How To: VA Do a Vacuum Leak Test

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Have a rough idle but runs fine through the gears then dies when you press in the clutch or stop? It's probably a vacuum leak. In here I will discuss how to build a tester for ~$20 provided you already have or have access to an air compressor. If not, it's a good investment as well and I got a really good one for $200. Anyways,

Tools needed:
Flathead screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Tube of silicone
Drill was helpful but not needed
Gloves and eyepro
air compressor
or
bike pump (though it's not as effecient)

**Ok, when you do this, you need to do the test post-maf so you don't run the risk of ruining the maf sensor (so I've heard) plus it keeps you in the engine bay if you're running a cold air intake.**

STEPS 1-3 refer to this pic
showintake.jpg

1. First take off the maf sensor (BLUE ARROW). You can either unclip it then unscrew it with your phillips head or just unscrew it and safely lay it aside somewhere.

2. Whatever intake you're using, you need to take it off by undoing the clamp to the turbo inlet (RED ARROW) using a flathead screwdriver.

3. Undo the last clamp on the coupler (YELLOW ARROW) as this is what you really need.

4. Now that you have your intake coupler, head over to your local Home Depot, Lowes or whatever, it's time to assemble your tester.

5. Once there, take your coupler to the pvc piping section and try to find:
-a PVC female adapter socket
-a male screw in cap that will fit inside your turbo inlet coupler like this
top_cap.jpg
-a male industrial fitting for the air compressor.
or
-a valve stem for the bike pump

6. Now you might have to use some enginuity (I even asked for help since I couldn't find the exact size I needed) in finding the pieces. This is what mine came out like:
DSCN0324.jpg
Not the prettiest thing but it works. I had to use a coupler that I stretched to fit one end and clamped the *%&* out of the other end.​

7. Ok so now you have all your pieces. Take the silicone and squirt some on the threads to the PVC cap threads and spread it over all the threads for the best seal. Screw it into the female socket. Let it dry for an hour or so to be sure it's dry.​

8. Now you need to make a hole on the top square piece of the PVC cap for the air fitting. A drill made it super easy. DON'T MAKE IT TOO BIG. Take the industrial fitting and attempt to screw it into the cap. It will self tap if you can get it started, which you want. If you do make the hole too big, I'm sure you can use washers etc but you just made it more time comsuming.
DSCN0323.jpg

9. After you got your fitting in there nice and snugg, get that silicone again and I went ape poop in the underside of the cap to ensure there were NO leaks around the fitting, threads of the cap etc. Be sure not to cover the fittings air exit (duh). Let all that dry. Check it every so ofter after about 30-45min. If it's not completely dry and you run air through it, it's just going to blow through the silicone and leak.

10. Now get the clamps to secure this to the turbo inlet coupler and back to the inlet.

*Wear your glasses/goggles for this part*
11. Hook up your air compressor or bike pump to the fitting and run 20psi through the system. If you're running 25psi on your setup, if something is going to leak or come loose, 20psi is enough. If something pops off with 20psi, it can cause injury!

12. Look, listen and feel for leaks around:
-the turbo inlet @ the turbo
-turbo inlet fittings to the intake manifold
-pcv lines which are behind the stock fpr. It's between the turbo inlet/ turb and throttle body, directly behind the manifold, coming from the block.
-throttle body vacuum lines such as the blue areas shown here:
TB.jpg

Those are just SOME examples. If it's a small leak, you'll hear a hiss, look for small lines. If it's a huge one, you'll feel it but might not hear it. Take off your gloves and feel for cool air and stick your head close to the lines (with your eyepro on). Hope you guys find your leaks I found 4 :tard:

Last edited:

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I even used my 4'' -> 3.5'' KSTech inlet (when I went rotated) for my exhaust and bought a bigger cap. I did the same thing with 20psi through the exhaust...GOOD THING I did as my turbo wasn't even close to being bolted to the uppipe which I thought was really tight!!

Oh and a pic of my failed oem turbo inlet
torninlet.jpg

torninlet2.jpg

cobbtunedsti

Very nice.. I never thought about hooking it up to the exhast?? I think I have a exhast leak which is causing my over boosting:( Previous to my build I had a crack in my header causing a over boost issue.. Do I just hook it to the tail pipe...???

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Yep. Probly don't need as much boost but I did 20psi still. It was sad. 3 of my 4 bolts from uppipe/turbo weren't all the way seated as a lip on the nuts were hitting the turbine housing. My V-band wasn't tightening right either so that would have been another one. VERY usefull.

cobbtunedsti

Good I'll make a something to go over the tail pipe then. Can't wait.. I've been smelling exhast in my cab at light throttle ..

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
lol doesn't your ewg dta?

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
nm, I could of swore you were ewg, mine dump right in front of the passenger.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Nice. Even added a pressure gauge, nice touch. How much did you spend? What are the valves going to?

cobbtunedsti

The valve keep the system from jumping to 130psi (compressor side). So I just release the air slowly and not at once. I use an old Perrin coolant tank that didn't fit and the rest was about $13. I'll post another pic today on the exhast leak tester

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Great write up!

I dont buy PVC often...what would the correct size be to mate to the OEM turbo inlet? Is it measured in OD or ID, etc..?

Thanks!

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
I just measured my first portion with the a/c compressor connection (original I made for stock turbo inlet) and it was 2 3/8" outer diameter. The coupler and additional adaptor I used in the pics are for my 3.5" portion of the new intake.

I have read on many other threads that it is advised to remove the oil cap while doing this. Is this something you guys suggest as well to keep from damaging seals?

I am chasing down a small vacuum leak on my car right now and have followed the steps above, but only pushed 10psi through the system. Any recommendations?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Smoke test it or try and spray some injector cleaner around all of the connections and listen for idle changes.
Plain old air test is good for big leaks or if your lucky, the small ones but the small ones are hard to find.
Logging can also help pinpoint where to look.
Also, done anything recently to the engine? Mods or removed/replaced anything? You might go back and check your work if so.

Smoke test it or try and spray some injector cleaner around all of the connections and listen for idle changes.
Plain old air test is good for big leaks or if your lucky, the small ones but the small ones are hard to find.
Logging can also help pinpoint where to look.
Also, done anything recently to the engine? Mods or removed/replaced anything? You might go back and check your work if so.

Along with pressurizing the system, I used soapy water to help pinpoint them. I found a decent leak at the bypass valve gasket and have replaced it, but my fuel trims are still showing positive correction. I'll do it again for safe measures.

Just want to be sure I won't blow any seals by pushing more psi through it without removing the oil filler cap or blocking off vent lines.