04 STi rear wheel locked

Car has been parked for several months, started her up finally and now rear passenger wheel is locked. Had it in the air and can hear a it try to engage but acts like the ebrake is on, but isn't since the other three wheels spin.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
If the ebrake IS stuck, try putting it in reverse to break it loose (the way they're designed, going forward tends to tighten them, reverse loosen).

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
the car wont move? or just in the air the wheel wont move? my question is have you trying to actually drive it in gear?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So if you try to drive, the rear tire just slides?

Its either the main brake, the ebrake, or the diff.

Take off the wheel, take out the rear brake pads. If it wont move still, you've eliminated one problem.

It won't move while in gear, forward or reverse. While in the air can move it just a 1/4 inch back and forth.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
if it hasnt moved in a few months it might be a good idea to drain the diff fluids and get new fluid in there anyway..

Plan on changing all three this weekend after I get the rear wheel unlocked I'm guessing it is the ebrake since that's how I parked it with ebrake on.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
was the car parked outside? did it have a cover on? if not water and moisture in the air gets on the brakes and they can get a thin layer of rust on them which is pretty hard to break free.. i would think trying to drive the car would be enough force to free it but i guess not.. my suggestion would be to take the brakes off and try nd get that rotor off to see but it will be pretty hard if it is the ebrake that is rusted. good luck friend let us know how it turns out

They were all locked at first was only able to get three to break free, will take it apart see if it's the ebrake, yeah parked outside with no cover and we've had lots of rain. Need to start getting in the habit of parking it in gear instead of ebrake.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i always use both just in case the ebrake fails.. my car has 113k on it now and the ebrake doesnt hold very well on an incline

Grinder34

Track Monkey
+1 on warpanda. The rust should break free with all the weight on the wheels. I'd try to rock the car. First forwards, then backwards.

Heres my best explanation as to why:

8.jpg

Or for a more simplified example, hold your hands in front of you, fingers towards the cieling, thumbs towards you as if you're awkwardly holding a plate. Your thumbs are basically the pivots. Now imagine that there's a ring just outside of your hands...that's the drum. As the brake is engaged your fingers go out, as if the plate grew, and press against the inside of the drum. Driving one way will tend to tighten one side by dragging it into the pivot, but pull the other side away from the pivot. So you need to go forward and reverse to brake both free.

Other options:

1) Tap vigorously with a rubber mallot to brake things free. Esp when combined with #2

2) There are two holes (IIRC) that you can screw a bolt into in order to remove/replace the rotor/drum. Trying to get things broken free laterally like that might work.

Thanks for all the help, took the wheel off was the ebrake. Did not have a rubber mallet was careful with the hammer and was able the get the ebrake free, took her for a spin sounds a little rusty from sitting forever but she is running now.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
If ur gunna drive the car now nd its not gunna sit i would suggest getting new brakes and replacing the fluid as well.. Doesnt have to happen tomorrow but it would b a good idea. Glad we could help man

And thats all i have to say about that...