebay ones are fine if you are willing to splice wires....

Just as a closing thought for you, an aftermarket 3-port ECBS is nothing more than a tool to help the tuner work with boost. Now if you are going to be tuning the car your self? well heck we can go more in depth as to what to do when that time comes.