Brembo Brake Balance and Caliper Rebuild?

I went to the track a month ago and had some brake issues arise and need some help. The right front wore the pads to nothing (Bare Metal) but the left front had a 1/4" left. Is this normal and if not how do I correct it. Also it seems that the pad wears uneven in the sense that the pad wears more closer to the hub then the outer portion. Also the seals or rather the rubber boots over the pistons melted and I need to replace them. Should I rebuild the front calipers or should I just replace those rubber boots. Oh and the Hawk HPS pads don't do so well when you cook them!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I went to the track a month ago and had some brake issues arise and need some help. The right front wore the pads to nothing (Bare Metal) but the left front had a 1/4" left. Is this normal and if not how do I correct it. Also it seems that the pad wears uneven in the sense that the pad wears more closer to the hub then the outer portion. Also the seals or rather the rubber boots over the pistons melted and I need to replace them. Should I rebuild the front calipers or should I just replace those rubber boots. Oh and the Hawk HPS pads don't do so well when you cook them!

I've never had pads wear evenly, always a bit different from side to side or inner/outer. I wouldn't be concerned.

Wearing stronger from one one end to the other sounds a bit like your calipers aren't putting the clamps on evenly or you've got some runout on your rotors. Considering you've cooked your brakes, it doesn't surprise me.

I'd rebuild them since you've got them hot enough to melt things. Depending on the fluid, you probably boiled it, too.
Never been impressed with Hawk pads.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
The OEM brembos are good, not great IMO. I, too, had problems with overheating at the track. Installing some ducts may help (roo ducts, quantum hubs), but it may not. You can also get some titanium shims that help prevent heat transfer to the the calipers and hubs (wheel bearings!) but they probably dont do THAT much. You really need to upgrade to a better pad if you're getting good heat at the track. There is literally nothing that will work on the street and a track if you're pushing it. Even with the Hawk DTC-30 (on paper it looks like a dual-use) on the way to the track the first brake application was always scary...and that was in the summer.

I didnt want to risk it with something that really can save my life at the track so I upgraded to a BBK. Considering that you can save yourself the cost of a rebuild, sell the OEM stuff, and skip the cost of new pads, its not *THAT* expensive. Plus you know it'll perform better. I got a great deal from one of our vendors here.

Last edited:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Definitely agree with [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]. A bbk may be a great investment if you plan to use your brakes at the track.
Ducting might help but I think it to only do so much if your running a track with heavy braking with stock components. Changing pads to a race only pad at the track will also help. Changing pads in the brembos are easy and only take a few minutes per corner.